Can I email the DWP instead of phoning? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I email the DWP instead of phoning?

Options
susan48
susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
Hi
i have difficulty with my speech and need to ask if the DWP have received my PIP Appeal decision award letter.
My friend and son usually help with things but are both working and can’t call for me today.
is there an email address I can use to ask the question.

Thanks
Susan

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @susan48, this information on alternative contact methods is from the gov.uk page on PIP:

Other ways to claim

If you find it difficult to use the telephone, you can claim by post or by using a text relay or video relay service.

Send information by post

You can get a form to send information by post (although this can delay the decision on your claim). Write a letter to ask for the form.

Personal Independence Payment New Claims 
    Post Handling Site B 
    Wolverhampton 
    WV99 1AH 

Text relay

If you can’t hear or speak on the phone you can use the Next Generation Text(NGT) relay service.

NGT relay service
    Dial: 18001 then 0800 917 2222
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Find out about call charges

Video relay

If you’re deaf and use British Sign Language (BSL) you may be able to use a video relay service:

The service is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

• keira
    keira Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Options

Email options available for disabled people

DWP offers email communication as a reasonable adjustment to disabled customers who require it.

Disabled customers who think they would benefit from email communication should contact us using the details on the last communication they received from us, or let us know when they next get in touch.

We’ll work with the customer to find out whether email is the most suitable means of communication. If it is, we’ll let them know how we’ll set it up for them.

If you have any queries, email oed.customeraccessibilityteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/touchbase-dwp-news-about-work-working-age-benefits-and-services/january-2018-touchbase-edition-124

• susan48
    Options
    Many Thanks to you both .
    i will look into this.
    susan
  • susan48
    Options
    Hi Keira, thanks for the links but having trouble with the email address you put in your post.
    will try writing it down and emailing that way, trued looking on DWP website 

susan
  • susan48
    Options
    Hi
    i managed to email DWP re communication problems. 
    Will just wait to see how long this takes

Susan
    thanks
  • susan48
    Options
    I’m screaming in my head!!!!!
    emailed the DWP regarding communication via email on not even a response, how am I supposed to contact them, cannot talk and they don’t reply to bloody emails
  • PTSDdisabled
    PTSDdisabled Posts: 41 Connected
    Options
    keira said:

Email options available for disabled people

DWP offers email communication as a reasonable adjustment to disabled customers who require it.

Disabled customers who think they would benefit from email communication should contact us using the details on the last communication they received from us, or let us know when they next get in touch.

We’ll work with the customer to find out whether email is the most suitable means of communication. If it is, we’ll let them know how we’ll set it up for them.

If you have any queries, email oed.customeraccessibilityteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/touchbase-dwp-news-about-work-working-age-benefits-and-services/january-2018-touchbase-edition-124

Hello Kiera,

I attempted to use the email you provided, one with oed in the address, one without.  I received the following messages

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups: 

oed.customersccesibilityteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk (oed.customersccesibilityteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk)
    The email address that you entered couldn't be found. Check the address and try resending the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

customeraccesibilityteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk (customeraccesibilityteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk)
    The email address that you entered couldn't be found. Check the address and try resending the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

I copied and pasted the email address directly from your post.

Thanks

• PTSDdisabled
    PTSDdisabled Posts: 41 Connected
    Options
    susan48 said:
    emailed the DWP regarding communication via email on not even a response, how am I supposed to contact them, cannot talk and they don’t reply to bloody emails
    I have phoned them, written to them, had CAB and my M.P contact them. Got a pack of lies back, luckily I can prove their lies with copies of recorded delivery receipt which evidences their lying about not receiving letters! Similar with phone calls, I have screen shots! 

I have not had any responses since Oct 2017.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    susan48 said:
    Type & print a letter and post it to them?
  • mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I 100% recommend text relay over any other form of communication with DWP! I use it myself. If you can type and read you can use it. You can also have them talk to you but you write back if speech is your area of difficulty. 

I find they ignore any other form of communication, I think it just goes straight in the bin. 

Text relay has been excellent for my independence.
    Sarah
  • affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    Options
  • Hayley35
    Hayley35 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited March 2019
    Options
    if you delete the full stop at end of the email address it works !!! I kept getting failed to send then I realised why ?? no email address should have a full stop at end ?? @susan48
  • tracyno1
    tracyno1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Please has anyone got a email address for PIP please 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    tracyno1 said:
    Try this one. Correspondence@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    tracyno1 said:
    Try this one. Correspondence@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

Is that email address manned daily? There are so many email addresses that the government use that are literally dead drop boxes as no one monitors them. 

• Shohna
    Shohna Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited December 2019
    Options
    “Try this one
    Correspondence@dwp.gsi.gov.uk “

Hello everyone, 
    As I had to email the DWP today (regarding a home assessment interview that no one turned up for!) one of the automated replies I received back stated the following about their email address, so please take note: 

“ DWP email addresses are changing and @dwp.gsi.gov.uk email addresses will soon cease to exist.
    All future emails should be addressed @dwp.gov.uk 

For further information refer to : https://www.gov.uk/government/news/goodbye-gsi-dwp-email-addresses-are-changing  “

Hope this helps  :)
  • starbuck
    starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    Options
    I had no idea you could email the dwp! Phoning them is a huge problem for me as I have anxiety problems and only use the phone as a last resort. 
    I also prefer email as you then have a record of what they say..
  • Shohna
    Shohna Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Well I’ll admit Starbucks this is my first time emailing them - like you i have issues doing the phone calls and prefer to have all my dealings with them in writing so legally they have to stand by what they say - hence why I looked up the email.
    I did get an automated response from DWP, which I’d more then I got from emailing Capita, so I know the DWP do have my email....What will happen from it is anyone guess.

My anxiety over the whole situation is getting worse (not helped because my autistic son and daughter are both majorly stressed over it too). 
    Hope the email helps you when you need it  :) 

starbuck said:
    I had no idea you could email the dwp! Phoning them is a huge problem for me as I have anxiety problems and only use the phone as a last resort. 
    I also prefer email as you then have a record of what they say..

• starbuck
    starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    Options
    Thankyou - I hope you hear something soon!
  • misslawbore
    misslawbore Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I hope you did starbuck and shohna! I have emailed the email address: correspondence@dwp.gov.uk and got an automated reply - wow, just wow. It said my query will be directed to the relevant department

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.