Tell us what you think about the post reactions. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tell us what you think about the post reactions.

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2020 in Coffee lounge
Hi everyone

In response to @woodbine 's suggestion that we add a thank you reaction to posts, we wanted to ask your opinions about the other reactions too; so that's the like, awesome and insightful option that appear at the bottom of member's posts. 

Particularly we wondered if you could tell us:
  • How do you feel about these reactions and do you like to use them?
  • Would you like us to keep them all or do you think any are not needed?
  • Do you sometimes find you use the reactions instead of posting a response to say thank you or acknowledge someone's post?
  • Would you like to see us add a thank you reaction too?
Any feedback is welcome and although we might not be able to please everyone, this is your community and we want it to represent you  :)
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I use like and awesome mostly. I use like to say thank you but I suppose a separate button would be fine or indeed no thank you button would force someone to say thank you. Personally I don’t mind either way.

one thing I used to find a little upsetting is when you make an effort to post a reply and there are no signs that it’s been read at all. Bit like being ignored especially if you’ve put your heart and soul into it. But I don’t think that can really be dealt with unless you have an acknowledgement key! Too many keys I think! In fact if it was acknowledged and not liked how would that feel. ? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I think we could do with a 'lol' reaction for the more light-hearted threads, jokes etc...

I'd probably swap 'insightful' for 'thanks'.

And I'd like a 'dislike' reaction too.  I appreciate that could get misused but sometimes you read a post where someone has ended up in an awful situation, can't offer any advice but can't really hit 'like' either and then as above, it looks like no-one has read it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I have been on some forum sometime whereby they had like and dislike ie Thumbs up and thumbs down and when you get a thumbs down after making what you think was a perfectly reasonable post it can be really annoying, even lead to arguments. 
    In a way perhaps no comment is a bit like ‘least said, soonest mended.’
    tricky stuff.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Obviously i'm in favour of a "thank you" option, have no objection to the three existing ones either, sometimes a thank you button gives you the option to agree with what someone else has said so you don't have to repeat it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    leeCal said:
    @OverlyAnxious I have been on some forum sometime whereby they had like and dislike ie Thumbs up and thumbs down and when you get a thumbs down after making what you think was a perfectly reasonable post it can be really annoying, even lead to arguments. 
    In a way perhaps no comment is a bit like ‘least said, soonest mended.’
    tricky stuff.
    *Dislike*   ;)

Yeah, I can see how it could be mistreated.  I've been on a forum that had a 'sad face' button, maybe that would be more appropriate...  Though it doesn't really go with the positive vibe on here!  It is more tricky than it seems!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this! It's certainly something we will keep discussing as a team and take your view into account. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    hI i must admit I hardly use any of the buttons, just not my thing would rather reply and give my views but I understand people who do use them. Maybe I should start to use them more

I disagree with a dislike button it would cause too much controversy in my opinion as many people don't like the answer we give if it isn't what they were wanting to hear and it is very negative reaction when someone has gone to the trouble of posting
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I think the buttons are good. The “like” and “awesome” buttons overlap a bit and I tend to use them interchangeably.

I like the “insightful” button because sometimes I appreciate a post but I feel it would be inappropriate to say you like it. An example of this is if someone makes an interesting post about about how they are finding life hard - I think it would not be appropriate to say you like the post so the “insightful” button is quite useful.

I wouldn’t like a “dislike” button (or any negative button, however it is dressed up) as I feel people should be able to say what they think and share their opinions. The posts I enjoy reading most of all are the ones that go against the general consensus and give some insight into alternate views. I have found that forums with a dislike button encourage people to simply reproduce the same old posts as they are scared to say anything different!
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    And I'd like a 'dislike' reaction too.  I appreciate that could get misused but sometimes you read a post where someone has ended up in an awful situation, can't offer any advice but can't really hit 'like' either and then as above, it looks like no-one has read it.
    I see where you are coming from but this is actually where I think the “insightful” button is quite useful - when you want to acknowledge someone’s post but when saying you “like” it isn’t really appropriate.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for all your feedback! As mentioned above we will certainly take your comments into consideration with an eye on the future.

Your comments have been very awesome, insightful, and I like them :)
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    @Cher_Scope

How about removing awesome and changing it to “inspiring”?

I agree with many of the other posts about having a dislike button which I think could upset a lot of people especially if there are no comments to support the reason why the post has been disliked. I think a really positive aspect of this online community is that lots of people are very open about their situation and if people started to get lots of “dislikes” perhaps they would be reluctant to make any further posts. I would like to know why someone had disliked what I had said or I would be concerned that I had caused offence albeit not intentionally.

I think a thank you button would be okay just not a “dislike” or thumbs down button which I think might be divisive.

• RAwarrior
    @Cher_Scope
    @Username_removed
    Please could the bit about Facebook having access to my data be clarified? I am not on Facebook, I have never used it and I will never use it as I have an aversion to it so I wouldn’t want my data being available to Facebook.
    Many thanks ?
  • RAwarrior
    @Username_removed
    Thank you very much for your explanation?
  • OverlyAnxious
    I don't think there's any way to avoid your data being collected by various major companies nowadays...  Everything you do online is done via Google or Amazon even if you don't use Facebook...  Not to mention you're probably using an Apple device?  Or speaking to Alexa?  Shops even use proximity systems that use your phones location to target ads...  

I don't mind them collecting data...I just wish we could see our realistic profile...Google knows far more about me than any medical professional ever has!  :D
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @Cher_Scope I agree with @leeCal it would be nice to see an acknowledgement of any response by the original author. Probably that won't happen as in my opinion if people don't like the replies they just disappear. I use the insightful button when people have gone to a lot of trouble with their reply. 

• OverlyAnxious
    Thanks @Username_removed - that's the sort of post the insightful button is useful for! 

One benefit of being agoraphobic is that I never use any data...so there would be no cost difference to me.  Only use WiFi at home which is unlimited and 'free'.   (Of course, it's paid for within the broadband, but it's a flat rate regardless of how much I use).

I must admit, I do keep the WiFi switched off when it's not in use and keep location services switched off as well.  I'm also careful about my name or location appearing anywhere online, and don't post any pictures that could link me to an area etc.  I don't think I could be bothered to go to the full extent that you do to avoid data collection though!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Some really interesting points! Thanks everyone. :)
    Scope

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    @Cher_Scope
    @mikehughescq
    Please could the bit about Facebook having access to my data be clarified? I am not on Facebook, I have never used it and I will never use it as I have an aversion to it so I wouldn’t want my data being available to Facebook.
    Apologies @RAwarrior

I'm just returning after days off so have only just come across your points but be assured they are being taken seriously and I will speak about it with the team asap.  I can understand your concerns about privacy and although I'm no facebook expert I'll endeavour to see what we can do.  Thank you for all your feedback, it is appreciated.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm a bit ambivalent about this. When I joined Scope nearly a year ago, not having been on an internet forum before, I didn't understand these different 'like' buttons. I'm sure that will also be the the case with some of our new members.
    It's interesting to see different members perspective of these. I'm somewhat in agreement with mikehughes, but feel perhaps some people's use of the 'spam' button has been upsetting rather than dangerous.
    I would like the 'spam' button to be permanently removed, & a 'report' button would then be most appropriate.
    We have seen a spate of some people just liking their friends posts, but equally we see some members perhaps 'liking' the first reply they may see, then others give their considered help/opinion, but by then the original poster may have left.
    Once I sort of understood 'likes,' I did appreciate these more from members I've grown to respect, & I thought any 'insightful' comments were thinking a comment had indeed been insightful or thoughtful. I hadn't considered @66Mustang 's option, which indeed makes sense.
    In the absence of any 'likes,' a 'thank you', 'great advice or 'that's helpful' comment I find good, rather than someone resorting to perhaps a 'thank you' button.
    I also use DuckDuckgo for web searches with my web browser; it's safe & you get unbiased web searches, rather than what Google 'thinks' you might be searching for. I do use additional security measures too.
  • RAwarrior
    @Cher_Scope

Many thanks for your reply and there’s no need to apologise. I hope you had a nice few days off?

I do have a question though I don’t know if this is the correct thread or place to ask the question, however, as I am still new to the online community, please could you tell me how I bring a post that sounds a bit worrying to the attention of Scope? I don’t mean if I find something offensive but if I think that the person who has posted something may need professional help. 

Although I know a lot about my own conditions and I don’t mind giving information based upon what I have actually experienced, I would be reluctant to reply to a post where I might upset the person by not saying the right thing or being unsure about who to refer the person to. 

I do know quite a lot about signposting people to various organisations but I don’t think it’s my place to mention them in certain circumstances. 

I know that Scope monitors the contents of the posts, however, if I come across something which I think just doesn’t sound right (I am not trying to cause offence but I don’t know how else to say it) if that makes any sense, what do I do? 

Please accept my apologies in advance if I haven’t explained myself very well or if this is not the place to ask this question.

Sometimes I have a suggestion and I want to help but I think it would be better if it came from Scope. 

Many thanks ? 

Brightness