Hi, my name is claretre! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is claretre!

claretre
claretre Community member Posts: 13 Listener
I have a pip assessment tomo and I'm so scared and my anxiety is threw the roof..ive been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and e.u.p.d was told to apply my my mental health worker and now I'm getting so anxious about it does anyone know what it's like X

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

If you kept a copy of the form that you filled in i'd advise you to have a read of that before the assessment because part of the assessment is to verify what you wrote in the form. They will also ask you any other additional information that's needed. What they will ask you depends on how your conditions affect you.

You will be watched also during the assessment so do be aware of that.

Just be yourself, wear what you would normally wear and be honest when answering those questions. Remember PIP isn't about how you're affected at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period and not about your worst days.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @claretre    Pleased to meet you .

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We support members and advise help.

Please have told your support worker most important. Should be supporting you and advising you here.

Would and should be attending assessment. Understand your anxiety concerned and causing problems.

Any questions and support should be contacted immediately.

Please just think what you need to say. Be calm relaxed. I bring a bottle of water then stuck or anxious have a sip.

Answer the question, clear precise.  If I can.

First always before you go have a good breakfast, wear comfortable clothing.

I know my self have the same, need to talk to my support if and when had one.

There reassurance and giving you some confidence should be paramount a concern for them.

If that is never happening or you not getting any response.

Then please consider these links and are useful.  Worth looking at. Every one entitled to good mental health and wellbeing.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Please can I wish a positive outcome.  

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • claretre
    Thank you so much Xx
  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @claretre ,

Welcome to the community and I hope you're well today. It's understandable to be anxious about the assessment, it must be quite daunting.

I haven't personally had an assessment but I know a few people who have. I have linked some pages below for you which holds some information I hope will be useful to you. The first link is help and advice about the assessment and the second link under the heading 'The descriptors' has pdf links which detail the points system which is used in a pip assessment and how the points are awarded.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/how-decisions-are-made/

Sorry I can't help with what it's really like to have an assessment but hopefully the information above may provide you with some insight into how it all works.

Please let us know how it goes and I'm crossing my fingers for you tomorrow. 

Best wishes,
    Louise :smile:
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • claretre
    Thank you so much that's really helpful will look now . Thank you Xxx
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @claretre

Good Afternoon & Welcome how has your day gone so far.

I’m also a “Community Champion” here at Scope.

I can see that you have had lots of info/advice to date from a number of other members.

Recently I had my Pip Assessment at my house.

This went very very well we both went through the questions.

She soon went away,
    And things seemed okay from her point of view.

Afterwards she “Painted the Picture” that I had no “Problems with the Days Work”

Please let me know if you need any further help???

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hi @claretre - Welcome to the community from me too. I just wanted to wish you well for tomorrow; follow the advice given & you'll be fine. I've been through a PIP assessment, & the assessor was lovely. I even thanked her on the way out as I really felt she listened & empathized!
    About a week after your assessment you can ring the DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you.
    Please let us all know how you get on tomorrow.  :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @claretre and welcome also to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear you are anxious about your assessment tomorrow and that is completely understandable.  Just try to relax if you can and I'm sure you will be fine.  You have been given some really good advice and information above so I hope you can look into that in your own time.  I too have had a PIP assessment in the past and it went better than I thought as the assessor was very nice.  So I hope you have the same experience tomorrow and wish you all the very best for it.  As @chiareds has already said, please let us know how you get on.  We will be thinking of you.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just let us know.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • claretre
    Hi had my assessment today and don't think it went very well ...it was a young girl and was not compassionate or understanding she also rushed threw it leaving me hardly any time to answer then was just completely silent and only lasted about 20 mins when I thought it was an hour defo didn't ask all the questions on the form felt pointless tbh so not getting my hopes up Xx
  • poppy123456
    The length of time the assessment took doesn't really mean anything at all. I've had quite a few assessments for ESA and PIP and my shortest time was about 15 minutes and longest time was 1 hour 15 minutes and all decisions went in my favour.

All you can do is wait a week and request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • claretre
    Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it... who do I ask for the assessment form is it pip yeah Xx
  • poppy123456
    No problem. Yes you will need to ring PIP. It's the assessment report you need to ask for and not the assessment form. If you live in the UK they will send it to you before the decision's been made.
  • claretre
    Oh great will do that next week didn't know they done that...thank you so much Xx
  • poppy123456
    You’re welcome ? 

Brightness