Hi I'm new here — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm new here

kimb87
kimb87 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2020 in Start here and say hello!
Hi my name is kimb87 I signed up awhile ago but didn't get round to introducing myself. I signed up hoping to get some advice

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kimb87

I'm glad you have gotten round to saying hello! It's fab to have you here.

How can we help you? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @kimb87! Was there anything specific you needed some advice about? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kimb87 Welcome to the community glad you have introduced yourself and joined us.

If you need advice just ask and someone will try and help you after all that is what we are here for
  • kimb87
    Thank you for replying ☺️ it's a lovely community you have here. I had brain surgery when I was a kid for my epilepsy but the side effects of that op is short term memory probs, rentaining info as well as recalling info. As for holding down a perm position you can forget that I haven't had one in yrs only temporary. I always go for temp to perm and I get the same response, the position has changed to temporary. I swear they see how I am and change their opinion of me. I guess I have a few questions. I don't have a brain injury but am I covered by the disability act as it's long term? Can I get any support from employers if I ever get hired..also do I mention it pre interview stage or afterwards. Sorry there's so many questions I would just like to have a permanent job and feel like this is hindering me. I'm also dyslexic so writing applications is a nightmare. Sorry for the long post! 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 
    The disability act is no longer in force, it is now the Equality Act and a disability is defined as a a physical or mental condition that has a substantial and long term impact on your 
    ability to do normal day to day activities.

If you fall into this then you are covered by the Act

Employers that display the two tick symbol are employers that demonstrate they have practices and procedures in place and welcome disabled people to apply. They also guarantee an interview if you meet the minimum criteria fir the job

If you disability is visible then it is worth declaring it  at or before interview and if asked on application then be honest about it

Most jobs are now initially temporary not just for the disabled it is just the way things have turned out in the job market.

For example I was  HR Manager for 30 years before being made redundant and I had a degree and lots more but I could only find temporary work

Hope it works out for you , you may want to look at our employment advice section
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kimb87 -  welcome to the community & thank you for joining. Here's a link to the info on Scope that Jane mentions: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/looking-for-work/
    Scope also offers help to disabled people looking for work, with their 'Support to Work' programme, etc. See: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/
    Let us know how you get on, & do chat here any time. :)
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kimb87

Good Afternoon & Welcome.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I have had a number of Brain Operations to date.

I have also got all of the same side effects as you have got currently.

No I haven’t been able to hold down any job’s either & I have had to take early retirement.

Please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with???

@steve51
  • kimb87
    Thank you for all of your comments and links ☺️,  I will definitely take a look at them. Steve51 thank you for sharing that with me, it doesn't make me feel alone. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kimb87

That’s my Pleasure ??????

“You will never be Alone anymore”

@steve51
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @kimb87! :)
    Scope

Brightness