Funding for postgraduate studies. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Funding for postgraduate studies.

Options
Kaleemdean
Kaleemdean Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited June 2022 in Education
I need information about funding for my postgraduate course. Need assistance if any one can guide me please. Thanks.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @Kaleemdean :) 

The gov.uk website has some information about funding for postgraduate courses that you might find helpful. Is is it money to live off that you're worried about securing, or are you worried about paying the tuition fees?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Kaleemdean
    Options
    Thanks for your message, being a disabled person I am not earning money, therefore I am worried to pay the fee and other expenses if there are any. I have checked gov.website but couldn't find any information. Thanks.
  • Tori_Scope
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hi again @Kaleemdean.

I see. Hmm, alright. I don't know the answer so I've had a look online. These are the main sources of information I came across:
    From the looks of it, I reckon your best bet is going to be accessing the Disabled Students' Allowance, choosing a course that allows you to use a postgraduate student loan to cover the tuition fee cost, and looking to see whether there are any scholarships you might be able to apply for. 

I have friends who've found it difficult to fund their masters, so I know you're not the only one unfortunately. 

Did you do an undergraduate degree? If so, how did you fund that? 

I've also tagged your post as unanswered so that more of our members will be able to find your post.

• atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Kaleemdean

Can you be more specific about your current level of academic achievement and the specific topic you wish to study, at Masters or Postgraduate level.

These are important factor’s in gaining bursaries or financial support.

Just a brief outline will suffice, at this stage.

Stay kind and be safe.
  • Kaleemdean
    Options
    Thanks all for your kindness. I have international qualifications but have obtained NARIC UK comparability certificate of level 7 qualifications. My area of interest is English language and literature. Thanks.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    No problem @kaleemdean :) I think other than looking at the links I already sent in regards to funding for disabled students, I think your best best would be contacting the universities you're interested in directly to ask about potential funding options, such as scholarships. They will also be able to confirm the tuition fees, as it does vary.

Would you be attending as an international student? That might change things. 

• Kaleemdean
    Options
    Thanks for your kind message. Regarding my status, I am UK resident and will be considered home student. I have already contacted several universities but couldn't find any positive response. Thanks for thinking for me. Great help. Kaleem.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I see. Have you looked into how much student finance you might get @Kaleemdean? And keep ringing more universities if you can. A lot of them don't offer scholarships though, unfortunately, and they're often hard to secure as there are so few. Sorry I can't be of more help!

• Kaleemdean
    Options
    Thanks for your help. Yes I am trying at my level. I will update you all if there is any positive development. Meanwhile if you have any information please let me know. Thanks.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    If I come across anything useful I'll definitely send it your way @Kaleemdean :) Definitely let us know how it goes.

I'll also tag @Cher_Scope in here, as she's finishing her masters at the moment and might have some advice.

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Kaleemdean
                                 How are you? Have you looked on the Education and Learning page on the online community and read @Richard_Scope announcement near the top of the page relating to DSA, I was just wondering if this would be of any use to you? I hope my description of where to find it is clear. Thank you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Kaleemdean, Disability Rights UK have a student helpline which also might be useful. :)

Telephone: 0330 995 0414

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

email: students@disabilityrightsuk.org

Our advisors can advise and support disabled people who are studying or wish to study at any level on full-time or part-time education or training courses if

• the course is in England and
    • they are over 16

We can advise and support

• disabled students or
    • parents and/or carers of disabled students or
    • professionals working with disabled students

The student helpline is sponsored by the Snowdon Trust.

Calls are free from a landline but mobile providers may make a charge.

We also have a number of useful education related factsheets

Scope

• Kaleemdean
    Options
    Thanks for your message. I will contact them soon. Thanks for sending information.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Kaleemdean, have you managed to be in touch with them? :)
    Scope

• Kaleemdean
    Options
    My health is not allowing me to go for studies rather I am interested to find a home based job and will be looking for your advice. Thanks. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you've been able to adapt your plans @Kaleemdean,  even though it means you can't carry on looking for postgraduate studies. 

A lot of job search websites have filters you can select while searching, such as 'remote work' or 'work from home' which should help you to narrow your search.

Scope also have a number of employment services which you might be able to make use of, including Support to Work, so please do have a look and see if you are eligible for support.

If you need a hand with anything else, please do let me know :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Kaleemdean
    Options
    Thanks Alex. I do not know what to do and how to find a way. Along with my physical disability I have  mental health issues as several years ago I was diagnosed with PTSD. So, find it very hard to concentrate on anything and feel I do not have confidence to find any job whereas due to very limited finances I am desperately trying to find a way. Thanks for your response. Your more guidance would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Kaleemdean. Thanks for being brave and keeping us in the loop with what you are currently experiencing.

It sounds really difficult that you do not know what to do and how to find a way. What would your ideal next steps be?

We are here for you, listening to you and you don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Kaleemdean
    Options
    Thanks for for your kind response. Indeed you asked a very relevant question that what would ideal next steps be? This is the question I am struggling with. If I go back a decade ago, all my strengths are now weaknesses. I am hopeless with my physical capabilities. My scattered and ever roaming mind does not allow me to concentrate. As a desperate attempt I am trying to find a solution. I am taking tons of medication a day and keep counting my doses all the time. I have zero confidence to prove myself what I was several years ago. Thanks.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for explaining @Kaleemdean you've made how you're feeling easier to understand, so I'd say that good communication is certainly one of your strengths, you also write clearly, and are quite descriptive :)

Do you have anything you're really passionate about, that you might like to write about for a job perhaps?

It can be difficult when we compare what we are now to our past selves, it's a natural and human thing to do. But I would say there's no need to. We all change as we get older, and no one is judging you for being different to your past self. You don't need to prove anything to anyone, least of all yourself :)

Would things feel easier if you didn't have that pressure or expectation? Maybe it's something you can talk to a friend or loved one about, even your GP, as they may be able to help support you with talking therapies. 

I'm a little concerned that you say you're taking 'tons of medication a day and counting my doses all the time' is this something you've agreed with or discussed with your GP? Do you feel like you're getting enough support for your PTSD at the moment?

One of Scope's Employment Support Services might be able to help you to regain your confidence and build on the strengths that you have now, the counselling directory also has a section on career counselling that you may find helpful. 

Do have a look at those resources and keep us up to date with how you get on, I'm certain you have more strengths and more confidence than you realise- reaching out here for support is evidence of that :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness