Life during lockdown - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Life during lockdown

Comments

• Stickman
    Stickman Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    A couple of days ago I tried to get a shopping slot at Sainsburys only to be told that I need to register with the government as being vulnerable in order to do so.  I registered with the government and waited for a letter from my GP - I understood that if I did this I WOULD get a shopping slot at Sainsburys.  I received a letter from my GP saying that I wasn't entitled a slot!  It seems that that was a waste of time!  I now shop with Iceland.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,622 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @deb74 Morning Deb, yeah a wee dog be good for me in a lot of areas company, get some much needed exercise and not to mention meeting new ppl, so something to look forward to once I eventually get my knees done. Hope you enjoy your day. 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @Lou67. I have always had rescue dogs. There are so many dogs out there that need a new home. Bella was a working dog until she started to go a bit deaf and her owner couldn't use her on the farm anymore and she was given to me. 
  • Lou67
    Hi@deb74 Hi Deb that’s a lovely thing to do,I think that’s what I will look into when I’m looking for a dog for myself, also thanks for taking time to answer it’s appreciated.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Stickman said:
    A couple of days ago I tried to get a shopping slot at Sainsburys only to be told that I need to register with the government as being vulnerable in order to do so.  I registered with the government and waited for a letter from my GP - I understood that if I did this I WOULD get a shopping slot at Sainsburys.  I received a letter from my GP saying that I wasn't entitled a slot!  It seems that that was a waste of time!  I now shop with Iceland.
    Really sorry you have struggled to get a delivery slot @Stickman. Are you still able to access food? 
    Scope

• Stickman
    Iceland are pretty good so as I mentioned, I may stay with them - or check out my local Lidl when it opens.
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    edited May 2020
    Due to nature of my rare medical condition I am every year spending nearly 9 months indoors as I am sensitive to cold. Spring and summer is a time when I can be more outside. I miss lying on the blanket in the sun, I miss picnic, I miss seating on the bench observing people. I am overtired of being indoor as I am bringing child on my own and now managing everything including homeschooling is a bit too much as I did not have any holidays for the last 7 years. I do not like this lockdown at all. 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited May 2020
    Stickman said:
    Hi

I hope everyone is doing OK during this Lockdown.  How is everyone coping with it?

I am certainly fed up of being stuck indoors, but there are things to stay positive. 

I have an exercise bench with leg curl/leg extension attachment and do a workout every day to keep in shape.  Apart from this I do stretches, exercises to strengthen my core muscles and I also have an exercise bike.

I find it difficult to get shopping at a time like this as all supermarkets have got certain restrictions in place, but again, there are a lot of places I have discovered through the internet, these are: -

Oakhouse foods for frozen food, frozen veg and frozen desserts
    Onlinecoffeesupplies for coffee
    Pact Coffee for coffee beans
    Ebay possibly for milk and toiletries
    Amazon Pantry
    Just Natural for tea bags and porridge

Just thought I'd share this with you.

Stay safe.

For me it is just the same as before.

More others are now for a short time experiencing how i have to live to avoid the lack of understand of my communication disability, and my need to avoid and further disability discrimination.

May be sometime in the future the Multi Discipline Team of medical professionals who should be providing the support that all of my family require, as we all have a clinical diagnosis of Auditory Processing Disorder, stop massaging their egos and begin to work as a support team to explain the complex issues we have to live with to others, and how they and others can begin to provide the communication accommodations we desperately need.   
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I have finally managed to get an online delivery with Iceland! A few thing were out of stock or limited but I managed to get everything I needed. I was told that they had taken on more staff to cope with the high demand for online shopping.
  • littlechef
    littlechef Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    I must say I can get a delivery every week same time and day with asda as recognised by the government as at a high risk it did take a number of weeks but at least I can get something but not everything as out of stock. 
  • IrishManc
    IrishManc Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    I think that the biggest thing for me during lockdown is missing my family back home in Ireland when here in Manchester, where the Irish restrictions are set to last for the remainder of 2020 and I will be 50 on 2nd of October next - I have completed two online courses and this experience has shown me that working from home is not for me - being on Universal Credit, I’ve applied for lots of supermarket jobs but have not got any replies, even though I’ve worked in entry level supermarket jobs for well over 20 years, my last job for a well known UK supermarket being for almost 17 years, from which I was made redundant in Sept 2019. I’m hoping that this new antibody test as U.K. lockdown restrictions are lifted will enable me to work and to travel home to Ireland - I listen to Catholic Mass online, I watch programmes on the RTE player as well as the RTE News, history programmes on YouTube and on Netflix, where I also watch Ru Paul’s Drag Race - I also love all things Italian and I have taken virtual tours of important buildings and churches in Venice, Florence and the Vatican, only recently taken an interest in the Italian railways and seeing how they are different from ours (the Vatican, for example, even has its own railway station) but at this stage, have got used to current lockdown restrictions (as of 15 May)

- I’ve got good reports from my family in my home County in Rural Ireland via email, many of whom are either recovering from cancer treatments or are over 70 and are “cocooning” (self-isolating) where our caretaker Taoiseach (Prime Minister) a medical Doctor by profession before he became a Fine Gael TD in Dáil Éireann (Parliament - similar to House of Commons) is doing an excellent job, where National (Primary) School Children are still getting lessons from home via RTÉ TV and they are looking for ways to ensure that older students can still do their Junior Cert & Leaving Cert (GCSE’s) this year - our Garda Siochana (Police) are doing an excellent job in keeping people safe and keeping morale up too 
  • Stickman
    I managed to get an online slot yesterday from my usual supermarket.
  • Lou67
    Hi glad to hear you were able to get your delivery.
  • Stickman
    This lockdown maybe easing but I still feel like a prisoner.  When will it all end?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    It has been a long time now! How are you managing @Stickman?
    Scope

• IrishManc
    The new Irish government has announced a review of travel restrictions on 20th July, as reported on the RTE News app and meanwhile, I have attended a job interview on 19th June last, so as they requested my bank details, I’m now waiting to hear about my start date and what location I will be working at - I doubt if I’ll ever get used to wearing a face mask on board public transport though, as even Stena and Irish Ferries on their Holyhead to Dublin sailings are making them mandatory, which aside from public transport here, is also mandatory in Ireland too
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, whilst scrolling down the topics, I thought I`d read `life after lockdown`....so what will you look forward to doing that you haven't been able to do?
    For me, it`s getting my hair cut!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Hi, whilst scrolling down the topics, I thought I`d read `life after lockdown`....so what will you look forward to doing that you haven't been able to do?
    For me, it`s getting my hair cut!

Great question ! 

There are honestly so many things I'm looking forward to, but top of the list has to be going back to concerts, I miss live music. Gonna be a while until that's possible though
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm looking forward to getting started with some new treatment.

I do find it odd that a hair salon can open but my hospital is still closed. Strange priorities!
  • IrishManc
    A biggie for me is watching across the water to the review by the newly formed Irish government of the travel restrictions by the 20th July next, as I live alone in the UK and have extended family and friends just outside of Dublin, usually going over for 5 days at a time on SailRail (train and ferry via Holyhead) - the Irish tourist and travel industry has been very badly affected according to RTÉ News and even our national airline Aer Lingus has gone into the fray against the Irish government’s being behind the rest of the EU, but because the UK’s cases are not being as low as scientific and medical experts would like, travel to Ireland from the UK is being curtailed, even though Irish people are still flying into the U.K. and by ferry without restriction - because of the Common Travel Area, there are concerns that this could damage diplomatic relations between Dublin and London, so many of us Irish living here in the U.K. who want to get home are trapped over here - we just want to tell our Taoiseach and the rest of our TD’s in Dáil Éireann (in the nicest possible way) to “cop yourselves on” as I have written to all my local TD’s in the Dáil by now about this issue - aside from mere “compliance with law” (a tactic that the “woke” left do when they have lost the argument) at this point in the pandemic, I’m starting to really wonder if some have been less than truthful, especially with MSM media reporting and figures, especially given that medical and scientific opinions are hugely divided on this issue, to say the very least - the supposed “second wave” is something that I’m beginning to really doubt will happen, as I don’t personally known of anyone who has contracted this virus, but I’ve known of plenty whose lives have been turned upside down as a result of the fear mongering and the restrictions and its clear at this point that so many things do not add up when one applies critical thinking and basic common sense to all aspects of this

Brightness