Personal Debt - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Personal Debt

Options
2»

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Oh, Chieng47, could this really be true?
    I have a long-standing debt from around 20 years ago, which my bank sold on to a credit company. Although I'm only able to pay £1 per month, they are refusing to write off the debt, even though they know that I have been ill and disabled for a long time. This situation will not change. 
    This is of course very stressful for me and if there really is a legal way to get this debt written off, I would be most grateful. 
    Thank you. 
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Options
    Technically once the debt is sold to a third party , you have no contract with them and you should ask for proof of an assignment , which of course they will not have because these things are purchased in job lots for  pennies on the pound, so you write and offer a full and final settlement of £5 if they don't play ball go to the Citizen advice bureau who will help you make a complaint to the FCA regarding the companies disregard of the rules for forbearance, in your treatment , you can also force the company down the mediation route, but I am not a legal adviser 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.