(Carers Element) Universal Credit - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

(Carers Element) Universal Credit

Comments

• Connor_Delaney77
    Connor_Delaney77 Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Okay thank you very much 
  • Connor_Delaney77
    Is it possible it can be backdated same as how much I got backdated from Carer’s Allowance?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    How long have you been claiming UC?
    How long have you been claiming Carers allowance?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Connor_Delaney77
    Since January this year I’ve been on UC for and I’ve been claiming Carers allowance since 17/10/19 last year but didn’t get it back paid till May time this year but I’m entitled to May June July because I didn’t get carers element then  and august coming up

• poppy123456
    It's possible that it maybe backdated to January bgut it won't be the same amount as the carers allowance because it's less money per month. Carers element is £162.92 per month.

When your carers allowance was awarded i'm assuming you received backdated for this, which was backdated to 17/10/19 yes?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    yes I get the carers element of universal credit.  From what iI am seeing on my account is that there is the basic UC then the carers element and the carers allowance is taken off to give a monthly total.  I believe the UC is means tested but not the carers allowance like PIP. I do know for definite that UC is reduced by increments when you have savings of over £6000 but less than £1600. If you have over £1600 then you dont get UC at all. I have never had anything like that though in savings. 
  • Connor_Delaney77
    yeah I know it will be 162 a month, My letter said I was entitled to £66.15 a week from 17/02/2020 to 29/03/20 and 13/04/20 to 07/06/20 
  • poppy123456
    yeah I know it will be 162 a month, My letter said I was entitled to £66.15 a week from 17/02/2020 to 29/03/20 and 13/04/20 to 07/06/20 

If you received backdated money from the carers allowance then there will also be an overpayment of this from the time you started your UC claim. This is because carers allowance is deducted from your UC and you can't be paid it twice. If you haven't been contacted by UC for this then you will sometime in the future and it will ask you to repay it back from future UC payments. Just incase you weren't aware of that.
  • Connor_Delaney77
    Yeah I know , what’ do you mean about  overpayment of this? And I’m entitled to the carers elemnt im just waiting for decision maker to look at it and backdate it 
  • poppy123456
    Did you receive backdated money for the carers allowance claim?
  • Connor_Delaney77
    Yes I was entitled to  3 months
  • poppy123456
    That's what i thought. As you were claiming UC from January, then there will be an overpayment of the carers allowance. This is because you can't receive them both at the same time. As that was mostly likely not deducted from the UC then there will be an overpayment.
  • Connor_Delaney77
    So what’s that mean then? I won’t get the carers element  backdated is that what your saying?
  • Connor_Delaney77
    edited July 2020
    This is the letter to look at for better info?
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2020
    The letter you have here shows all your personal information, including your home address. This is a public forum which anyone can view the threads. For safety of our members we are not allowed to post personal information like this. I have reported this to admin who will hopefully remove your comment ASAP.

The reason you will have an overpayment for your UC is because of the backdated money you received for the carers allowance. This happens to everyone that claims carers allowance and UC at the same time and receives the backdated money. You can't claim the money twice and you will have already received it with the UC payments.

Yes, you'll still be enttiled to the carers element because they won't take the overpayment in full. They will ask you to pay it back from future UC payments. so smaller amounts each month.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @Connor_Delaney77, I've replaced your letter with one covering your personal information for your privacy. If you'd like me to remove the letter entirely please let me know.

Thanks for the report @poppy123456. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Connor_Delaney77
    Thanks I totally forgot, and yeah I know so when I receive my carers element they take small amounts off each month?
  • poppy123456
    They will contact you and you won't have to repay it all back at once.
  • Connor_Delaney77
    Thank you still waiting to hear back from decision maker ??‍♂️Hopefully not for long 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.