Universal credit and housing benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit and housing benefit

dkuk2020
dkuk2020 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi,
I'm currently living at home but looking to move out soon. I'm also receiving ESA. I need to find out roughly how much housing support I can get. I know this can only be done properly when I have a specific flat in mind. When on check the LHA site based on a flatshare the rate is £150 per week but a 1 bedroom is £250 per week. I'm looking for either a studio or a flatshare - a flatshare being more likely with 1-3 others. I know there are online forms to help with this on the gov.uk site i.e turn to us and entitled to but I find the forms to complicated to do on my own. Can anyone help with this?

Comments

• philip500
    philip500 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    i live in great yarmouth near the sea side, you are welcome to stop here it is up to you, many thanks
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dkuk2020 - Welcome to the community. I'm sorry you're finding the forms you mention complicated, but I'll ask a member of the Scope team to advise you tomorrow. :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dkuk2020 welcome to scope, LHA depends also on your age under 35 and you will only get the rate for a one bedroom, you can check on the councils website for the different rates for your area and these are the maximum amounts they will pay if the rent is dearer you would have to make up any difference.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @dkuk2020. Can I ask whether you are over or under 35 and whether you receive PIP?

If you are under 35 and don't receive PIP, you'll be entitled to the Shared Room rate LHA (regardless of the property you're in). If you're over 35, or receive PIP, you should receive the 1 bed rate.
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dkuk2020
    Thanks alot for all your responses much appreciated! I am 38 and not receiving PIP just Employment and support. I checked a site with LHA details (https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Search.aspx?Postcode=nw11%2b9rj&LHACategory=1&Month=5&Year=2020)

I'm not sure how reliable this site is looks quite offical. According do this for a specific flat I'm seeing (2 bed sharing with with other person) tonight the rate quoted is 300 per week (1200) per month. This is alot and surely not the case?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @dkuk2020. The LHA you've linked to is correct and accurate, but without knowing the area you're moving to I couldn't check the figures. 
    Regardless of the property size, if you're claiming benefits as a single person, aged 38, with no children, you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate (or the maximum rent, if that is lower than the LHA).
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dkuk2020
    Thanks for that Adrian. I dont know the exact location i'll be moving to yet but it will be in North West London area. That quote is for a flat in golders green.
  • dkuk2020
    I feel I need to find out for sure if this is the case Adrian and have contacted the paperweight trust to help with this. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.