Hi, my name is Lobby2905! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Lobby2905!

Lobby2905
Lobby2905 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am a carer for my disabled mum. I have done it since I was 13 years old everyday is a challenge for me. I have my own health problems and I don’t really have anyone to talk to about my life and how I could maybe make life a little easier. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Lobby2905 and welcome to the community. I'm sorry you feel a bit isolated. You're more than welcome to talk about things here, if it helps! Have you looked into respite care?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lobby2905 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  Carers do incredible work for disabled people and I can appreciate how challenging this must be for you, especially as you have been doing it from such a young age!  My husband is my carer so I do understand how challenging life can be, as will many of our members who have carers also.  Do you have a local Carers' Centre you could contact for some support?  I know that my husband has found our local Carers' Centre really helpful at times as he has spoken to support workers there both in person and over the phone and has met up with other carers for a bit of support and time away from being a carer.  As @Adrian_Scope has suggested to you, respite care is a really good suggestion.

Also Carers UK is an organisation maybe worth contacting for information, advice and support also and I believe that they have an online forum also run by carers for other carers.  Here is the link to their website if you want to have a look:-

https://www.carersuk.org/

Also we are here to support you too on the Community, so please feel free to chat to us anytime as there will always be someone to listen.  You will find many friendly and lovely people on here.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on and if there is anything at all you need then please just give us a shout.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness