Hi, my name is Cerys! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Cerys!

cerysdv
cerysdv Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, I'm Cerys, and I only recently discovered Scope had an online community. I wanted to join because I'm finding it extremely difficult to cope with my chronic pain in lockdown, as I can't access physiotherapy or anything anymore. I think just being in a community of people who understand how rough it can be would be helpful, and I'd love to help others who are struggling with disability related things I've had to deal with before. I hope to find some people I can get along with here :smile:

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    I'm glad you discovered us @cerysdv! Let me wish you a warm welcome to our little community. :smile:
    Have you had a look at our thread on managing pain during isolation at all? Can I ask what you've been doing to try and alleviate pain lately?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • cerysdv
    Hi Adrian! Thank you for the welcome :) i haven't seen the thread yet but i'll have a look now. I've been using CBD but i'm having to ration it as i'm struggling to get hold of more at the moment. I also use cocodamol, pregabalin, and heat packs and water bottles. I'm really struggling to find a balance between resting and getting some sort of exercise (I use crutches full time as well so that doesn't help haha)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    Hi @cerysdv. It sounds like you're having a really rough time. Hopefully someone else around here will have some ideas for you.

In the meantime, you're more than welcome to get involved in some of the discussions around here and just let me know if there's anything else we can do or advise with. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cerysdv - Welcome to this friendly & supportive community. I'm sorry you have chronic pain, something many of us struggle with. I do hope you have a look at the link Adrian gave as, at the top of this, are several helpful links. The one called 'Online resources for managing pain' is one put together by physiotherapists, so I hope that may be particularly helpful. I use exercise, CBD, pregabalin & a hot water bottle too!
    If you're having difficulty getting CBD, I can recommend the following company: https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/   
    I mention this, as I just got an email from them yesterday, saying they were still open with their online business. They have good quality, lab-certified CBD at a reasonable price. I use the green oil which is particularly helpful with pain. See: https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/product/simplycbd-green-10ml-30ml/    There are 2 different size bottles, but both have the same percentage of CBD in them. They are also fairly fast to deliver.
    I hope some of the above may be helpful, & that you enjoy being part of our community too. :)

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cerysdv and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear you are struggling with pain so much, especially during lock-down.  Pain is so debilitating, but not helped at all by the present circumstances.  Hopefully some measures will be eased soon to allow people like yourself to access appointments again such as physiotherapy and I hope that helps.  I, like many of us here, suffer from some pain too and I also take Co-codamol which does help at times.  I find also that a hot water bottle is good too as @chiareds has suggested above and I hope you find the other information/advice given to be helpful too.  Sometimes I also find an ice pack can help alleviate my pain too, it just depends.  The nice warmer weather helps me too so I try to get out in that in my garden as much as I can just now.  Have you ever thought about a Pain Clinic to see if that can help you.  Although these will be shut just now, your GP could maybe refer you there once lock-down is over if that is something you would wish to try.  There it is all about the various ways to manage pain and have Consultants, physiotherapists and counsellors attached to them to help people also.  Just a thought.  I also try to take my mind off pain when I can tolerate it by doing some reading or doing some crafts as it takes my mind off it a lot.  I have also started Tai Chi in the last few months which helps with my pain too as it involves gentle movements which you can do from a sitting position.  I too walk with 2 crutches so can understand that this can add to your pain at times.  Although Tai Chi groups are closed just now as well, you can often find online videos classes through YouTube which I have using during lock-down.  

Anyway I hope whatever method you use and works for you that your pain eases somewhat soon.  We are all here to support you on the forum, of course, so please do chat to us anytime you want to as there will always be someone on here to listen and often chatting helps too.  We all appreciate how debilitating pain can be!  You will certainly meet lovely and friendly people on here who love to chat!  So I hope to see more of you here and I hope also that you enjoy your time with us on the Community and meet some new friends along the way.  

If we can be of any help/support to you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cerysdv

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I’m one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I have had chronic pain since 2005 following some hospital treatment.

Yes I have tried everything that you have mentioned.

The only thing that seems to help the best is staying off my right leg 24/7.

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cerysdv Welcome to the community I'm really glad you found us here. I hope you manage to get your pain under control . 

I don't have any further advice to the excellent advice others have given I just wanted to say Hi
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @cerysdv
  • cerysdv
    Hi everyone! Thank you all so much for the kind welcomes and advice. Not good anyone is ill, but feels nice to know I'm not alone with these sorts of things. I'm gonna look at getting more CBD. Luckily a family member has given me some CBD sweet things which are helping! I'm also gonna look at new types of exercise and such like tai chi and yoga. I've avoided yoga because theyr'e often large classes and I can't participate in most moves with my restrictions with my leg, but might be ok trying it myself at home
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @cerysdv! Really glad you found us. I have started yogo during lockdown, despite not doing it as much as I would like! Please let us know how you find it. :)
    Scope

Brightness