Petition to abolish the current Pip and ESA method of Assessment which isn't fit for purpose - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Petition to abolish the current Pip and ESA method of Assessment which isn't fit for purpose

13»

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Being disrespectful to @poppy123456. And now saying members on here work for the Government and brainwashing others. Everybody has the right to share their opinion, but please do without disrespecting others.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @stejon - I would suggest you read Scope's guidelines, which say, 'Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you do not agree with them.'
    Scope works to help people; one of the aspects is the benefit system. The responses by ilovecats, & the volunteers, or Community Champions here, are factual. Your responses are anecdotal. Some things are factual to you, but you cannot back up your otherwise very general assumptions.
    Unfortunately some people have a bad experience in claiming benefits, but as has already been said, people often come here as they haven't received an award they expected.
    You might consider that this post may be looked at by another new member. How would that help them when they see contradictory opinions. The one with advice, & considered opinion, or yours with a wild assumption that some people on this forum work for the government & are brainwashing people.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I would be interested in seeing your evidence that HCPs lie. I feel unfortunately they can report incorrectly, as happened to me personally. If this happens, the way forward is to go for a Mandatory Reconsideration, & rather concentrate on how a person's disability affects, them with an understanding of the descriptors. Discussing 'inaccuracies' in the HCP's report is not the way forward. A complaint can certainly be made to the assessment provider separately.
    Btw I haven't sent you a message twice.
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    stejon said:
    Yes my mistake it was from another person. Don't  trust anyone on this forum anymore,  they are too passive 
    Must admit I agree with this post....people who have a bad experience are often shouted down by those telling them they had a wonderful experience and your application must have been rubbish etc...my husband has had three assessments, the first was awful and he was turned down, he went to appeal and won easily, just by discrediting the HCA (but told on here that wouldn’t have been the case at all, it was the tribunal said as much)..the second time was ok and it was recommended lower standard rate for both but DWP awarded enhanced mobility after ringing him up...his last assessment was at home and the HCA was very professional and knowledgable...my assessment when transferring over from DLA was a horrible experience and the HCA was only interested in getting me out the room and typing up a complete load of rubbish...I was awarded standard rate for both (down from higher rate DLA mobility), some may say “oh it’s sour grapes because you didn’t get what you wanted” it’s a case of what I think I deserve with the problems that I have, however the HCA commenting on my hip replacements when I’ve not had hip replacements just goes to show she wasn’t listening.

I also have a close friend, ex nurse, who because a HCA and who left after 2 months in the job because she didn’t like having to be economical with the truth about applicants problems and difficulties...I’d believe her over anyone.

I don’t post much these days because it does seem that you are not allowed to criticise HCA, DWP or anyone who posts on here who you don’t agree with.

just my opinion and experiences (to date)
  • bigglesworth
    bigglesworth Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    I managed to get my PIP in the end, but my experience with the DWP showed me that they tend to jump on this "lying" bandwagon too unfortunately.

At the MR stage, part of my report simply pointed out the corroborating evidence between different professionals at different times and over different periods of time which didn't match up with what the HCP had reported. There was no mention of any lies in my report, only errors that had been reported.

The DWP response was just that the HCP is right because they have no reason to lie and that my supporting professionals simply embellished the information about me.

It doesn't help that some people are told to make an applications based on their worst day and others not. This basically means that a lot of HCP will write reports based on the information in front of them being "trumped up", which means that anyone who doesn't write their application based on their worst day is going to end up not being assessed fairly.

The blame for all this lies squarely with whoever designed the application process, not the HCP or the people trying to make use of the system. Maybe one day there will be a politician with a healthcare background who ends up in a healthcare position in government (instead of them being things like ex-journalists).
  • Julessarahthompson
    Julessarahthompson Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    I do agree that the assessments are stressful and cause anxiety but I also agree they are there for a reason. My pip report was 100% accurate, the assessor was actually very supportive and actually stopped the assessment midway for a break as the assessor could see I was struggling. I recieved enhanced on both, the assessor suggested 3 years but when I recieved my paperwork I was actually awarded for 4 years 6 months. My pip report is identical to my ESA report and are both factual and accurate to how my conditions affect me. I provided in depth evidence and was honest at my assessment. I do however feel that if anything needs to change it's the waiting times 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Also to point out that filling out a form based on your worst day could potentially lead to benefit fraud.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I've removed and moderated a number of posts on this thread. 

We're all aware that the benefit system is stressful and experiences will vary but please keep our community guidelines in mind and to talk to other members with respect.
    Community Manager
    Scope
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.