Navigating through lockdown — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Navigating through lockdown

serenk
serenk Community member Posts: 18 Courageous

I’ve been shielding with my boyfriend for around 10 weeks now. I have a condition called EGPA, which is a type of vasculitis, and my boyfriend has Ulcerative Colitis. These are both autoimmune conditions which make us vulnerable to illness. As a result, we have had to live in the strictest conditions to avoid contracting the virus.

What has lockdown meant for us?

We haven’t been able to go outside, not even for food shopping or to see anyone outside of our household. As a result, we’ve had to rely on supermarket deliveries, the kindness of friends and even strangers to bring us essential supplies. Whenever we bring something into the house, we must fully disinfect it and wash our hands regularly.

It has been hard, but we are both incredibly privileged and recognise this daily. We are both in full-time employment which enables us to pay our rent and bills, and we're lucky to live in a flat with a garden. Fortunately, no one close to us has died from the virus, which is an unbelievable relief that thousands of people over the country do not share. 

Lockdown has also meant ongoing confusion and uncertainty.

Daily briefings in the early stages focused on the healthy and the elderly, but not the 14 million disabled people in the UK. As a disabled person, it’s not unusual to feel disregarded or ignored. You just have to look at the inaccessible PIP assessment or the general lack of accessible infrastructure to know this. However, this lack of acknowledgement was particularly scary when the pandemic hit.

Identifying who is vulnerable

Vulnerable people were told by the government that they would get a letter from the NHS, but there was no actual definition. It was also implied in early briefings that Public Health had an automatic button that would let the UK’s vulnerable population know what to do all at the same time.

Letters have been received in drips and drabs. Some have received the official letter from Public Health, and others have had a letter from their GP.

Neither my boyfriend or I received one by the deadline, and the instructions in this case were to contact our GP. Our GP told us they knew nothing about it. I then rang the hospital department managing my care who said I was the highest risk possible.

Some departments over the country, including mine, sent out a generic letter to patients which asked us to measure our level of vulnerability using a table of categories. If we fit into certain categories, we were to shield for 12 weeks. The problem was that these categories were generally vague and unclear which made it impossible for people with comorbidities to work out how to protect themselves.

Black and white photo of someone wearing a mask.

It’s been really difficult

I’ve felt frightened, frustrated, grateful, lucky, and upset all at the same time.

I’ve been terrified of my boyfriend contracting the virus. But I’ve had more faith he would get through it than if I were to catch it.

Firstly, I have lung damage and live with asthma which makes a severe respiratory threat incredibly real. Secondly, I have a compromised immune system which can’t fight infection like a healthy person can. Also, I have read stories of people with historic lung problems being refused ventilators. It was not hard to imagine myself being in that position.

The wider impact

There were numerous stories of healthcare professionals having to choose who would qualify for a ventilator and who would not. It was heart-breaking to read. To imagine the pain that patients, families and doctors went through due to a complete lack of resources is inconceivable.

I have felt rage and frustration. It infuriates me when they say we have avoided a catastrophe, as if the UK does not have the second worst fatality rate in the world at the time of writing.

I feel devastated that so many people have lost their jobs and their lives.

If I could send one message to people now, it would be to please stay home. If you can go to the shops, go for walks or exercise outdoors, please do so carefully. Every time you join a group of people or break lockdown rules you are forcing vulnerable people to shield for longer. Not everyone has access to a garden, a job, an income or help.

How has lockdown been for you? Have you been able to access the support you need? What do you look forward to? Let us know in the comments below!

Comments

• Not
    Not Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    It has been hard. Hard to access care, hard to understand the technology for virutal visits, etc.
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    Definitely been challenging. No trips out. Lack of decent health care. 
  • serenk
    Not said:
    It has been hard. Hard to access care, hard to understand the technology for virutal visits, etc.
    Very true! I had a letter for a rheumatology appointment, and I emailed to say I wasn’t comfortable coming to the hospital. They told me it was over the phone, but my letter literally said to go to the hospital! So confusing. 
  • serenk
    Definitely been challenging. No trips out. Lack of decent health care. 
    100%. My legs have been hurting from not being able to walk around properly. 
  • christian96
    This is a longer response. Sorry about my previous reply it was very short. Yesterday morning I tried to call the local orthotics department. I was ultimately unsuccessful in doing so so I then decided to send the head of department a email instead with a photo later that afternoon and also submitted another referral online too. I’m hoping that they can call me back first thing tomorrow morning to confirm things. On another site, one afternoon several weeks earlier I read all about how people had all kinds of operations and appointments cancelled etc. That is scary isn't it? Tests that were scheduled just got cancelled suddenly. 

My husband has had a few non emergency appointments postponed due to the lockdown as well. His annual eye checkup was postponed. Many other people have had either a virtual or phone appointment in lieu of a proper face to face consultation at a hospital these days. One of my amazing doctors even called me in early April to apologise but his department had decided to cancel all booked appointments until further notice. My primary disability is open defect spina bifida, cannot remember my exact lesion level but it is mid lumbar I suspect. I also was born with clubbed feet as a result. Nothing too serious but I do have some care needs and can barely walk. A routine urodynamics test was cancelled, this was originally booked for last month but has been pushed back until early July now.
    I also had a cardiology appointment. 
  • serenk
     christian96 said:
    This is a longer response. Sorry about my previous reply it was very short. Yesterday morning I tried to call the local orthotics department. I was ultimately unsuccessful in doing so so I then decided to send the head of department a email instead with a photo later that afternoon and also submitted another referral online too. I’m hoping that they can call me back first thing tomorrow morning to confirm things. On another site, one afternoon several weeks earlier I read all about how people had all kinds of operations and appointments cancelled etc. That is scary isn't it? Tests that were scheduled just got cancelled suddenly. 

My husband has had a few non emergency appointments postponed due to the lockdown as well. His annual eye checkup was postponed. Many other people have had either a virtual or phone appointment in lieu of a proper face to face consultation at a hospital these days. One of my amazing doctors even called me in early April to apologise but his department had decided to cancel all booked appointments until further notice. My primary disability is open defect spina bifida, cannot remember my exact lesion level but it is mid lumbar I suspect. I also was born with clubbed feet as a result. Nothing too serious but I do have some care needs and can barely walk. A routine urodynamics test was cancelled, this was originally booked for last month but has been pushed back until early July now.
    I also had a cardiology appointment. 
    Hi @christian96,

No need to apologise! It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, I’m sorry to hear it.

Yes, I’ve heard lots of people have appointments, surgeries and procedures suddenly cancelled. It’s heartbreaking to think how big of an impact this has had on people who waited so long for those appointments in the first place.

I think the thing that scares me most is wondering whether my life would be considered valuable enough to save if it came to it. It’s a horrific trauma for everyone involved - the patient, the family, the medical staff, the friends. 

I really hope you get to have some contact with the department soon to reschedule your appointment! 
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    I just wanted to go out. A few shops have a one person from a household rule in, which is fine, but I like having my parents around incase I do something wrong. I might listen wrong and do something wrong. That's what's been really annoying.
  • serenk
    I just wanted to go out. A few shops have a one person from a household rule in, which is fine, but I like having my parents around incase I do something wrong. I might listen wrong and do something wrong. That's what's been really annoying.
    Thank you so much for your comment. That sounds really challenging. Is there anything in particular you worry about doing wrong? 
  • christian96
    Thanks. I luckily heard back from the orthotics team today. Appointment has been postponed but they will let me know more in due time. My yearly bladder health test is also booked for next Wednesday morning. I even chased up on my missed cardiology appointment. It has been rescheduled for August now. I finally made a much needed appointment to see my wonderful hairdresser again. And yes I fully concur with you. It was very painful to read, I teared up. But my fabulous Christian therapist has chatted with me via email and by phone each week to see if I am fine. There will definitely be a backlog of missed or cancelled appointments all over the country when life is back to normal. I wonder what will happen. Does not look good, does it? 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Lack of exercise is a worry.  It is a little hurtful to realise nobody knows disabled people exist!  Jolly advice is useless, when it  is to do this or that, invariably  requiring a set of perfectly standard knees, as minimum kit.
  • serenk
    Thanks. I luckily heard back from the orthotics team today. Appointment has been postponed but they will let me know more in due time. My yearly bladder health test is also booked for next Wednesday morning. I even chased up on my missed cardiology appointment. It has been rescheduled for August now. I finally made a much needed appointment to see my wonderful hairdresser again. And yes I fully concur with you. It was very painful to read, I teared up. But my fabulous Christian therapist has chatted with me via email and by phone each week to see if I am fine. There will definitely be a backlog of missed or cancelled appointments all over the country when life is back to normal. I wonder what will happen. Does not look good, does it? 
    It’s certainly going to be a challenging time for many. It’s great to hear you’ve had the support you need! Chasing up appointments and things can be exhausting, so kudos to you. 
  • serenk
    newborn said:
    Lack of exercise is a worry.  It is a little hurtful to realise nobody knows disabled people exist!  Jolly advice is useless, when it  is to do this or that, invariably  requiring a set of perfectly standard knees, as minimum kit.
    Unsolicited advice is the worst! It’s presumptuous and dismissive. I completely agree with your lack of exercise concern - I went for a tiny walk the last week (fully masked up) for the first time since March. My legs have only just stopped hurting. Even though I’ve been keeping up with yoga as much as I can, the deconditioning has been real!
  • christian96
    Since my last post, plans had to be changed. My orthotics appointment is next week but no date yet however. I need to chase that up. And my delayed cardiology appointment is mid July now. With regards to my rescheduled hairdressing appointment I have a date at long last finally. My husband's missed neurosurgery appointment is on Wednesday afternoon at two pm. He has a vp shunt that may need to be replaced again. 
  • serenk
    Since my last post, plans had to be changed. My orthotics appointment is next week but no date yet however. I need to chase that up. And my delayed cardiology appointment is mid July now. With regards to my rescheduled hairdressing appointment I have a date at long last finally. My husband's missed neurosurgery appointment is on Wednesday afternoon at two pm. He has a vp shunt that may need to be replaced again. 
    I'm really glad everything is slotting into place for you! It's nice to have dates in the diary. I really hope your husband is okay - how are you feeling about that? 
  • christian96
    Nervous but it has to be done @serenk! Keep him in your prayers. His operation has now been scheduled as he is a urgent case. But we will not know for sure until his test results come back. He went and had his yearly brain scan this afternoon. 
  • serenk
    @christian96 you will both be in my thoughts. If you ever need a chat, I'm always here to listen :) Sending you well wishes
  • MarkGibbons1
    MarkGibbons1 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Lock down has been hard on me especially on my mental health issues I've had a few psychotic episodes due to my paranoid schizophrenia. But have made the decision to not go out until the brand new year next year has I don't trust this government or there advisers. I am going to do this because I've now got used to shielding and don't think the time is right this year.
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    MarkGibbons1 Hi if you dont go out its possible to develop agoraphobia. I have had this condition off and on for years. I would suggest trying to get out for a walk otherwise you will become deficient in Vitamin D and just add more misery to your mental health and I'm sure you don't want that. All the best going forward.
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    It really has been no different for me, I shop online and I do not  go out, still don't, I am the sort of person that is content with my own company, and I have a garden where I grow my own veg, so quite self-sufficient really, it's all about routine, when you have one, the days just fly by  
  • MarkGibbons1
    MarkGibbons1 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Hi Wini1960,
    I'm terrified of leaving the house had to go for a blood test 3 weeks ago had a mask and gloves on. My anxiety was bad couldn't breathe with the mask on. So I will go out in the garden if it's nice but nowhere else until I feel safe. I understand your worry for me but if I know what I'm doing I'm fine but thank you

Brightness