Pip payment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip payment

mtag
mtag Community member Posts: 20 Connected
edited September 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all hope everyone is well

received my first PIP payment today after being granted PIP for the first time .

Should it have included a back payment to the original claim date ? On the letter it advised that I was eligible and that the payment will be £93.81 as it was granted part way through the month but did not mention a back payment for when the claim started .

ive Google’d and read on here that it should be just want to be sure and where do I go to ask for it ? Do I go directly to PIP or is it better through somewhere like welfare rights or citizens advice ?

thanks in advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Not sure what you mean by "part way through the month" PIP payment dates are different for everyone and it depends on when your claim started, as it's paid every 4 weeks not monthly.

Whether you're entitled to backdated money will depend on whether you transfer from DLA or whether this is your first claim. If it was your first claim and you didn't transfer from DLA then it's backdated to the date you first rang to start your claim providing you had the conditions for at least 3 months.

Backdated money is usually received before the first 4 weekly payment.

Contact DWP/PIP and they will tell you if you're owed any backdated money.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mtag
    edited August 2020
    Hi @poppy123456

I rang back in March to start the claim and get the forms sent out and got the decision letter dated 7th August stating I will be paid from the 17th August which will be paid on the 31st then 4 weekly after that and the amount was going to be £93.31 so I’m assuming it’s not a full month payment and what I meant part way through the month .

its first time PIP claim never had Dla or any other benefit previously 

ill contact them directly and enquire 

thanks 
  • poppy123456
    That doesn't sound right to be and it should have been backdated to the date you rang to start your claim, providing you had the conditions for at least 3 months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mtag
    Hi @poppy123456

had this condition since child hood been worse for past ten years or so

I’ll contact dwp and see what’s going on
  • poppy123456
    Do let us know the outcome.
  • mtag
    Hi @poppy123456

just an update as requested rang the PIP enquiry line and the lady did advised usually pay from the claim date but can’t see why it hasn’t been it may have been a typing error so they have left a message with the case worker who made the decision so just waiting for a call back .
    wonder if they try spin me some excuse and fob me off ha
  • poppy123456
    The only reason why they wouldn't backdate the money is if you they think you didn't have the conditions for at least 3 months. Other than that there's no reason why you shouldn't receive all the money that's owed to you.
  • mtag
    Thanks for the advice . At the time said I’ve had it since childhood and I’ve had 2 operations in the past 18 months to try relieve symptoms so must be a typo . Soon find out when they call back
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mtag :)

I'm glad you've been able to get some useful advice from @poppy123456. Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the PIP category  so that our members will be able to find it more easily
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I really hope this can be sorted out quickly @mtag
    Scope

• mtag
    Hi all , @poppy123456 @Chloe_Scope

Hope all is well . Just an update had a letter today confirming that I was entitled to the payments from the claim date of 20/2/2020 , it didn’t say how much the total was or when it’ll be paid but assuming it will be paid along with this months payment .

So all good :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing news @mtag! Thank you for updating us. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.