Why did they give it to me in the first place? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why did they give it to me in the first place?

parko
parko Community member Posts: 48 Connected
edited November 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi new to the forum not good doing this but I will try . About 9 years ago my wife had 2 break downs in 6month. world turn upside down with two you girls to look after . The crises team where help ful the said about making a claim for cares allowance and there would help me with the form .I work so I filed it in got word back saying I was entiled to it so that was that. shock get a letter off them to say I should have not got it in the first place. I told no lies on the form did not know about £120 or so you cant go over I was and still working 39 hours no change at all so why did there give it ti me in the first place . Got a letter asking for a few pay slips sent them off am going to my cab office this what will . My wife not in good health trying to keep this from here

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @parko

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scopes.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with.

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @parko Welcome to the community.

How long have you been claiming CA before they got in touch to say you were not entitled ? I know there is an earnings limit for you to be entitled to it. Did they ask about your earnings before when you claimed. Were you not made aware of the earnings limit

It is also hard to claim carers when working full time as you have to care for the person for at least 35 hours per week to claim and on top of  full time job this doesn't leave much free time.

If they try and claim back anything they have paid I would try and oppose this if you completed the form with correct information  
  • parko
    Hi I have just received access request for all the paper work there have on us . On the form I told the truth my wages and 6 wage slips. looking back what I know now I was well over the amount. so why did there not stopped it then Hi I was claiming this for 11 years I always thought it was means tested. 

• atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @parko

A warm welcome.

You need to get a copy of your original claim form, that you completed 11 years ago.

Each year since then, you should have been sent an award letter, from DWP.

In this letter it sets out in detail, what you have to report to DWP, that you are working 39 hour week and are earning £X per week.

The onus is always on the claimant to report a change of circumstances, to DWP.

You should seek detailed assistance and advice from a Welfare Rights Advisor.

Let us know how you get on.

Stay kind and be safe.
  • parko
    Hi like I have posted I have all the paper work from the first day 39hours my wage well over the limit and 6 wage slips saying the same think. so why give it to me
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @parko how are you today? If you have updated them from the start with your earnings then it could and i stress could be classed as official error which may (may) not have to be repaid, although I would ask when you became aware of the earnings limit?
    However best advice I can offer is to contact CAB or welfare rights and see what they have to say.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• parko
     I came aware when there asked me to send some wage slips in. As we think one of you are working. I have got a solicitor on stand by but as he says cant do out at the moment because we don't know what DWP are going to do . This has been going on from start of march could I be looking at a court case what could happen. My wife getting stress again
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    As the solicitor says all you can do is wait and see what the DWP say, if you have been updating them on a regular basis with proof of your income which was above the limit then you have done nothing wrong, its their mistake not yours. The link below is worth a read:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/problems-with-benefits-and-tax-credits/challenging-a-benefit-decision/challenging-a-dwp-benefit-decision-on-or-after-28-october-2013/common-reasons-for-changing-a-dwp-benefit-decision/your-benefit-decision-has-been-changed-because-of-official-errors-or-changes-in-the-law/
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• parko
    Thanks for your help and advice it goes a long way . Does it take this long  or is it because the virus is slowing thinks down
  • parko
    Hi still no news
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @parko, sorry you still haven't heard anything. It used to take quite some time even before the lockdown etc, but I imagine it's going to take a little longer now. I hope you hear something soon.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • parko
    Hi still no news got my letter on 22nd of feb long time waiting for that postman 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I can imagine @parko! Sorry it's taking so long.
    Scope

• parko
    Hi well i got a letter today A lot to fill in . it states that 17 feb 2020 your payments where stopped. Your ni records show you have been working. ( there knew that on my first application) Then there ask me to fill the forms in Date i started / wages still carer for my wife /my job /pay role number i have waited for the forms to come for 5 months and there want all these back by the 27 of this month
  • parko
    Thanks for that i rang my solicitor today he said its a bit early to see him as there have not said what there going to do next  .i have been waiting for months now when i get  news i started worry again . with the wife haveing 2 breakdowns in the past i rely on you peaple to talk to many thanks
  • parko
    Hi to every one. rang this morning see if there was any news. There said it goes to another department. He says there have all the paper work in just not made any decision yet . i told him i got all the paper work off you and states my wages were well over. 6 wages slips stated that. He said it might have taken off other wage slips i said why ask for the last 6 . i said what would happen when there come to a decision He said a repayment plan or if cant pay that amount there would prob wright it off and fine me but no court action . Why do i not believe it
  • parko
    Hi to every one. rang this morning see if there was any news. There said it goes to another department. He says there have all the paper work in just not made any decision yet . i told him i got all the paper work off you and states my wages were well over. 6 wages slips stated that. He said it might have taken off other wage slips i said why ask for the last 6 . i said what would happen when there come to a decision He said a repayment plan or if cant pay that amount there would prob wright it off and fine me but no court action . Why do i not believe it
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @parko. Thanks for coming back to update us. It's a shame you're still waiting for news, I imagine it's a pretty stressful time for you.
    Hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer and a plan can be worked out with them.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • parko
    you are right Username_removed the few times i have talked to them no one has mention it
  • parko
    Hi after nearly 8 months am no further on

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.