PIP and Mental Health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and Mental Health

Options
pkeith95
pkeith95 Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
edited October 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi All,

I applied for PIP on the 22nd May 2019, filled out and returned the forms around the 2nd July 2019 and had my F2F assessment on the 9th October 2019 (after a couple of cancellations due to staff sicknesses).  The report made it to the DWP the next morning ;) and I've just requested a copy of that report for my records.

I just wanted to know how peoples experiences have been with claiming PIP for mental health issues, specifically anxiety and depressive disorders?

I suffer with extreme anxiety and depression and have done for over 3 years now, following the breakdown of my career and losing all confidence in life generally.  I struggle to leave the house, engage socially, I don't answer the phone or the door.  Unsolicited mail can drive me into a panic.  I need support to go on any journeys to avoid panic and a huge amount of psychological distress.

My assessment was terrifying but I was so fortunate to have a mental health nurse as my assessor.  She was brilliant and let me talk everything through, let me dry my tears when it became all too much and, she had amazing insight to what I was saying.

I guess my question is, has anyone had a generally positive experience of claiming PIP for mental health issues?  Did you find the assessment report accurately described what you had said?  Did the decision reflect that?  How long after your assessment did you receive a decision?

I realise that these topics are discussed at length on forums but I would really like to create a space for these specific things.

Thank you all so much,

PK

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pkeith95 and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm so glad to hear that you had some who was understanding and I hope that helped a little. It is very possible to claim PIP for mental health and there will be people on the forum who have been successful with this. Like everything, there will be people with good and bad experiences.

I hope your report doesn't take too long to arrive, and this will give you an indicator about what award will be given as they rarely go against this.

Please do let us know if we can do anything else to help and I hope others share their experiences with you soon. :)
    Scope

• pkeith95
    Options
    Hi Chloe,

Thank you for the welcome :).

DWP said the report would be with me within 7 days, so not a huge amount of time to wait.

It was great to have that specific nurse but of course it’s still a terrifying process.  It’s hard to talk about mental health issues as you constantly feel like people simply don’t believe you. 

Hopefully a a good result will follow and I will definitely share with you all.

PK
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pkeith95, I can see why it would be really difficult to talk about. Sometimes saying things out loud can be hard as well. Fingers crossed for a positive result!! 
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have some similar health issues to you, pkeith95.

I’m glad you got a good, understanding assessor.

Sadly I did not have the same experience, mine was friendly enough on the day but in my opinion did not accurately describe my condition. They said I did not show any signs of being nervous or distressed when I was very much so.

The decision maker also decided I am able to make journeys unaided, when I cannot leave the house without one of my parents! I am currently in the process of appealing. 

As for how long, it took around 2 months from having the assessment to receiving my decision. 

I hope you get a good result when you get your decision.
  • pkeith95
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience, I hope your appeal is successful.  I can imagine how it affects your mental health.  Wish you the best of luck.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks very much and likewise. :smile:
  • pkeith95
    Options
    Hi all,

I just received a copy of the assessment report from the DWP.  On the whole I am very relieved as they reported everything I said correctly and the assessor recommended Enhanced Rate of Daily Living.  No Mobility, but I am not surprised as, despite overwhelming anxiety at times, I can get about if I am desperate.

So hopefully the DM at the DWP follows the report and I get the ER DL component.

Thanks again for your support.

PK
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    That sounds promising. Well done. Hope the end result is positive and you get what you deserve.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @pkeith95. It's very unusual for the decision maker not to go with the assessment report so hopefully you'll receive the award you're expecting. Let us know how you get on! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Options
    Hi, glad to hear your assessor seemed to understand.

My first assessor was great, took both my mental and physical health problems into account, awarded me enhanced for both for 5 years, I had my review assessment in April and I'm STILL waiting 28 weeks later. People say it's rare that the case manager goes against the report but that's exactly what's happened in my case, but I believe it was because there were a lot of discrepancies and contradictions in the report and it really didn't tally with the first report or evidence, the problem is, this is all having a huge impact on my health because of how long it's taking and the fact that my award is due to end in November which means my Son will also lose his carers money. The DWP aren't updating us and when you ask for updates they fob you off! When I ask people for help like Welfare Rights they seem like they can't be bothered and yes I do understand that they are busy but I've really not had a good experience with Welfare Rights from the start.
  • pkeith95
    Options
    I’m so sorry to hear that, I really hope they don’t keep you waiting long.  It’s so difficult, i’m not sure they realise just the effect it has on people’s lives.

Best of luck, I really hope it’s not too long for you. 

PK
  • pkeith95
    Options
    Hi @pkeith95. It's very unusual for the decision maker not to go with the assessment report so hopefully you'll receive the award you're expecting. Let us know how you get on! :)
    Thanks Adrian, hopefully that’s the case :) 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    @pkeith95 I hope you don't have to wait too long! Like others have said they usually go with the assessor's report. That may not give you much comfort during the wait but try and stay positive! I kept checking my bank account and the backpay went in a few days before I received the official notification!

• pkeith95
    Options
    Thank you! I do keep checking it too.  How long did you wait after your assessment? 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    @pkeith95 I will check but I think it was about 8 weeks. From the time the DWP received my application to f2f was really quick! The wait then for the brown envelope seemed to be forever! It doesn't help when the DWP start sending letters saying 'we have all the information we need'. You see the letter and think this is it!!! I'm sure you will be fine but I know it's hard to relax when it's you that's waiting. I had been unwell for years before I claimed and was pushed into it by a work colleague. I wish I had applied sooner but thought as I worked (now partly from home) I wouldn't be entitled to it. Still better late than never! Fingers crossed for you. 
  • pkeith95
    Options
    Good on you for putting yourself through it.  It is a horrid experience but I’m glad i’ve done it.  It’s similar for me too, been ill for a long time but didn’t know I could claim.  Let’s hope it’s not too long :) 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Options
    I've not heard anything back yet but I do know they dropped my award to standard when nothing has actually changed, it's beyond me why they bothered my GP for information if they wasn't going to pay attention to it, pretty disgusted to be honest. I found out because I had no money in the bank this morning, I decided to check my council tax account online and it's got the information in there.. Looks like I'll be doing an MR and maybe putting a complaint in when I get the letter.
  • pkeith95
    Options
    Was that after an assessment suggested Enhaced rate?  I’m so sorry to hear that.  I hope you’re able to fight through and get the award you need.

Does anyone know, if the DWP needs to phone you, do they use a recognised national number? I keep getting a local number call but they don’t leave a message and my anxiety is such that I don’t answer the phone unless I know the a caller, or they leave a message.  Would a local DWP office have a national number still? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I believe DWP either use a withheld number or an 0800 number.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pkeith95
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456 !

That’s made me feel so much better :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.