Contribution based new ESA. — Scope | Disability forum

Contribution based new ESA.

mickmyboy Member Posts: 1 Listener
i always worked and a while ago i had an accident and now both my legs are poor and painfull to walk when i went to the job center to hand in my form they said i should recieve free precriptions on ESA but dident tell me about the different types or anything so when i needed my pain killers i went to the doctors got my precription went to the chemist got my pills and thought nothing from this and recently i recieved a fine , i was shocked most of my weekly bennifit but i was aware it was free untill i contacted the number on the letter and said you have to pay you ticked the box wrong i found this very stressfull as bennifits is all i have and im a single father so i called ESA and they said because you worked and paid all your taxes you have to pay for perscription,s but people who havent worked or paid enougth taxes dont ....what a joke so if i sat at home and did drugs or get drunk all day i get free everything but because i worked i get punished this government is a joke i have no savings and this will put me in debt and to make it worse ive had about another four persciptions since then but they only do checks every 3 months so ive got a whole bunch of new charges now coming plus ive been to the dentist and opticians and apparently we dont get them free either so god knows whats going to happen i have applied for free number one form cant remeber what its called but if that doesent happen then i will not be able to go to the doctors because i cant afford the medication ....sorry everybody about the spelling ect i have dislexia.


  • michfinch
    michfinch Member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    I get my Prescriptions free because I have a long-term illness, Epilepsy, which requires continuous medication. I would check with your Doctor to see....
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,659 Disability Gamechanger

    The reason is because Contributions based ESA isn't means tested. This means that other household income and saving aren't counted when claiming these types of benefits. A person can be a millionaire and still be entitled to claim contributions based benefits.

    For yourself because you have no other household income then you need to take a look at the NHS low income scheme. Filling out the HC2 form will allow you to get free NHS treatment. Of course you will have to wait for a decision to be made on this before ticking the box and claiming the treatment, including prescriptions. If you're entitled then they'll send you a certificate which you'll be able to use and then be able to tick the relevant box.

    See link for details.

  • KG100
    KG100 Member Posts: 178 Pioneering
    You can get a pre-paid certificate each year for 10 monthly payments of only £10.40p.
    I do this and save a lot of money over the course of a year. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,659 Disability Gamechanger
    KG100 said:
    You can get a pre-paid certificate each year for 10 monthly payments of only £10.40p.
    I do this and save a lot of money over the course of a year. 
    The NHS low Income scheme doesn't cost anything, then all NHS treatment is free. All you need to do is fill out a form.  Mickmyboy says he's a single dad with no other income other than benefits.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,555 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mickmyboy and a warm welcome to the community. I hope the advice provided above will mean you can get free prescriptions. If there is anything else we can support you with then please do let us know :)


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.