Personal Debt — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Personal Debt

dkb123
dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
With the repayment holiday for credit cards and overdrafts coming to an end, and the forecast of mass unemployment after the furlough period ends, should we be campaigning for a different system of dealing with Debt Relief and Bankruptcy? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there are of course DRO for people in less than £21,000 of debt and bankruptcy laws are not as harsh as they used to be, but it should always be seen as a last resort, step change are great for anyone struggling with debt:
    https://www.stepchange.org
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• dkb123
    I thought the conditions of a DRO were the same as a Bankruptcy, only the DRO is £90 and the other is £650 so why is it the last resort?
  • woodbine
    DRO is simlar to bankruptcy but for lower amounts i.e under 21k and isn't suited for everyone, it's the last resort because there are other options e.g a DMP and if you are a homeowner you risk losing your home, if you are having financial problems its worth talking to stepchange before making any decisions.

• dkb123
    I don't have that problem it's over 25 years  since I found myself in that situation, but It changed my perspective about debt,
    I came to realise that money is only a commodity and most lenders have long since got their return on the investment before the loan comes to an end.or they claimed on their insurance to cover the loss.
     I was hoping to stimulate a discussion on a subject that a lot of people find shameful or an admission of failure when they hit financial problems 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dkb123, thank you for sharing this with us. Were there any elements in particular that you were wanting to discuss? :)
    Scope

• dkb123
    there is a lot of stress  and mental health problems linked to debt and societies attitude to it, there are also people around that profit off  and exploit the situation, and I wanted to know how people feel about vulnerability and self-worth, in modern times as opposed to what I think is sometimes victorian  a view, money, in my opinion, is just a commodity that is traded and it is the lack of knowledge that leads to the fear  
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's interesting. I imagine there is a lot of research out there on that! Hope you are doing well @dkb123
    Scope

• dkb123
    Why is basic finance  not taught in schools, the concept of  business insurance which pays off the debt and then  the creditors or banks bundle them together, and  sells it on for pence in the pound to collectors who rely on ignorance, that the money is no longer owed, and use unlawful bully tactics that reinforce the myth that  the debt is still in force 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Very true @dkb123. I don't know much about personal finance, and everything I do know has been self taught! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    edited August 2020
    There is far too much pressure on existing curiculam in schools to start adding more, in a perfect world kids would be taught more about money, but it's not a perfect world, most of us pick it up as we go along, I had my first bank loan for a car aged 19, my first mortgage at 21 my first credit card at 22, nobody taught us anything we just picked it up.

• dkb123
    I think lifeskills are far more important than half the subjects at school and  the of lack of knowledge about  finance has too many serious consequences to be picked up as you go along 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @dbk123 I entirely agree.  There has been a real push for money management to be added to the citizenship part of the National Curriculum in recent years which I think it a positive move.  In-fact, Martin Lewis is a big champion of it and recently co-funded the first-ever financial education textbooks >> https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/07/martin-lewis-financial-education-textbook-rolled-out-to-700-scho/

I know I could have done with this back in the day so lets hope it helps future generations.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • dkb123
    I would say he is one of the most helpful national figures of the last decade 
  • dkb123
    I must say that I am disappointed that this board is so inactive, the huge financial crisis that is going to hit us, is just weeks away, and the defaults for personal debt is going to be horrendous, the unemployment figures will be unprecedented,don't people see what's coming 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    That doesn't mean they have a question to ask, which is why a lot of people come on internet forums in the first place.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dkb123
    edited August 2020
    well I would disagree, forums are for comments and chat not just questions 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I was taught a little about finances when I was a young adult by my father. Then later I learned a bit more from the world. Surely parents can teach a little themselves as @woodbine says the curriculum is full as it is. 

Ive spent my whole life trying to pay outright for everything as I went along. I had to have a mortgage however and that turned very sour in the recession in 1989. Apart from that, though I’ve not had much, it was all paid for and as a consequence I am debt free. Of course I’m not immune to any huge financial crisis which may come but not many of us are and we are all pretty powerless to do much about it if the worst should happen. Let’s plan for the worst but hope for the best.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Yes but a lot of people don't think that way. Especially in this part of the forum as it's for questions regarding Universal Credit. We have a coffee lounge that a lot of people go to to talk about various things. Pop over and take a look. https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/coffee-lounge

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dkb123
    @leeCal, One of the old sayings is never a lender nor borrower be, which is nonsense, the world survives on debt and the economy would collapse without it, there used to be a well-known scam that added all your income up over your lifetime and said if to don't spend, you would be a millionaire in 5 years , because of compound interest, As anyone ever come across a compound interest account which paid the full rate, I think not, and although the bank rate is half a percentage, credit cards are charging 28% from the money that comes out of thin air  since it is only created from your signature  
  • Chieng47
    Chieng47 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    dkb123 said:
    Why is basic finance  not taught in schools, the concept of  business insurance which pays off the debt and then  the creditors or banks bundle them together, and  sells it on for pence in the pound to collectors who rely on ignorance, that the money is no longer owed, and use unlawful bully tactics that reinforce the myth that  the debt is still in force 
    Do you have a link to something that says that once a debt is sold that money is no longer owed?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.