Need some help - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need some help

Comments

• avakarlsson
    avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
    I will do that now thank you 
  • avakarlsson
    Hi
    Before I phoned up universal credit today I changed my work info on my journal and then phoned them up and said on my journal page it is still showing my current hrs and what I got paid, and the person who I spoke to said yes you have changed it and I said I’m on statutory sick pay too she said that’s fine so it looks like I am getting universal credit payments, they said you will get a payment this month as it won’t be a full amount, and I have to go to the job centre for an appointment to do work commitment. I also asked about my form the UC50 and they said it hasn’t come it could of got lost in the post so I had to print out a copy and asked for the address so I will go to the post office tomorrow so I know it will get there. 

Does universal credit payments get backdated to when you first claim? 

Thank you 
  • avakarlsson
    I hope I don’t have to wait too long for an assessment if I need one, and I hope the letter doesn’t get lost in the post again when I send it today. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    SSP is £94.25 per week and based on this amount i'm afraid you were incorrectly advised by the person on the phone. As you're under 25 and don't claim for the housing element because you live with parents, i believe? then your SSP will definitely reduce your UC to zero, as i've advised quite a few times.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • avakarlsson
    When I phoned yesterday that’s what I got told from universal credit I will get a payment on the 5th feb every month, but this month won’t be a full amount. 

As mentioned I had to repost the UC50 questionnaire as they hadn’t received it yet and she said it’s got probably lost in the post as I would be here by now as you sent it last Thursday. So I have filled another form out and today I will go to the post office and make sure I get it signed for so I can track it and known it’s got to the place the form needs to go to.  
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    Is your SSP £94.25 per week? and when does your SSP end?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    If your UC50 form was sent straight to the health assessment providers (some are) and not to DWP then DWP won't know it's been received. You should contact the health assessment providers rather than DWP.
  • avakarlsson
    Yes I sent the questionnaire to the  place health and disabilities assement Wolverhampton 
  • avakarlsson
    Yes my SSP is £94.25 a week I’m not sure when it finishes as I haven’t been told. 
  • poppy123456
    As it was sent straight to the health assessment providers then i'd advise you to ring them and not DWP. See link for their contact number. Even though this link states ESA it's still the work capability assessment and it's exactly the same people.
    https://www.chdauk.co.uk/contact-us I believe they are open this morning. They will tell you if your form has been received.

As your SSP is the amount i thought it was then worked out as a monthly pay this will be £408. because you are under 25 your standard allowance for UC will only be £251.77 per month. Working out the 63% deduction for your SSP then your deduction for UC is £257 per month, so it reduces your UC payments to zero.

If you were over 25 then yes, you would receive a small amount. Therefore the person you spoke to has given bad advice and this won't be the first time they've done this. I don't want you thinking that you will receive payment from UC when this isn't correct.

You are actually better off at the moment with your SSP payments because if you weren't receiving that then your UC would be just £251.77.

• avakarlsson
    I get £377 a month from my statutory sick pay 
  • avakarlsson
    When I phoned DWP universal credit I told them I was on statutory sick pay and I told her  I changed my work details as there wrong now, and she looked and she saw I changed them then she said you will get universal credit and statutory sick pay, this months will be a small amount as it’s nearly the statement date and the assessment period 
  • poppy123456
    That will be 4 weekly pay and not monthly.
  • avakarlsson
    Sorry that’s what I meant 
  • poppy123456
    Even with that i'm afraid your UC is still reduced to zero. Changing your hours on your journal isn't going to affect the amount of UC you're entitled to because UC is based the earnings and not hours worked.

I've helped all i can here for now and there's no further advice i can give. Once you hear from the health assessment providers if you have any questions please do ask. Or once you have the decision on the work capability assessment if you have questions then please do ask.

Good luck.
  • avakarlsson
    I will look at my statement on my journal on Friday as that’s when it is due 

Hopefully there will be a payment 
  • avakarlsson
    Hi 

Is universal credit backdated to when I first started my claim? 

Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    No, as i previously advised, once you've been assessed for limited capability for work, if you're given LCWRA then you will receive an extra £336 per month starting from the 4th month of your claim from when you sent your first fit note. There's a 3 full month assessment period waiting time and because UC us paid in arrears you don't receive it until the 4th month.

If the decision is anything else, there's no extra money.
  • avakarlsson
    Oh I see, I thought when you first claim they back date it like pip, but obviously not as you just mentioned. 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    In some cases yes but in your case, unfortunately not. Unless the decision takes longer then it's back dated to the 4th month, if you're given LCWRA.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.