Motability - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motability

13»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    exdvr said:
    This post has been going around in circles for a full 2 years now.  Is it not about time it was closed? Just asking.

It was because a new member asked a question on the thread, which started it off again.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    Yup - That's what I thought :)

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Surely there's a lot more 'mileage' in this one?

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every one thought put some relevant points about my current situation may be of interest.

1.  Lost the car Motability Scheme two years ago. Some assessor thinks not disabled enough.

2. Middle rate PIP and car went back after 20 plus years on the scheme.

3. Offered cash cheques nice sum to either take or appeal.

4.. Did research transport alternatives.  Lost all the friends in my village very much hurt. Because got no car as I helped thought help me.

After all will always pay fuel costs. Unlike them, any way their loss.

5.  Looked at do I need to rent a car three year lease . Use my own money finance and is it worth it.

6.  Then researched what exactly do I need a car for, get shopping every thing else delivered and meds, banking so thought lets look at taxis.

7. Over the past few years rarely used the car even when I had one, so why been sensible now.

8. Used a taxi firm text booking and reasonable prices, fares and they take me to hospital appointments.

9. Saved a fortune in hospital car parking . Parking in general.  Cost additional due to car fuel, maintenance . Everything.

Cloths de-icer  wipes cleaning materials and so on Blue Badge costs.

10. Taxi takes me to areas can not go , so parks outside bank, Post Office, no panics getting disabled spaces.

11. Great and used the middle rate to pay for this.

Saved around £50 a month.

One other if I had won an appeal a years wait would I lose the car again next time do I need this hassle.

One other relevant point health and safety and being aware of your own disability or illness or condition, how safe are you to drive or are the other way around are you safe from other drivers.

I know am now ageing feel can not drive had no wish to or want to.

One has be vigilant with Police around..

What a hassle be calm and think of the personal driver the taxi to drive you around happy in the knowledge you get there stress free.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Excellent spiceman. I am pleased that you have found a suitable way around your mobility issues
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous

1 - it’s not free. It requires a successful claim to PIP. Anyone care to make the case that that’s a walk in the park!

2 - the reason it’s cheaper than for other drivers is that the overwhelming majority of recipients are on a fixed income whereas the overwhelming majority of non-disabled car drivers are not. When it was introduced cars were not a cheap option and nowadays income has been frozen for four years and you have the benefit cap; bedroom tax and so on so it might look cheap but in most cases it barely makes it affordable. 
    I agree that is not free but you can have a car for approx half the cost of traditional finance so meaning that it is heavily discounted in favour of any disabled person millionaire or pauper..
    From what I have seen so far approx. 75% of those moving from DLA to PIP get a PIP award. For those that are new PIP claimants approx. half get the award that they are entitled to. Of those that don't and then go on to appeal at a tribunal up to 75% get the award they deserve. All in all most get the PIP award they are entitled to one way or another.
    Are they? that the most are on fixed low benefit income? Maybe some are but there are also many disabled people that are in receipt of a healthy income with some also having substantial capital reserves that they could draw on. Being disabled does not mean that they must be poor and have a pitiful credit rating. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.