I am worried about my pip assessment and suicide question - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am worried about my pip assessment and suicide question

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    No one said you weren’t actually allowed to mention the lies and contradictions in the report. ...You need to prove those descriptors apply to you and doing so will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

@happyman - I agree with Poppy on this. My assessment wasn't done well and had a lot of lies, misrepresentation and inaccuracies. Like a lot of people who post on here I was annoyed and upset and I began to focus on the tiniest little thing - even down to the assessor being late and not shutting the door.

Looking back I dealt with this very badly:-

Even if you can prove that the assessor lied it's a hollow victory. You need to show why you should get PIP and 'disproving' the reasons the assessor gave for you not getting it won't achieve this. If the assessor said that you can walk 200 metres and you can show that this is wrong you still haven't evidenced how far you can walk.

It's hard to be positive when you've been treated unfairly but concentrating on negative things (as I found to my cost) isn't the way to go...
  • jaktag
    jaktag Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    I am so sorry you  feel as bad as you do.I am awaiting my PIP decision.The assessors report was full of lies,like most of them are.I fear i will get nothing too and if i do get nothing i cant face appealing it.Whats the point its a corrupt system.I am glad i will claim my state pension in 5 years.I just wish it was a few year nearer for me.That way i could tell them to stick their PIP and ESA.Like you i am totally disgusted with it all and too ill to fight them.Its about time something changed for the better.We have years more of fighting the corrups system too as i have a severely autistic 6 yr old granddaughter.We have had to fight for her diagnosis and her education.Its never ending.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    happyman said:
    after sleeping on it i am not sure if i am going to appeal. I went to my doctors and they were shocked and disgusted. They said i need the help, but they are also worried about me being rejected. They said, all PIP need to do is to spend 24 hours with me and see the problems i face each day. They are concerned how it will affect my stress levels. The problem I have is, why appeal when i am not allowed to mention how many lies the assessor told, which includes saying i did tests which i refused to do. When a person reads my application form, and then reads my appeal, and then reads a so called professional (the assessor) they are going to and unstandably say well the assessor says he is fine, he did that test and did this test. i was perfectly fine. They are not going to go with my appeal are they. The pip assessor form should be a legal document where if it has false information on it then the person filling it in can be charged with the public office offence. My wife reduced her work hours by half so she could look after me, and my daughter gave up her promotion to look after me. I struggle with forms, so the way i feel at the moment is, what is the point in appealing. its a shame there was not a professional organisation who helps people with the appeal process. It is like these assessors get a bonus for lying and keeping people from getting help
    Hello again....this is exactly what THEY hope you`ll do ie give up! Please dont give up. You are focussing so much on the lies...which of course we all understand and feel aggrieved by....but dont let that crowd your mind and block out the high chance of a turnaround at tribunal.
    I am expecting a bad result but WILL fight it.......come on, we`re all behind you on this chuck xxxx
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    happyman said:
    after sleeping on it i am not sure if i am going to appeal. I went to my doctors and they were shocked and disgusted. They said i need the help, but they are also worried about me being rejected. They said, all PIP need to do is to spend 24 hours with me and see the problems i face each day. They are concerned how it will affect my stress levels. The problem I have is, why appeal when i am not allowed to mention how many lies the assessor told, which includes saying i did tests which i refused to do. When a person reads my application form, and then reads my appeal, and then reads a so called professional (the assessor) they are going to and unstandably say well the assessor says he is fine, he did that test and did this test. i was perfectly fine. They are not going to go with my appeal are they. The pip assessor form should be a legal document where if it has false information on it then the person filling it in can be charged with the public office offence. My wife reduced her work hours by half so she could look after me, and my daughter gave up her promotion to look after me. I struggle with forms, so the way i feel at the moment is, what is the point in appealing. its a shame there was not a professional organisation who helps people with the appeal process. It is like these assessors get a bonus for lying and keeping people from getting help
    The real problem is that the assessors are employed by companies hired by the UK government to radically reduce the number of individuals who are claiming disability related benefits. They have no real interest in understanding the real issues we experience on a day to day basis. It is all about reducing disability related benefits so the the government can reduce taxes and so that the politicians and those who fund them can make more money and get richer at the expense of the disabled. So the lies and manipulation of the system are how they try to explain deny the disabled the support they need, so that they and their sponsors can make more money by avoiding providing the support those who may have a wide variety of disabilities may require.

My PIPs Tribunal hearing was ajourned last week.
  • happyman
    happyman Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    dolfrog said:
    happyman said:
    The real problem is that the assessors are employed by companies hired by the UK government to radically reduce the number of individuals who are claiming disability related benefits. They have no real interest in understanding the real issues we experience on a day to day basis. It is all about reducing disability related benefits so the the government can reduce taxes and so that the politicians and those who fund them can make more money and get richer at the expense of the disabled. So the lies and manipulation of the system are how they try to explain deny the disabled the support they need, so that they and their sponsors can make more money by avoiding providing the support those who may have a wide variety of disabilities may require.

My PIPs Tribunal hearing was ajourned last week.
    why was is ajounred
  • happyman
    happyman said:
    Hello again....this is exactly what THEY hope you`ll do ie give up! Please dont give up. You are focussing so much on the lies...which of course we all understand and feel aggrieved by....but dont let that crowd your mind and block out the high chance of a turnaround at tribunal.
    I am expecting a bad result but WILL fight it.......come on, we`re all behind you on this chuck xxxx
    I have panic attacks, and the thought of me having to go to a tribunal scares me, being in a room full of strangers.
  • happyman
    No one said you weren’t actually allowed to mention the lies and contradictions in the report. What was advised was if you do mention them then it won’t help you because you can’t prove what did or didn’t happen.

You need to prove those descriptors apply to you and doing so will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

A poorly presented case can often lead to refusal, which is why you were advised against mentioning those lies. 

The MR decision will most likely remain the same but appearing in person at your Tribunal hearing will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. 
    appearing in person worries me. I struggle with strangers.
  • dolfrog
    Because they, the panel, needed time to read the international research that explains the complex nature of my disability, which was ignored by the assessor and colleagues who produced a report which was pure disability discrimination.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    @happyman it is not a room full of people. It’s 3-4 people say around a table. It’s not a court room and nothing formal like a court. They are totally independent to DWP and the health assessment providers. Take someone with you, a family member or a friend. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dolfrog
    edited October 2019
    happyman said:
    No one said you weren’t actually allowed to mention the lies and contradictions in the report. What was advised was if you do mention them then it won’t help you because you can’t prove what did or didn’t happen.

You need to prove those descriptors apply to you and doing so will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

A poorly presented case can often lead to refusal, which is why you were advised against mentioning those lies. 

The MR decision will most likely remain the same but appearing in person at your Tribunal hearing will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. 
    appearing in person worries me. I struggle with strangers.
    What you are describing could be Auditory Processing Disorder, which is my specific disability, the brain having problems processing the sounds that the ears hear, which can include sound based communication such as speech. Strangers pose a problem as we are not familiar with their body language and lip movements when they speak, this can be a coping strategy to work around our limitations using lipreading and reading body language. 
    The temporal type of Auditory Processing Disorder, having problems processing the gaps between sounds which can include the gaps between words in rapid speech, is the main underlying cognitive cause of dyslexia, which can cause problems when having to fill out forms created by others using new and unfamiliar terminology to make issues difficult to understand by the general population. 
    I was the first adult in the UK to be clinically diagnosed as having Auditory Processing Disorder back in 2003, at the request of the UK Medical Research Council so that I could set up and help run a support organisation for those diagnosed  as having Auditory Processing Disorder by their 5 year Auditory Processing Disorder research program 2004-2009.
    Unfortunately we are still having to educate UK audiologists regarding the Four types of Auditory processing Disorder 

• happyman
    Can I ask when you do the mandority review, has anyone gone to their  doctor for a letter and anyone who is treating them to send with the review letter. I have no confidence so I am not sure if it is a good thing to do or not. The last thing I want to do is annoy the people treating Me
  • poppy123456
    A letter from a GP isn’t the best evidence to send because they very rarely know how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. They mostly only know the basics like medication and diagnosis etc.

The best thing you can do when writing the MR is to give 2/3 real life examples. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • happyman
    Can anyone send me a successfull review letter and example how to set out the reasons please 
  • poppy123456
    happyman said:
    Can anyone send me a successfull review letter and example how to set out the reasons please 
    I’m assuming you mean MR request letter and not a review letter? If so then you can’t compare someone else to yourself because all conditions are different. 

What i I advise you to do is look at the descriptors and start with activity one preparing food... are you able to prepare and cook a simple meal yourself? If you can’t why can’t you? Do you need an aid? If so why? Then add the examples.

Do be aware that if an aid can reasonably be used, you will score points for this rather than score points for needing assistance.  If you need assistance then you must tell them why this is needed and what happened the last time you attempted that activity alone. 

Have you read read the link I posted in one of the comments? I would urge you to spend some time to read that link because it will give you a better understanding of the descriptors and what they mean. Having some knowledge definitely helps. There’s a lot of very useful information in that link. It’s very easy to score yourself points if you don’t fully understand it and it’s not always possible to score the points you think you should score. 

The only person that knows how your conditions affect you is yourself. 

• happyman
    happyman said:
    I’m assuming you mean MR request letter and not a review letter? If so then you can’t compare someone else to yourself because all conditions are different. 

What i I advise you to do is look at the descriptors and start with activity one preparing food... are you able to prepare and cook a simple meal yourself? If you can’t why can’t you? Do you need an aid? If so why? Then add the examples.

Do be aware that if an aid can reasonably be used, you will score points for this rather than score points for needing assistance.  If you need assistance then you must tell them why this is needed and what happened the last time you attempted that activity alone. 

Have you read read the link I posted in one of the comments? I would urge you to spend some time to read that link because it will give you a better understanding of the descriptors and what they mean. Having some knowledge definitely helps. There’s a lot of very useful information in that link. It’s very easy to score yourself points if you don’t fully understand it and it’s not always possible to score the points you think you should score. 

The only person that knows how your conditions affect you is yourself. 

I have not said copy have I. What I am looking at is the correct way of doing like you would for a c v or a p p I letter. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @happyman, how are you getting on today? :)
    Scope

• happyman
    i got the letter today which said i scored no points. i am so shocked. my doctor has said i need to appeal and my health team including a nurse has said i need to appeal. but, reading what has been said and how they most of the time go with the assessment and the automatic appeal, and then having to wait a year to go through the appeal process, i am not sure if i have the energy to do it
  • EricaMcD
    EricaMcD Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    I am sorry to hear the outcome of your assessment.  Please follow the advice of your doctor and health team.  This is the time to let friends support you emotionally and in any other way they can.  If you haven't gone onto the benefits and work website?  If not,. you and others supporting you may find this website useful in submitting an appeal.  Please keep us in the community informed about how you are doing.        
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Hi @happyman, I am so sorry to hear this. I imagine appealing is a big decision for you. It is completely your choice about whether or not you appeal. Yet I can assure you that the community can support you through this.

The first stage of an appeal is a mandatory reconsideration. Ideally this is done within a month of the decision being made. This can be done online where you outline 2-3 times which descriptors you meet and why (using real life examples). 

If we can help in any other way then please do let us know.
    Scope

• happyman
    Hi @happyman, I am so sorry to hear this. I imagine appealing is a big decision for you. It is completely your choice about whether or not you appeal. Yet I can assure you that the community can support you through this.

The first stage of an appeal is a mandatory reconsideration. Ideally this is done within a month of the decision being made. This can be done online where you outline 2-3 times which descriptors you meet and why (using real life examples). 

If we can help in any other way then please do let us know.
    Thank you.

Can I ask if anyone has had any success reporting their assessor for lying. As you know my assessor lied more than ten times in the report, which includes saying i did tests that i refused to do because of pain, and also putting down tests that i was never asked to do.

So, i am wondering if anyone has had any success in reporting their assessor for lying. Also, is the assessment report a legal document or an official document, and if so, can the assessor be investigated by the police for lying on a legal or official report.

Also, i have read that PIP have introduced where the assessments are recorded either through video or sound recording. I was not told about this in the meeting. I would like to know if this is true as if it is then the recording will show the officials at PIP that the assessor lied more than ten times. And if they do record them, how do i get a hold of the recording to use in my appeal.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.