New here — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New here

mousey
mousey Scope Member Posts: 43 Courageous
Hi all, new here. Afraid this is a bit of a negative post. 

I often feel like my life is one step forward and two steps back, regarding my health. I have several mental illnesses, and several physical illnesses and co morbidities. Like steroid induced cataracts for example.

It’s not something I want to be dealing with at my age (20s)- I sometimes envy my peers who have their health. I want to be starting my own family and having a fulfilling career to support that family, buying my own home, adopting animals, being able to help my friends and family, being able to drive. Not barely scraping by, living month to month with no savings, and living completely alone.

I have recently started being more honest about the issues I face, so here’s to making it two steps forward and one step back. 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hello @mousey. Negative posts are fine. We can't help how we feel about things and I'm glad that you're willing to confront some of these issues.
    I'm sure there are many like-minded members who'll be able to relate to your situation, but if you need any support at all, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mousey and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm sorry to hear of your health struggles and can appreciate how difficult things are for you.  As @Adrian_Scope has said, negative posts are fine and it is good to get your feelings out in the open.  You will find the Community to be a very safe space to open up about things and you will be listened to and supported as everyone on here is lovely.  You have done the right thing in reaching out to us and I am sure that you will find a lot of support and friendship on the forum.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on and if there is anything at all you need help/support with then please just give us a shout.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @mousey welcome to the community. It must be an awful lot for you to deal with. The community and Scope Team are here should you need any support.
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    @mousey

Hello Mousey, welcome to the forum. We are sorry to hear that you are finding it difficult, the important thing is you are letting us know how you feel. Your not alone here and we will help support you. As well as various group discussions, we also have a Coffee Lounge which is also very active. We look forward to talking to you more.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mousey   Pleased to meet you .  Welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. You have come to the right place for support, advice and friendship.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and guide new members who join the community.

Please do not apologise for stating a negative post. This is fine we all of us this community understand and are supportive.

I use this forum all the time to give you reassurance to help me as I am on my own. Made a lot of friends and found great support and friendship.

Please can I suggest it might be worth looking at Mental Health charities.

I have mental health issues mainly anxiety and depression also have a physical disability long term.

I used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Get help with floating support or an outreach worker. Advice and guidance on your well being and anything else.

You can self refer or speak to your GP.

Unfortunately might not be in all areas.

Please if not in your area . Please consider looking at MIND.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

Please if I can help with anything please get in touch. Always ready to be supportive, listen anytime.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mousey and a warm welcome to the community! I too am in my 20's and can relate to a lot of what you have said. How are you doing today? :)
    Scope

• mousey
    mousey Scope Member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Thank you for the kind replies everyone! I'm sure I'll settle in here well. Even though it's not great struggling with disabilities I know it can help to relate to others with similar issues. Thank you!

@Chloe_Scope thank you for the welcome :) very exhausted today, I've had a busy one!  Hope you are doing okay. :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mousey - I haven't 'met', you before, so have just come to say I hope, perhaps, you may have had a bit of a chance to have a look around this very friendly community. I'm getting to know some here, and find it a good place, with helpful people. Even 'tho many have completely different disorders, or disabilities, as you say, we can relate to some of the similar issues we share, & support each other.
    Have you had a look at thespiceman's links, or found any support from those mentioned?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mousey, sorry to hear you've been exhausted. I really hope you've had a relaxing weekend, :)
    Scope

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mousey

Good Evening & Welcome ☃️☃️

I am also one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I can see that you have already had some great advice from a large number of our community.

This is great news and I do hope that you have found it helpful???

It’s great to hear ? that you are being more honest & taking more steps forward as this will help you “Big Time” believe me!!!!!!

@steve51

Brightness