Face to face consultations - recording your interview — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Face to face consultations - recording your interview

Shnagglepop
Shnagglepop Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited July 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am trying to help set up something to help people who wish to record their face to face interviews, i am aware that most interviews are currently taking place online or on the phone but i want to be set up and ready for when F2F becomes the norm again. I need to know what devices you are allowed to record on? I know it has to be cassette tape or CD but i need to know, can you record on two seperate devices or does it need to be a singular device that can record two tapes/CDs at the same time? Thankyou 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/418925/wca-audio-recording-policy-march_2015.pdf

Have a read of the above which covers it, note there is NO legal right to record the assessment, and request to do so are uncommon.
    Also NO assessments have been done online during the pandemic.
    Nice try though.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Shnagglepop
    Thankyou I'll have a read though that is about ESA , i tried calling the PIP line and I was told by them that currently all assessments are done by phone or over webcam, which is why i wrote that. I still plan to try to set something up so that people can borrow the recording devices if they want to. I think it will be helpful as i was unaware i could even record until after my assessment so i hope to help people if I can. 
  • johnnyy85
    johnnyy85 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    do you think recording puts pressure on the assesor ? 
  • Shnagglepop
    No I just think that having evidence if you need a mandatory reconsideration is a good idea. I have heard from many sources that their award improved due to recording their assessment.

I want to help other people to have a fighting chance during their MR, when they can't afford the tape recorders and tapes etc 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Having had mutliple ESA and PIP assessments i'd prefer to concentrate on filling out my form with all the information, than think about recording the assessment. It's bad enough just thinking about the assessment on the day without having to worrying about recording it, my stress levels would be through the roof and i'd be so flustered i'd forget what i want to say. So for me, no thanks, i wouldn't record the assessment.

Of course it's entirely up to the individual person whether they choose to record it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shnagglepop
    Exactly and their are people who would like it :) not like I can make em contact me xD if someone doesn't like the idea they won't search for it x
  • woodbine
    As @Username_removed points out a recording probably won't even get listened to during an MR, TBH i some what doubt that you have heard from "many sources" that awards improved when recorded, as I pointed out above recordings are uncommon. I'm sure your idea was meant for the best BUT it is i'm afraid probably a waste of your time.

• Shnagglepop
    I am a wheelchair userauser part of many communities online with other disabled people who have discussed the topic with me when I've asked the question. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    @Shnagglepop - It seems there is already a scheme in certain parts of England & Wales to lend appropriate equipment to record a PIP f2f assessment. See: https://dpac.uk.net/2019/10/put-pip-and-wca-assessments-on-the-record-a-call-to-action-ontherecord/  but I'm unsure how accurate this source is, or how old.
    But, as mentioned above, is this 'evidence' going to be helpful? As @woodbine also says, 'I'm sure your idea was meant for the best,' but whilst it may pick up on some 'inaccuracies' in the Health Care Professionals report, it may also pick up on an unfortunate inadequacy in the claimant's responses if they are unaware that PIP is about their functional ability, i.e. the functional effects their disability has in their activities of daily living, &/mobility, as detailed above.
    This seems the most appropriate advice to get across if you'd like to help a lot of people. As Mike [removed by moderator] says,
    'At all stages of the PIP process the key thing is not the HCP report but the level of detail and anecdote in the claim pack and the strength of supporting evidence and explanations.'

• woodbine
    I am a wheelchair userauser part of many communities online with other disabled people who have discussed the topic with me when I've asked the question. 
    Thats a bit like adverts you see on TV for shampoo where at the bottom of the screen it says 94% of woman agree it made their hair better read it carefully and it says 94% out of 32 surveyed, I can't repeat often enough that very few people have their assessments recorded usually as others have said because the HCP refuses, no amount of equipment will get over that hurdle.

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Please respect a poster's opinion, it isn't okay when someone is quite new to the forum to start disregarding their views and furthermore refer to television adverts and their surveys to somehow prove a point. Be kind.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Please use the 'Spam button appropriately. We all have different opinions and need to respect that, whether we agree or disagree. 

Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't see anything wrong with @woodbine's comment and i also don't understand why it's been marked as spam. I don't know why there's so many posts being marked as spam on the forum at the moment.

There's a huge difference between someone opinion and giving incorect advice/information..
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hello @Shnagglepop and a very warm welcome to the community.

While you'll have noticed there is some debate about the effectiveness of recording assessments it's understandable many people still want to record them and feel happier knowing it's being recorded. So it's very nice of you to be looking at ways to help people that wish to record them.

It's quite long but the DWP guidance on recording equipment can be found on DWP's PIP Assessment Guide - Part One - The Assessment Process (page 31)

I've not used them myself but I've seen this Cassette Player and Recorder recommended on the community quite regularly, but you'll need two which isn't always practical. A dual one may be better. 

Best of luck with your endeavour and please let us know how it goes. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Shnagglepop
    I've taken onboard everyone's comments but I will still be moving forward with the idea as I know there are people who would love something like this in place for them. Not every MR is the same and some will listen to the tapes. Not every person is the same, some want this sort of thing as an option.
    Even if I only help a small amount of people it will be worth it. And if I receive feedback that it's making things worse for people then I will re-evaluate.

But I do agree that noone should have pressed the spam button on someone's opinion when they're only trying to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    I’m pleased you’re going to continue @Shnagglepop

There is always a demand for help recording assessments. It would be worth ensuring anyone using it knows the pros and cons and is aware of how they’re allowed to use the recording (it’s in the guide I linked in my message above). 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Shnagglepop
    Thankyou Adrian I will have a look at those links today. I plan to make a website to go along with it and I will list the pros and cons on an information page. If anyone has anymore pros or cons I would like to hear them as it would be helpful to include both points of view so that people are making the decision with all of the information x
  • bubster20
    bubster20 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    edited July 2020
    hi @Shnagglepop, as someone who worked in the DWP for 25yrs (now medically retired and on the other side!!) I know that the DMs there had no facility to listen to any recordings that would have been submitted for MRs.  PIP DMs are the same, so from that point of view recording isn’t much help.  Facilities aside, the simple fact that, rightly or wrongly, they just don’t have time to listen to recordings of assessments has to be taken into account. 
    However, a higher number of customers than some may think did indeed wish to record their assessments....that said the number that actually were finally recorded was exceptionally low (for various reasons).  
    If the recording is simply to help the customer reconcile between what was actually said in assessment and what is in the written report, then fine it will do that but for MR purposes and DM listening to recordings that’s beyond unlikely I’m afraid.  Just wanted to reinforce that before anyone is lead to think recordings will sway decisions.   
    Hope that helps and good luck! 
  • woodbine
    All I would politely request is that whoever reported my post #1060 as spam unreport it as it really wasn't spam, BUT I won't lose any sleep over the issue

• woodbine
    Hi @bubster20 and welcome to scope hope you are well today? looks like we are in for some better weather for a few days.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.