Pip based on learning disability and cognitive impairment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip based on learning disability and cognitive impairment

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for letting us know @ketomum! Fingers crossed for you both!
    Scope

• ketomum
    ketomum Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Good afternoon, Just wanted to give you guys an update. Well my daughters f2f assessment was due this morning at 9am at home.
    Well about 8:10am I received a call to inform me that the assessment has been cancelled but I will be offered another assessment date after the caller went through the security questions.

I was waiting for her to offer me something after christmas.

To my surprise I was offered an appointment for tomorrow 12/12/19 at home at 8:30am.

I said yes I will take it, as the kids are off school due to the general elections.
    So I will update you guys further once we have the assessment tomorrow( fingers crossed ).

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Good luck @ketomum. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ketomum
    Good morning all,

This morning at 8:30am my daughter had her F2F assessment with Capita at home. I will try and include as much info as can but actually at the moment it's all become a bit of a blur. I think I am just Glad that it's all over in regards to the assessment part.

The accessor arrived on time and was polite I directed her to my living room where my daughter was already sitting. She had shown me her ID at the door and also showed my daughter once she entered the living room.

she then went on the explain what she was there to do to myself and my daughter. She then told me that even though I am my daughters appointee she will need to engage with my daughter and I am free to chirp in if my daughter became stuck.

It soon became apparent to accessor that my daughter couldn't answer the questions as she didn't understand, so the questions soon only were directed at me for the most part.

The questions are basically based around the pip2 form Its just upto you to elaborate on your answers. There were no trick questions, we only stayed in the living room.

The questioning lasted just over an hour and to be honest it flew by, the accessor was very polite she even apologised to my daughter that we were talking about her as if she wasn't there.

Overall I think the assessment went well as it showed the accessor how my daughters disability affects so I was happy for her to engage with my daughter to see the lever of her cognitive ability. I could write down all the conditions in the world but when they meet her in person they can truly see the person for themselves I just hope that this is accurately represented in the report.

So at the end of the questioning she said she will write her report and send it to the DWP and they will make their decision. she said it may take a few weeks depending on backlogs but don't quote her as she isn't sure on time scales.

So now is just the waiting game for the report so I can mayne workout what she will be awarded.

If Anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer, as I said earlier its all a bit of a blur and I am sure I am forgetting something.

Thank you to everyone who has given me advice and also to those who have shared their stories, all has really been helpful.

Ketomum xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad it went well and it's all over now. Wait a week and ring DWP for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

As it's very close to Christmas now, you probably won't receive the report until after Christmas, along with the decision.

If you're not happy with the decision once it's made you'll have 1 month from that date to request the MR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ketomum
    @poppy123456, Thanks so much poppy I am hoping I will be able to get the report quickly but as you rightly said christmas may delay things.

I am so glad that part of it is over and I pray that we get the correct decision.

You always find yourself thinking maybe i should've have answered  certain questions differently but I am overall happy with how it went.

Thanks again.

• Adrian_Scope
    Well done to you both on getting through it @ketomum. Try not to worry too much about it over Christmas and if it doesn't go the way you'd hoped, there's many knowledgeable members on here who'll be happy to try and advise you through the appeal process. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ketomum
    Good Morning all, I hope we are all well.

I just want to give you all an update. On Friday I called up to request for a copy of my daughter's assessment which was roughly a week ago. I was told yes the report is back and pip will put one in the post and maybe look out for it after the Xmas because of the Christmas post delay etc..

To my surprise the PA4 arrived today I couldn't believe it I am actually still in shock. I stared for a little while at the envelope and just said myself to open it and let's see what was said. The report was was pretty accurate as I glanced over it.

I then ran to my laptop, well walked as I am currently recovering from a chest infection lol...  and did the pip test to see what points the assessor has given to my daughter.

My daughter has been awarded 23 points DAILY LIVING
                                                        12 points MOBILITY (planning and following journeys)

It also says there is to be no requirement to arrange a review of this claim as significant change is unlikely, I assume that means her award maybe ongoing?? I'm not sure.

I couldn't have asked for a better outcome and a better accessor.
    please if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them if I can.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and a great New year!! xx

Ketomum
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This is the best news ever @ketomum!! The biggest congratulations an wishing you and your family a lovely Christmas.
    Scope

• ketomum
    @Chloe_Scope Thanks so much I am still in shock. Although I know my daughter is entitled to PIP you just read about to many injustices in the system. Merry Christmas to you and your family I can't believe how fast it crept up this year, but looking forward to the new year. Thank you, everyone, for their advice.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @ketomum congratulations on getting the award and thanks for posting. Great news!
  • poppy123456
    As you've received the report which recommends Enhanced for both parts with no review, you will still need to wait for the decision to be made but they mostly go with the report. No review would indicate a 10 year award as that's the maximum award you can receive for PIP. Hopefully a decision won't be too much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ketomum
    Good afternoon everyone, Just want to come and give an update on my daughter's application for PIP. We are still waiting for the final decision, we are 8 weeks since F2F assessment and 7 weeks since the DWP received the accessors report back.

I called yesterday for an update and was told it's still with the decision-maker.
    I was asked if I would like to speak with a decision-maker who could explain in a little more detail on what the delay could be I said yes. The decision-maker explained that there is currently a backlog and that is what the hold up is. The decision-maker also informed me that they are currently working on assessments from November and I would have a few more weeks wait as my daughter assessment was in December.

So I guess we just have to keep waiting.....

• Adrian_Scope
    I'm sorry you're still waiting @ketomum. Fingers crossed it won't be much longer now. Please let us know when you hear anything. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ketomum
    Thanks so much @Adrian_Scope I hope the wait will not be not much longer either. Honestly, waiting for the brown envelope is the worst part  :) 

• ketomum
    Good afternoon all,

I just want to come and give you all an update on my daughters PIP application. All-day I had this niggling feeling to call to see if a decision had been made but I just decided no I will wait until the end of the week, but the feeling wouldn't go. So I decided to call this afternoon.

I was expecting to hear the same old message that it was still with the DM but this time it was a different message. "Yes a decision was made on the 16/02/2020 on Sunday, would you like me to read the decision over the phone?" I said, "yes please"!!.

My daughter has been awarded Enhanced payments on both elements of PIP for an ongoing period.
    I am just so happy that my daughter will get what she is entitled to and hopefully my stress levels will now begin to regulate because it's not an easy process to go through.

I want to thank everyone on here who has shared their stories and also given advice it really has been a really big help to get through this process.

Thanks, Ketomum

• poppy123456
    Great news! :)
  • ketomum
    @poppy123456 Thank you so much for your support and advice. I am just so glad that it's over. 
  • Tommyb92
    Tommyb92 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Hi @ketomum, I just wanted to say thanks for your post, I read right the way through it, and seen some of the other comments that have been posted on this forum. I myself also have a Shunt and Hydrocephalus, so this kind of gives me a bit of hope for my decision. I am still waiting to hear back as to whether a decision has been made or not. I was told I should hear back within the next two weeks (this was the other day of calling). so I just wanted to say I wish your daughter well and hopefully this will continue for you, I’m also hoping I get a similar outcome for my assessment but not sure what they’ll say in my report! 

<code><a href="https://twitter.com/lgbtdisability" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/lgbtdisability</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/tombyford" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/tombyford</a> <br><a href="https://www.facebook.com/tombyford" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/tombyford</a><br>http://www.twitter.com/lgbtdisability

• ketomum
    HI, @Tommyb92 Thanks for taking the time to reply and I hope you will have the same result as my daughter.
     Did you request a copy of your assessment? as that will give you an indication of what the decision may be even though it's not the final decision. From beginning to end this process has taken 28 weeks. This was a new PIP application so I guess the process took a little longer, and is treated differently than someone who is coming from DLA.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.