My goal today - Page 14 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My goal today

Comments

• Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    The bbc writing room allows new writers the opportunity to write a new spec script for a new television show idea every month so I might also give that a go

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s worth a try @Globster you never know until you’ve tried.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal
    I have never give up attitude to anything I do nowadays   

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you like going out for a drive @leeCal? It is one of my favourite things to do. Where do you drive? I like driving on the country lanes i.e. B roads and more minor roads :smiley:
  • leeCal
    @66Mustang yes I enjoy a drive and like you especially on B roads. I like it when you find a new road in an unfamiliar part of your area and just follow it , sometimes it’s surprising where it leads, plus it gives you alternative routes to take if you’re diverted or traffic snarled up on a major route. I’m close to Suffolk and there is some lovely countryside over that direction, hills and bakes cottages and ponds etc. I also like finding new churches to look inside, old ones I mean, I just like them as buildings. I must admit I also tend to read gravestones too, sometimes they are incredibly old and the styles are interesting.

are you in Yorkshire?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    I’m in the south east. A lot of my family comes from Yorkshire though and we visit there often. :) 

I agree with what you say about new roads and learning new alternative routes. Sometimes when there is road closed with a diversion I come up with a better way haha.

Suffolk sounds nice. Is it very similar to Norfolk? I have never been but go to Norfolk often because some of our family is from there as well.

Looking in churches sounds fun and I agree with you they are great buildings with interesting history. Something I like doing on my travels is looking in farm shops - you know the ones that sell fresh farm fruit and vegetables, cakes, beers and spirits etc. I always go in wanting to buy myself a treat but they are always so expensive and I often come out with nothing, but for some reason I always have to go in for a look!
  • leeCal
    edited September 2020
    Yes @66Mustang Suffolk is a very nice county with interesting landscape, I think Norfolk is flatter as is a lot of Essex. I had family from Norfolk too at one time.

Farm shops are interesting but as you say expensive. I used to love honey but it’s too dear to buy now. Luckily I have a friend who has two hives and he gave me some beautiful honey last year free! He’s a good sort actually, the kind of person who will do anything for you without a thought about money or effort.  

― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Nothing exciting planned for me, just done an on line shop

@leeCal an d @Globster your drives out sound really good , I have family in Norwich so have been to Norfolk a few times.

I really miss driving it is one of the things I find really hard not to do now with my disability it ids like some freedom and independance has been taken away
  • leeCal
    Can you get an adapted car @janer1967? Though motoring is expensive actually.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    @leeCal Unfortunately this isnt an option I cant see well enough to drive anymore
  • leeCal
    Oh sorry I forgot about that @janer1967

― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    And now I have ended my relationship I wont be able to get out and about now, oh well there are always taxis just means I cant get very far 
  • leeCal
    Well I expect your son will learn to drive though that won’t be for a while yet! 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    Yes hopefully but by then he probably wont want to go out with his mum lol

I am sure he will take me out just about 4 years to wait
  • 66Mustang
    I agree driving gives a lot of freedom and independence and it must be a difficult thing to give up.

And yes motoring is extremely expensive. If I didn’t have my Motability vehicle I don’t think I could afford to drive any more. Insurance alone on a basic car would be £1000 for me at 27, I dread to think what it would be for a 17 year old! Even with a Motability vehicle it’s expensive paying for the lease and the petrol but at least doable. It’s also nice to know that anything that happens like a puncture is covered under the scheme so there are no unexpected bills.

Sorry to hear you ended your relationship @janer1967 but it sounds like it was the best decision for both of you in the long run.
  • janer1967
    @66Mustang I agree motoring is a luxury now and dread when my son can drive hoe much it will be or insurance 

I must admit I am in two minds about the mobility scheme, I know all the extras are covered but the car is never yours and if you lose the award you lose the car. So  in some cases for it was the only fasir thing to dothose not needing lots of adaptions it can be better in the long run to use the PIP money to purchase one private, only my opinion

Yes I think it was for the best to end the romance must admit while it was a hard decision it is a huge relief off my shoulders and 
  • 66Mustang
    That is a fair point about the scheme. The one thing I am dreading is losing my award and so the car as it is my only car. However if I had my own private car I would be reliant on the PIP money to pay to run it so if I lost my award I would likely have to get rid of it anyway if that makes sense.
  • janer1967
    It does make some sense but you run the PIP car so you are already used to paying that money out. Also you dint have to have a new car all the time you could get a good second hand one that will last and maybe if you did the sums it would work out cheaper over the long run

But I agree the scheme is less hassle free 
  • 66Mustang
    True I did do the sums and the Motability was 1p a mile more expensive (I think £0.34 vs. £0.33 a mile) all in, but I got a brand new car so I decided it was worth it.

I think a big part of the reason for it being good for me is that the insurance is included. If I was older and insurance was cheaper it may have been cheaper for me to get my own car!
  • janer1967
    Yes a good point you make there about your age its just a concern that you pay all that money out and could lose the car but hopefully that wont be the case for you

Brightness