Hi, my name is Sheelagh_lindsey123! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Sheelagh_lindsey123!

Options
Sheelagh_lindsey123
Sheelagh_lindsey123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been paid DLA for about 6 years and in December 2019 had to attend a medical interview to change to PIP.
In the meantime my husband and I were advised to apply for the disability element of Universal Credit for me, which we did and i attended an interview in January 2020.
I have just received my first Disability payment from Universal Credit and then I received a letter from DWP telling me that I was not entitled to PIP
Firstly I dont understand why I shouldn't be entitled to PIP if I was entitled to DLA for such a long time.   My condition has not improved and, secondly,  why would one Health Professional say one thing and the other completely disagree? 
Im now so stressed that I have yet again to go through the whole process of appealing the decision.   The details on the letter are  such that it seems like the Assessor was in a totally different interview than me!
Any advice would be much appreciated 
Sheelagh x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

PIP and DLA are completely different benefits with totally different criteria and being entitled to DLA doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to PIP. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors and not about a diagnosis.

The work capability assessment you had for UC is also totally different to PIP, with different criteria. It's about your ability to work where as PIP is about your disability.

You now have 1 month to request the MR from the date of the decision. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

You should avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because DWP/Tribunal won't be interested in any of those. You can't prove what did or didn't happen during that assessment.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Waiting times are huge across most of the country and some are waiting about a year for a hearing date.

When you send the letter of request you should send relevant evidence with that to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Having some understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean will also help. Have a read of this link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sheelagh_lindsey123 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I can appreciate your frustration about migrating to PIP from a successful DLA claim, as I went through this about 18 months ago without the benefit of this forum!
    Poppy has given you the best possible advice, & also link about PIP. She has helped thousands of people who have joined Scope with her benefit advice, so I hope this helps you too.
    If at any stage you have further questions, please do say. You're also most welcome to talk here any time, & do let us know if we can help or support you in any way. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Sheelagh_lindsey123 Hello and welcome to the community, I see you have already had excellent advice from other members, I don't really have anything to add I just wanted to say hello. I hope you have found the information helpful and keep us up to date of your progress.  
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sheelagh_lindsey123 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I wish you all the very best with your benefit claim and please let us know how you get on with it.  If there is anything further we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness