Hi, my name is Cammysmum! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Cammysmum!

Cammysmum
Cammysmum Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I'm looking for advice as my son is going into independent living... And I am. Moving out... 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

May i ask what advise you would like please? I'm sure someone will be to answer any questions you have or point in the right direction at least.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • desiderata
    desiderata Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Hi Cammysmum
    I cant help with housing as I live in a horsebox. But goodluc . 
  • Cammysmum
    Instead of moving my severely autistic non verbal. Son. Out if his home... I would pref to move out and rent him our home... He nerds to be with younger people and fitter people... I' have looked after him alone for 20 years and now feel it time for him to. Get used to life without me looking after him. 
  • desiderata
    Bless thats kin . Will you rent private and rent your house to your son. Cant see why not as he will be entitled to housing benefit. 
  • desiderata
    You can do tbat rent your house to your son. But get private rent for yourself firs . Contact your local council once you have got anotber abode and address for yourself.  
  • Cammysmum
    I will be moving in with my husband. We only got married three weeks ago.. And just back off honeymoon.. I'm setting a care package up with my local council to ensure he has independent living whilst I can see how it works for him. Just don't know if I should apply for esa or universal credit??? 

• desiderata
    Esa or unversal credit for who ?
  • Cammysmum
    My son.... Who is 20 and on pip. 
  • desiderata
    It will be unversal credit tbat also covers ESA.  You can phone the job centrre and tbey will put you straight. 
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

It may not be possible to pass on the tenancy to your son, you will need to speak to your landlord regarding this.

For benefits then the only benefit that's possible for him to claim is Universal Credit. If he has a limited capability for work then he will need fit notes from his GP to be able to start the limited capability for work process off.

I would advise you to get some expert face to face advice from an agency near you. Put your postcode into this link and it will tell you what's local to you for that advice. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cammysmum
    Sorry its my own home.... Not rented..... Forgot to add 
  • poppy123456
    Do you mean for your son to claim for help with the rent for this? If so then you will need to provide a tenancy agreement for him and then you need to prove that the tenancy is a commercial one rather than an informal family arrangement. For example, if he didn't pay the rent would you evict him? https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/housing_benefit_renting_from_family

Also as you will be classed as a private landlord then he will only be able to claim for 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance.

This is really complicated and you really do need to get some expert face to face advice from an agency near you. Then you'll be able to give them all your information and they will advise you correctly.

• desiderata
    He will be able to claim housing benefit for a second bedroom if he has a carer stay on an ad hoc basis. 

• poppy123456
    He will be able to claim housing benefit for a second bedroom if he has a carer stay on an ad hoc basis. 

HI,

Sorry, that's not correct because new claims for housing benefit are no longer possible unless a person is claiming a severe disability premium and in this case they are not. All areas are now a full Universal Credit area and it will be this they will need to claim but whether they can claim for help with any rent here in another matter. Expert advice is needed here.
  • desiderata
    The lady states her son is fully autistic non verbal. Why wouldnt he be allowed a carer on his bad days ?????? 
  • desiderata
    How do you know he is not claiming severe disabilty premium. You should do your home work before you rubbish people off to make yourself sound important. 
    Its nice to be important but more important to be nice 
  • poppy123456
    The lady states her son is fully autistic non verbal. Why wouldnt he be allowed a carer on his bad days ?????? 

I never said he wouldn't be allowed a carer if you have another read of what i advised.

New claims for housing benefit are no longer possible because all areas are now a full Universal Credit area. As the house is her own house then renting to her son if he needs to claim for help with the rent may not be possible which is why i advised her to get some expert face to face advice. It's not always possible to claim for help with any rent when renting from family members.
  • desiderata
    Poppy were all equal and we dont stamp on people. If we do we do it gently. 
  • desiderata
    Poppy your the boss 
  • desiderata
    Nice name poppy

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.