Hi, my name is LP004! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is LP004!

LP004
LP004 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
I am having problems with depression.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm sorry to hear that @LP004. Can I ask if you get much in the way of support with your mental health? Is this a recent development or have you been dealing with depression for some time?
    You're very welcome here and I hope we'll be able to support you. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LP004 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear of your struggles and thank you for reaching out to us.  We are here to support you, as there are lots of lovely, friendly people on here so please feel free to chat to us anytime.  There will always be someone here to listen.  I look forward to seeing you on the Community.  If there is anything you need at all then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • LP004
    I'm sorry to hear that @LP004. Can I ask if you get much in the way of support with your mental health? Is this a recent development or have you been dealing with depression for some time?
    You're very welcome here and I hope we'll be able to support you. :smile:

Hi Adrian,  I suffer with depression but it gets worse this time of year as I get S, A, D.

I have suffered with depression for many years but keep it under control for the most part with meds.
    I have a dog so I take him for a walk daily.  Having said that, I haven't taken him out for two days at least this week.
    I can't cope with the stress I have put myself through.
    I was stupid and paid for a big job I needed doing and now they haven't come back to finish it. 

• LP004
    Adrian, I cant get to the Doctor easily because I live in a village and there is no transport.  Do you know of organisations I can contact that can help please?  I will go to my Doctor though.
  • LP004
    Thank you Ails,  I need someone to chat to.  Close relatives dont understand that I have spates of depression.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome

I'm a community champion here on scope. I'm going to ask a very dear friend of mine if he has any advice for you. @thespiceman would you please help with some advice here, i'd be very grateful as this is your area of expertise.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @LP004    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear you have mental health problems, depression and anxiety I suffer myself.

Please thank you my friend @poppy123456 mentioning me.

I am one of the team of community champions as is my friend Poppy.

Please may I suggest the following three organisations I used these.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

All mental health charities offer floating support . Guidance, advice well being and health.

You get also help, advice with any benefits , attendance assessments and filling in forms for you and anything else you  may wish to know.

Might not be in all areas, you an self refer on the websites.

The last one is an advocate charity , represents you on your behalf . Medical professionals or Doctors.

I am sorry to hear also your relatives do not understand, unfortunately a stigma about mental health.

To reassure you confidence and give you  self esteem is what all these charities do, lots of the time is giving you the tools. To cope using methods, strategies.

In a way using beneficial knowledge and education. Including sleep. medication, diet, nutrition.

Please I would recommend speaking to your Doctor.   With any mental health issues. 

if you do leave too long or untreated the mind, body mentally effected as well physically.

I should also mention with any depression comes many health problems. Including sleep problems, lack of judgement, diet, nutritional issues not eating.  Using smoking, alcohol, drugs to cope. 

Have used stimulants excessive amounts of caffeine.

The slippery slope can lead to addiction as I was. Alcoholism , now clean rehab and advising the community.

Any stress or anxiety can be coped with .  I had my illness a long time always learning and acquired  a lot of knowledge.

Please if you have any questions please ask..

Happy to listen and be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ails
    You are very welcome @LP004.  I am very sorry to hear that you are struggling at the moment.  You have been given excellent advice from @thespiceman and I hope you manage to get to your GP and look more into the organisations that have been offered above.  The Community is here to support you so please don't struggle on alone.  Chat to us anytime as there will always be someone on here to listen.  You are a very valued member of the Community and we are only too happy to be supportive.  Please take care and let us know how you are getting on.  Wishing you all the best.  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LP004 - Welcome to this very supportive community & I hope you are managing to look at thespiceman's links as he knows so much about these problems. There's always someone here to talk to, so please chat here anytime.
    The only thing I might add is I found a couple of links about SAD.

• LP004
    Thank you Spiceman for the links.  I have bookmarked them all.  I will contact my Doctor and discuss with him.
    I appreciate your help.

LP004
  • LP004
    I appreciate the links you put on here, chiarieds.  Most helpful.

LP004
  • LP004
    Ails,  I will keep you up-to-date on my progress.

I am going to try to get out for a walk twice a day.  First thing to do, I think it will be good for me.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I wonder if you'd like to share any photos of your dog. Many of us here share photos of our pets in the 'Coffee Lounge' section. Here's a link: https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/66308/hi-everyone-lets-see-a-picture-of-your-fur-babies-️or-pets#latest
    My kitten Shadow is there.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @LP004   Thank you for kind words, just wanted to add.

Please keep in touch, the more you are talking the more this helps you.

As a gentleman never easy us gent talking so my issues ended up effecting mind, eating, sleep and lots more.

Need to explain that if you have these things swirling around your mind, can be detrimental to your well being.

We start to have fear of flight. This a natural reaction to those ancient times of walking around forests with wild animals.

The problems then can manifest it self the butterflies the shakes, palpitations.

You need if I can add speak to your Doctor as soon as possible. I say this because with any charities they are waiting lists.

With any charity it is also how they can help you.

The sooner your assessed the sooner you get the tools to use, the example being the one I just mentioned.

One other point may I just add.  One of the big problems you need to be aware  is the services do not run your life for you.

Understand most floating support involves you making goals, aims and small steps.

Failure to do any of this might remove you.

I had to explain that because I said too many times no and was removed, time money .

Another reason you need to apply asap.

Often starting early sends me texts and email till late at night.  Many support workers have a lot of people to see.

Just thought I mention it.

Please if you want to ask me anything, please do happy to be supportive, have compassion.

Pleasure to meet you and take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ails
    Good for you @LP004, yes, I'm sure that some walks will do you the power of good!  Being out in the fresh air does perk you up a bit and it will be refreshing to have a walk at this time of year.  I find being out on my mobility scooter always helps my mood if I am feeling a bit low.  Great info you have been given above by both @thespiceman and @chiarieds and glad you are going to look into these and go to see your GP.  What kind of dog do you have?  Pets are great and so therapeutic for us!  I have a cat and wouldn't be without her!  I hope you manage to share some photos of your dog on the link @chiarieds has provided.  I look forward to hearing from you again and please chat to us anytime.  Have a lovely evening and weekend!  :smile:
  • LP004
    I have a rescue Jack Russell Terrier, Ails. He's about 11 yrs old but could be older.  He's fyll of energy.  I often wish I could harness his energy and sell it.  I'd be rich by now.  he he
    I have a cat, too, and a Tortoise.  
    I will try and share phots, yes, that's a good idea.

Brightness