Our Richard is in the news - Disabled dad stranded at train station — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Our Richard is in the news - Disabled dad stranded at train station

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
A disabled dad says he got stranded at a railway station which allows wheelchair users to arrive but not leave.
Richard Luke arrived at the station with wife Natalie, 35, and daughter Scarlett, 11, and was able to use a ramp to get off the train and a lift to get off the platform
But when they returned to the station after a weekend away there were not facilities to allow him get back on the train and head home.
Thank you @Richard_Scope for sharing your story.

Read the full story here and let us know what you think and if you have ever had problems with transport.
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sam_Scope   Thank you for sharing.  My first thoughts hope Richard is OK.

I can imagine a stressful time and lots of anxiety.

I have the added problems my self since losing my car. Getting taxis.  You think it is a simple one to ring or text.

The problems are that many taxis firms are booked up. As many of us have lost cars or the transport system is not very good.

Especially in rural areas where I live.  Long times waiting.

The taxi firm I choose are familiar with me even so it still an anxious time when booking.  As they can be booked up.  

One time rang around four taxi firms all booked up.

I did ask about disabled.  Some do not have the adaptions needed on taxis to accommodate those in wheel chairs and are expected to help them selves.

I am OK and can walk but it is those who are in wheelchairs need a taxi the choice limited.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Tried to sort tbis problem in the 80s still nothing done to help disabled people in railway staions
  • linlin01
    linlin01 Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
    You are braver than me @Richard_Scope.  Last time I traveled in a wheelchair on a train was 5 years ago and I haven't yet build up the activation energy to do it again.  It's far too difficult on your own, and can be humiliating, the way you are treated, when you are with someone else.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear about your horrendous journey that you and your family had to endure recently, Richard. That was awful!  Thanks for sharing with us and I am glad you made it home in the end.  You must have been shattered at the end of it all!  I tend not to use trains these days, instead opting for the car or a taxi as just find them more bother than they are worth sometimes.  To be honest I have a bit of an anxiety of them travelling on my own simply because I would worry something like that would go wrong.  Some years ago I was travelling to Edinburgh with my parents and had booked a ramp on the train only to discover they hadn't put one on after all and we were advised that the next train arriving would definitely have one so were kept waiting for a bit which was frustrating.  Luckily we were only going on a day trip and so there were no time limits on us, but this could have been an appointment we needed to get to and so would have been worse.  Public transport really need to improve for disabled users as your story clearly indicates.  
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hiya, crikey, it's like they don't WANT us to travel and work and go on holiday and be parents and.... Etc... Sigh...

I got dropped off from a bus once... Then couldn't move ha! Cos it dropped me onto this weird pavement island about 2x1metre with MASSIVE curbs all round.... 

I had to wait for the next bus ?.... Then ask him to drop me off 3 metres along the road!!! 

• Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    I had the same issue when attending treatment and physiotherapy at University College Hospital London, in the end the hospital had to provide me with transport but as they were not allowed to only book transport one way I had transport to and from my appointments for a year - there are loads of stations all over the country that have this issue it's like people with disabilities, luggage or kids in buggies only ever travel in one direction so they don't need to worry about providing options to stairs in the opposing direction
  • linlin01
    linlin01 Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
    mossycow said:
    Hiya, crikey, it's like they don't WANT us to travel and work and go on holiday and be parents and.... Etc... Sigh...

I got dropped off from a bus once... Then couldn't move ha! Cos it dropped me onto this weird pavement island about 2x1metre with MASSIVE curbs all round.... 

I had to wait for the next bus ?.... Then ask him to drop me off 3 metres along the road!!! 

Oh dear! My sympathies are with you - you really have to keep your wits about you and be very resourceful and patient when you're travelling with health restrictions don't you?  I bet you thought you'd never get off that island....
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Trains are tricky. I was on a train on Thursday with my son. With a friend helping me, I succeeded in safely pushing his wheelchair onto the train. We were going to see a musical and then have Chinese food afterwards. 
  • Maggie_Pie
    Maggie_Pie Community member Posts: 22 Courageous

We were going to see a musical and then have Chinese food afterwards. 
    Difficulties in doing what we like doing is a big problem.  The Equality Act 2010 is meant to make it possible for disabled people to live as normal a life as possible, but the law in question is being ignored.  I've given up on trains but I can use buses and coaches.  Re. the latter, National Express are great - not so Megabus.  I enjoy a day or even a week-end away in London, visiting the National Gallery and eating at Govinda's (both of which are accessible).  I was there for the week-end just gone but couldn't get from The Strand to Victoria Coach Station because Transport for London had stopped running the number 11 bus and the 24; actually, they had cancelled or re-routed very many buses..  I was told my only option was to take the Underground to Embankment, but I can't use the Underground; I do not know if I will be able to get on and off the tube trains without assistance, plus I am unable to use escalators, only lifts.  So I was stuck and missed my coach home in consequence.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm really sorry your trip was marred by transport issues @Maggie_Pie. Do you find similar issues using overground trains?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.