social worker/care plan — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

social worker/care plan

Options
pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
On Friday next, I have a social worker coming to see me and hubby.
Just to briefly give you a run down of how my/our lives are;

I`ve been disabled for 20 years. Had to retire on ill health grounds at 47....yeh, I`m 67 now.
I`ve been mis-diagnosed twice and was discharged from local neuro dept 2 years ago, with a big fat ? on my forehead! I`m a full time wheelchair user and need hoisting for every transfer.

Hubby was my sole carer for 11 years. I knew it was hard on him, so got outside carers in 8 years ago. It helped....I currently have 28 hours, plus 2 sleepovers a week care.

So hubby looks after me for 120 hours a week. I am dependent on others for all personal care, cooking, housework, and taking out.

I`m asking for more help. We are worn out. Hubby is 71 now and feeling it, due to having both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Our life revolves round sorting me out! I feel such a burden and hate myself for doing this to him. Retirement was never meant to be like this. The highlight of my day is having a laugh with my carers.

WE had such plans, like running a caravan park in Gloucester...no chance! Like touring in our campervan...no chance....

I have had to start paying £57.22 a week towards my care and I`m awaiting the decision re PIP. Where did it all go wrong?

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of you and your husband's health struggles @pollyanna1052.  Have no words of advice, but just wanted to say that I am thinking of you.  You are a great member of this Community and I enjoy reading your posts as you give so much support to others.  Life just seems so unfair at times, but I hope things improve for you both soon and I wish you well for your Social Worker visit.  Let us know how it goes.  All the best.  x :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I really hope Friday goes well for you @pollyanna1052!
    Scope

• WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Options
    On Friday next, I have a social worker coming to see me and hubby.
    Just to briefly give you a run down of how my/our lives are;

I`ve been disabled for 20 years. Had to retire on ill health grounds at 47....yeh, I`m 67 now.
    I`ve been mis-diagnosed twice and was discharged from local neuro dept 2 years ago, with a big fat ? on my forehead! I`m a full time wheelchair user and need hoisting for every transfer.

Hubby was my sole carer for 11 years. I knew it was hard on him, so got outside carers in 8 years ago. It helped....I currently have 28 hours, plus 2 sleepovers a week care.

So hubby looks after me for 120 hours a week. I am dependent on others for all personal care, cooking, housework, and taking out.

I`m asking for more help. We are worn out. Hubby is 71 now and feeling it, due to having both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Our life revolves round sorting me out! I feel such a burden and hate myself for doing this to him. Retirement was never meant to be like this. The highlight of my day is having a laugh with my carers.

WE had such plans, like running a caravan park in Gloucester...no chance! Like touring in our campervan...no chance....

I have had to start paying £57.22 a week towards my care and I`m awaiting the decision re PIP. Where did it all go wrong?
    I feel for you, stay positive and stand your corner as standard policy of late with people needing help in my area- is to spin it as your family morally should be doing more and austerity means no cash.

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The Social Worker`s visit went well yesterday. She was very interested and did a good in depth assessment. She believes we are in urgent need of more help and made lots of good suggestions and is referring me to an OT for sleeping systems.

She`s coming again next week to do hubby`s own assessment. So yeh, it`s looking good.

Thank you for your kind words all xx
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad to hear @pollyanna1052.  Hope you are well.  x  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Great news @pollyanna1052. Here's hoping your hubby's assessment goes just as well. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness