Hi, my name is m_burrell82! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is m_burrell82!

m_burrell82
m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
I'm Mark Burrell, living at New Addington, outer London. Very lonely since the Lock Down. As if I wasn't lonely enough before!  I am on psychiatric medication. Among all the things I used to do before the Lock Down, I was doing voluntary work for an hour on a Friday at the West Croydon store. I wont be the only one looking forward to it being opened up again.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Sorry to hear you’ve been feeling lonely throughout all of this @m_burrell82 but I’m glad you found us. How have you been keeping busy since lockdown?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there nice to welcome you on board here. We are always here to have a chat or offer support and advice.

Have a good look round the site the coffee lounge or welcome and introductions is a good place to start

Feel free to join in any discussions or start your own 
  • m_burrell82
    well, through lockdown? So much that I usually go to closed. My carer comes in every day. I've had my walks through the woods near New Addington. During the time I've had to sort out a new Washing Machine and new television. From Amazon, I have actually already got 3 calendars for 2021. I usually have a lot of calendars. A hint to Scope when they get their calendars for 2021. For me to me interested in them, maybe try celebrity calendars or something interesting!!?!!!
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @m_burrell82 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear you are finding it quite lonely during lock-down and can appreciate that you are longing to return to your voluntary work once things have eased somewhat.  You certainly sound as though you have been keeping busy throughout all this though, which is great!  Your calendars sound nice.  Have you always liked calendars?

I hope you enjoy your time with us on the forum and make some new friends along the way.  Everyone is lovely and friendly on here so I'm sure you will fit right in.  I look forward to seeing you around.  If we can be of any help/support to you then please just say.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Lauren95
    Lauren95 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hello it’s nice to meet you am
    so sorry you have been feeling lonely hope we can help?  all the best Lauren 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @m_burrell82 - Welcome to this friendly & supportive group. I know it's not the same as being able to go out, & do your voluntary work as well, but many of us find that chatting here helps. As you see, there are often people about on the forum, & you can also join in with any of the discussions (links at the top of this page), as well as chat here any time. I hope you have continued to enjoy your walks during this good weather. :)
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @m_burrell82

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you.

I am one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes we are currently living in a very very strange time currently.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with???

@steve51
  • m_burrell82
    Just if I could connect more with any one. I've been lonely enough normal times. Shielding/ staying indoors all that time would have been Hell for me. I hope that the shops open soon. Maybe on that June 15th date?
  • m_burrell82
    Actually, a major problem I have is I can't stand the cold. I have a real hard time getting through winter. (One reason why its terrible to me that the authorities have messed up our summer). My carer has been trying to connect me to her sister, I think she said, in Nigeria, which I would love to move to - not sure that's the plan though. Then there is three main web sites, too naughty to name here, where I am talking to many, many ladies, mainly in The States. Some have suggested I go there and/or some have said that they will come here. Moving to somewhere like Texas would solve my problem too. Of course travel is a big problem right now, although my carer has said that she will help me get a new passport when the right time has come. I have sent out suggestions on how I could get work there, to stay, maybe on getting round Trumps new Immigration laws. If any one could give me advice, suggestions, help here, please do.

You said that I have people following me. Where do I find who these are??
  • Ails
    Sorry to hear that you find the cold a problem here @m_burrell82.  The Winters in the UK can be very harsh at times!  It is understandable to want to get out just now in the lovely sunshine and I hope you can manage this soon.  Good luck with your plans for moving abroad also as this sounds interesting.

In the meantime, please feel free to chat to us anytime as we are all really friendly on here and the forum is a great place to meet new friends.  All the best.  :smile:
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Hi m_burrell82  It's nice to meet you!  Do you know something I think you are very brave because you have stayed at home during this crisis even though you hate being lonely,  You done what was asked to do and that is so good of you. Well done  
  • m_burrell82
    I don't know whether Scope got the survey (maybe more than once). My lap top was misbehaving. Shows how I could do with getting help/advice from someone all the time and not be so isolated.
  • Ails
    Please chat to anytime @m_burrell82 if you are feeling isolated.  We are always up for a chat on here and there are many lovely people to talk to.  I have a laptop that often misbehaves too, lol!   :p
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @m_burrell82, I'm glad you found us! 

Please feel free to have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about all sorts. :)
    Scope

• m_burrell82
    Added some stuff, but I also speak to so many ladies in the States, on accounts I daren't mention here, I get so tired. Also so many messages on line I'm not going to get thro' and getting very tired on medication rite now.
  • Ails
    Sorry to hear your medication is making you very tired, @m_burrell82.  I hope you feel better soon and manage to get through all of your messages.  Have a nice weekend.  :smile:
  • m_burrell82
    I'm sure Risperidone usually makes folk tired. Time my GPs reviewed it. 

I don't know whether folk here can help lonely folk like me find that other household you are allowed to go to now.

Met a guy that works at the West Croydon store, who said that he has heard the shop will be open from the 22nd. I hope it reopens at the latest that week then.

• phillycollings29
    phillycollings29 Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
    @m_burrell82 Welcome to the community.  Hope you enjoy reading through all your messages and they make you feel less lonely:)

Brightness