PIP tribunal, what will happen? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP tribunal, what will happen?

scouser77
scouser77 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
edited April 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am due a phone call on the 22/04/2020 from the courts about mu pip appeal . I have had it refused and I put it to tribunal im nervous about this because I have been getting help for my pip from the cab and my health cares . How should I aproch this .very worried and scared im will make a mess of this on my own .can anybody offer support as to what to do or say . I have a file with ovet 200 pages and more from my doctor health care team james place and other health people . But I am not sure what will hapoen pls help 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    Hello @scouser1977    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Please we have plenty of advice on appeals on our website.

Please can I just say 200 pages of health problems and issues are too much.

No assessor or health professional would read any of that length.

Needs to be specific and clear precise information around the descriptors.

Just being honest open and how each descriptor effects you giving examples.

Of every day incidents tasks and how you cope.

Please if you have an health worker or support worker should ask them to explain to you more they should be advising you.

Part of their role. 

CAB should be doing the same offering information and advice.

Please if I can help more, please ask.

Please wish you well for a positive outcome.

Please take care and keep safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • scouser77
    Hi spiceman 

My 200 page is from my past dla/pip with when I had it and when I hot refused it .the care team are great and very helpful but hands are tied . The CAB have done a report about 4 page's long with my health and metal health . I am just worried they might start asking questions I cant answer . The cab team have said only answer to a qustion nothing else . I suffer high low moods which last days .just worried ill get pushed out of my zone .and go into a bad place I have wirked hard to battle snd have scars from .not looking forward to the phone call its 3 dats away snd I am scared 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @scouser77 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I know it's way easier said than done, but try not to worry. Tribunals will be stressful, but you can do this. You will just be asked questions about how your disability affects you, as my friend thespiceman has said.
    Please just take your time in answering, & try to give a couple of examples of the difficulties you faced, at the time of your assessment, to illustrate how your disability affects your daily life, & mobility if this is also problematic.
    They won't ask questions you can't answer, they just need to know the impact your disability has in your everyday life.
    If you don't understand any question, just ask them to repeat it, or ask it another way.
    Phone tribunals seem to be going well, with more people having a successful outcome recently!
    It also sounds good that the CAB have written a report on your behalf.
    Be yourself, be honest, & just try to get across how disabling your problems are.
    Good luck, & please let us all know how it goes. :)

• thespiceman
    Hello  @scouser1977    Thank you for reply. I have mental health anxiety and depression over along period of time.

I have knowledge experience of my issues and problems pass these on to other members as in my capacity in the role I do.

Understand the problems and issues. I do know that if the mental health teams should be advising you talking to you.

You should be talking to them about everything.

One other use and should be using anything they inform educate and learn from.

This includes coping methods, strategies looking at sleep, medications, diet and nutrition.

Meditation deep breathing and relaxation techniques.

If there not doing this, the whole ideas of mental health care and support is maintain your condition.

Cope on your own make your own decisions .

If you as my friend @chiarieds added sensible practical advice you be fine.

On relevant point mental health is an ongoing situation constantly.

Knowledge education the key changing support going and being referred to different support and charities associations.

If you think anything not helping or not be listened to have the right to complain but also find other sources.

I had my issues since early late teens now middle fifties.

Had alcoholism for thirty of those now clean thirteen years as did had anxiety with any of that bought of depression low mood and much more physical.

Having a disability as well. So first used Councils services not good but used charities all of these and may more over a thirty plus maybe longer period.

Mental health is a serious condition but you can live with it learning education hence the  below on my posts.

Given opportunities find knowledge and volunteer for courses to improve help you and stimulate the energy  you to cope.

I used and still do looking for courses ongoing many on line.

Please if you need to think of using other charities these the three I used.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk

https://www.mind.org.uk

https://www.rethink.org

Have floating support as mentioned welfare, health and any thing else you may wished to know.

Must add al support workers are long hours work hard do not run your life for you but have to tell them any issues or problems.

If you do not then the onus is your self that might cause problems for yourself relapse or being ill.

Responsibility  on you to look after yourself not support workers there role to pass on inform and advise.

If not caring for yourself any issues need to tell them and they might instil other avenues of support.

Must ask if you have support team offering text email or SKYPE then fine, if not then you need to ask .

I have a laptop from some charities they give you one.

Email and text all the time can do this, as my friend @chiarieds says.

Wish you well positive outcome. Calming music some cold water good night sleep good food always.

Breakfast Porridge Eggs need to be energised.

Any problems or issues happy to help just tag my name in.

Please take care contact me after wards see if you wish to talk through can be helpful eases mind.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • scouser77
    Hi thank you all for your support and advice I will report back with the news how the phone call went . Wish I had my team eith me to be honest anxiety is creeping up and im not looking forward to the call 
     with the court .. I will try and post the outcome .good or bad .once again thank you .
  • thespiceman
    Hello @scouser77   Please can you send them a text or a email just a thought.

One bits of advice regarding anxiety my top tips these are do work.

1.  Avoid all caffeine Coffee, Tea, Cola, Energy Drinks, Chocolate and avoid smoking alcohol.

All are stimulants more your anxious more you consume making conditions worse.

2.  Be constructive in your day make and do tasks house work, kitchen duties washing up use music and radio to help through the day.

3. I listen to Motown Soul Northern Soul . Jazz Swing all up beat music helps.

4. Do work out exercise to any tasks shake that booty and dance move around helps.

5.  Make simple meals and plan if you have a freezer make take out favourites we all love.

Chilli, Bolognese, Curry can not cook time to learn helps you take mind off problems.

Look on line plenty of recipes look around websites my recipes lots on here.

6.  Look at puzzles word games no TV unless it is stimulating interesting no media or news.

7.  Makes depression worse feel good films programmes, comedies whatever as long helps you.

8.  Look at volunteering on line plenty of opportunities here .

Always need members like me the Community Champions ask the team.

9.  Helps you  Email the team.

community@scope.org.uk

10 Be aware of new interests gardening not only good simple ones herb gardens.

Reading and using time wisley.

If you sit and fester as my support worker implied goes around in your head and becomes ear worms.

Effects diet stomach bowels and anything else trust me have that.

So a few aspects of the anxiety coping methods.

One other take time out meditation yoga relaxation .

Please take care one other to reassure you most tribunals and assessments are successful.

We never hear them in all my time as a claiming benefits had been since Eighties. Then again Nineties had good ones not many bad ones, more than ever.

Positivity and lots of confidence and may I add still have to continue applying even at my age so have to be lkie this.

What helps me was the support teams, if this means costing you there expenses used them.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • scouser77
    Hi team just a up date had my phone call regarding my pip appeal . Cant lie it was tough hard I felt like a Criminal was expecting qustion about my health on the day and how things were on my abasement interview .not a qustion was all in this month or you put this down why now but you could then went back to 2017 and 2014 .come away after the call upset and deflated anxious and hurt .. Was not easy trying to explain how things are . So I wait for the letter to come .i will post what happeens .
    But it was Hard really hard wouldn't like to do this again felt all wrong not being able to look at some 1 and show the difficulty I am having .

Stay safe and protect the NHS ..
  • scouser77
    Hi 
    Got my drwadex letter today .bad news the jugde and other 2 decided to award 0 for both daily and mobility .this has and is problem now .i can't it round my head . The chat was 99% about my job I did 3 years ago and nothing about my face to face .the Doctor was asking when you worked or did this then what hapoend I told him .reading post after post was feeling positive .not now feel let down .good luck to anybody having a hearing over the phone ..
  • scouser77
    Thanks for thr reply ?found out today after reading a post from the minster of health he wrote on the 23/4/2020 .
    Having a phone call I was aloud a person to be with me for support . My partner is my rock but I got told by the Court I had to be on my own .
    If I knew that then I would of been less scared and anxious .think ill be calling the Court to ask why I got told this . 
    I didn't score any point at the face to face or by the court . Whole thing was basis and wrong .
    Sorry but still very up set and having trouble gettig my head round it 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Really sorry to hear this @scouser! This must have been a lot to get your head around. How are you today?
    Scope

• scouser77
    Hi Cloe .
    Gutted to tell the. Truth you think having all the reports from doctors .care team . Hospital report would go in your favour NOPE !! Felt I was robbed they told me I had to be alone during the call .now I find out thats not true . Getting a letter of the Court saying they agree with the face to facr is not very nice . They both gave me a score of 0 for both .today like yesterday and days weeks month's before that im in pain and lowmood . Never mind you cant see that over the phone .pip was going to help me try and have a little bit of a life . 
    The whole call was horrible snd very unpleasant felt like I was a criminal standing trail .. Dont wish it on anybody .
    That's how I feel daily sore low mood . No intereste's in me or anything . Wish I was dead dometimes
  • scouser77
    What is SOR/ROP ABD HET advice .?? 
    They call didnt ask about my face to face .were more voncerd about my past working life not my life and needs now ? . 
    Dwp win dont have the engry to fight 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @scouser77  '......you need to request the SOR (Statement of Reasons)/ROP (Record of Proceedings) and get advice.'
  • scouser77
    Im giving up Im not goo on the phone and not cleaver cab help me but im not aruging with the judge. In case I sond daft 
  • scouser77
    Might do it just need to get the stamp and make a phone call ..then take it from there . Let you all no what happens 
  • ali901
    ali901 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Hi mate sorry to hear about your case I've got mine next month? What did they say in your telephone interview 
  • scouser77
    Hi oli .
    My call was asking stuff like .when you worked o. The docks in 2017 how did you mange with your pain .? You have a dog how far can you walk with it . When you get a bath or go the toilet . Loads of question's about my pass .asked 2 questions about the face to face . Which I said didn't happen and .i had judge,& 2 doctor's in on the call I felt ashamed when the call was over .still feel angry upset .all I can say is make sure you have somebody with you to help.  I hope you win buddy and best of luck with everything .

Scouser77
  • jobarlow
    jobarlow Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi, i am new and felt.i have to comment, I had a pip tribunal today via phone, this is ongoing since 2017 I have had to go to upper tribunal courts long process and they sent it back to first tier who I spoke today, 3 hours on phone and I feel in bits emotionally and physically drained. I feel I have been chewed up and spat out. Now I have to wait for decision in post... thought this would be easier especially as upper tribunal agreed the first tier had error in law and the dwp agreed they errored in law. Now I feel I was on trial. The upper tribunal said that I should of been awarded but to let first tier rehear the case. I am worried sick I thought once upper gave directions it would be straight forward not 3 hours of grilling. Anyone else been in same situation. Thanks
  • jobarlow
    jobarlow Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    jobarlow said:
    hi, i am new and felt.i have to comment, I had a pip tribunal today via phone, this is ongoing since 2017 I have had to go to upper tribunal courts long process and they sent it back to first tier who I spoke today, 3 hours on phone and I feel in bits emotionally and physically drained. I feel I have been chewed up and spat out. Now I have to wait for decision in post... thought this would be easier especially as upper tribunal agreed the first tier had error in law and the dwp agreed they errored in law. Now I feel I was on trial. The upper tribunal said that I should of been awarded but to let first tier rehear the case. I am worried sick I thought once upper gave directions it would be straight forward not 3 hours of grilling. Anyone else been in same situation. Thanks
    Just to reassure you to some extent, when the UT send your case back to FTT because of an error of law what you’re getting is a complete rehearing so you’re going in with a nil award once again. The UT can give directions but the FTT don’t have to follow them. I’m not convinced the UT will have said you ought to have been awarded. If that was right they’d have replaced the original FTT decision with one of their own. 

When these things get back to FTT though they are anxious to not see it go back to UT so they will tend to take their time. If your case involved an error of law like insufficient findings of fact they will also go out of their way to get as much evidence as possible before making new findings of fact. From your perspective it can be exhausting but it’s very much not you that’s in trial so much as the evidence in the appeal bundle. 
    The upper tribunal gave directions of what they did not take in consideration and questioned why did I have dla then not pip in simple terms. Also they said upper tribunal don't normally over turn they normally send back for a new hearing I have read somewhere on one of these sites. They did not add any more info to the bundle and the dwp didnt attend the hearing. I cant believe it took 3 hours to do the hearing yeah i was drained its been a long process and I just want this over I can understand why people don't appeal. 
  • kim123
    kim123 Community member Posts: 75 Listener
    Hi how long does it take to have ur pip tribunal decision by letter it for my miss

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.