Hi, my name is chorry72! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is chorry72!

chorry72
chorry72 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello everyone, I am brand new here and not sure what to say!

I have various health conditions including degenerative disc, facet artropathy and fibromyalgia.  I am going through the process of being dismissed from work due to ill health (NHS) and am just staring applications for ill health retirement and PIP (not sure if I can get both!). I find it helpful to hear about other people’s conditions, how they are affected and how they cope - as well as giving me ideas it helps to know I’m not alone. I have supportive family and friends but most of them don’t understand the pain and fatigue.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Afternoon @chorry72 and welcome to the community. :) 

When filling out an application for PIP, keep in mind that it isn't based on diagnosis, but on how your condition affects your everyday life, so it's possible you may be able to receive PIP as well as it's not means-tested either. :smile:

Unfortunately friends and family will rarely be able to fully appreciate what it's like to live  a day in your shoes, but places like our community are great for peer to peer support and for finding folks who 'get it' a little bit better. I hope you stick around and take part in our discussions. Don't hesitate to shout if you need any help or support with anything, too!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chorry72

Welcome to our online community/family.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I also had to take early retirement from the NHS a few years ago now.

Yes I was able to get both my pension & pip.

My health problems started in 1998 when I had a Stroke.

Since then I have had a number of brain operation’s

How are you doing today????

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with????

@steve51
  • chorry72
    Today is like most days. Wake up late feeling like I haven’t slept! It takes me a while to get the energy to shower and dress.  My son and husband are both working from home at the moment so it’s great having help on hand.  Hope you are both well x
  • steve51
    Hi @chorry72

Yes I also have major problems with my fatigue/pain levels.

I have also got my wife & daughter at home currently due to the ongoing troubles.

This is working very well as I can still be in bed just before they come home in the afternoon.

How are things with you today???

Please let me know if you need any further help????

@steve51

• chorry72
    @steve51 I am finally up and dressed!  I had a call from occupational health bringing forward my appointment to discuss ill health retirement so thats good, Can’t imagine I’ll get it but at least I have OH and GP looking at whether they can support my application. Nearly ready to send PIP application off as well so hopefully I can just forget about it for a while! So much added stress when you feel rubbish already ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chorry72 Welcome to the community from me too great to have you on board.

I have different disabilities mainly leg amputation and blind in one eye amongst pthers.

I am familiar with the PIP process having gone through this myself also the  Manager so plenty of experience at the other side of ill health retirement

I hope everything works out for you and its good you have supportive family around.

We are always here to help
  • steve51
    Hi @chorry72

You will feel much better once you are up & about.

Yes I had to deal with both OH & my GP.

This worked out very well in the end so it was well it in the end.

Have you had any help with your pip application????

The rule with this benefit is completely different to any other benefit.

There are a number of “Descriptors” that need to be meet for all of the questions within the application form.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#daily-living-activities

Please let me know if you hit any problems????

@steve51
  • chorry72
    Thanks @steve51 I have seen the descriptors and worked around these detailing my average day and how my worst day differs. I have all sort of evidence showing my symptoms and conditions.  Also literally just heard that my GP will do the retirement application if OH do one of the questions which is job role specific.  Happy days 
  • steve51
    Hi @chorry72

Yes that sounds great with your pip application.

Sorry for another question but have you tried the “pip self test”

Here’s a link below for you.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip-test

Your early retirement seems to be coming along nicely.

@steve51
  • chorry72
    @steve51 the application is starting to come together, whether I get it or not is another thing !!
  • steve51
    Hi @chorry72

That sounds great!!

Do you want me to go through the pip self test with you as this will give you a good idea????

@steve51
  • chorry72
    I’ve done that. Got 13 points on first one and 12 on the second but that’s me assessing myself. I so often hear of people’s assessments being underscored ?
  • steve51
    Hi @corry

That’s great did you get the pip at the end??

Yes I have also read some horror story’s that’s why I am trying to help you now.

Will you be going to your f2f or will you have them come to you????

@steve51
  • chorry72
    I would have for higher for both, but doubt that.  I out in the form to ask for home visor or phone call so we’ll see what they say. Posting it tomorrow x
  • steve51
    Hi @chorry72

That sounds great, I did get them to me but I was & still am house bound.

Yes fingers crossed please please let me know how you get on if you don’t mind????

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chorry72 - Welcome to this friendly & supportive community. Thank you for joining, & sharing about yourself.
    I have the hypermobile type of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (hEDS), which has caused generalised osteoarthrosis. I have a little understanding, as the pain many of us with hEDS have has been said to be most like the pain of fibromyalgia. And yes, the fatigue, & trying to find your 'get up & go'.
    Non-refreshing sleep is something many won't 'get' unfortunately, & that you have a limited amount of energy, & have to use it wisely.
    I'm very sorry to read you've had to give up work because of your health issues. It sounds like things are beginning to come together tho for the help you need. Your GP sounds supportive, & you have understood about your PIP claim. I wish you well, & hope you find this community a good place to be. As Steve says, please let us know how you get on.
    Please also have a look around the forum as there is much advice to be found, or visit our virtual 'Coffee lounge' for a break from thinking about our disabilities! Please also use this as a place to chat any time as there's usually someone about. Nice to 'meet' you. :)

Brightness