Weight loss thread - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Weight loss thread

Comments

• s999999999
    s999999999 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi 

I find it useful to track my calories 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I have had a bit of a “lapse” recently, I think that is the right word.

I am up to almost 2 stone lost now, which I am really pleased with, but am buying a few more snacks recently as I find the days really hard and feel like I need a reward or something to look forward to. As a result my weight hasn’t gone down for 4 weeks but hasn’t gone up either so not all bad news.

I still have a few stone to lose though ideally.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this @66Mustang. :)
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    Thank you for sharing this @66Mustang. :)
    Thanks for reading it Chloe :) I was hoping to find out if anyone else had a similar issue (feeling like the days are really long and hard and needing a reward at the end) and how they got around it, was there some other way of rewarding yourself, etc?
  • Chloe_Scope
    I get that @66Mustang, how have you been doing this week? 
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, thanks for asking, I weigh myself each Wednesday and yesterday I was down 1.8 pounds compared to the previous Wednesday.:smiley:

I did have some crisps yesterday though so I will need to do without snacks for a few days to make up for that! :D
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sounds like it's going well @66Mustang! :)
    Scope

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Would a nice low calorie or calorie-free drink do the trick as a treat at the end of the day perhaps @66Mustang
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for the suggestion @Tori_Scope. As a teenager I did actually used to have a milkshake most evenings while playing computer games :D and really enjoyed that so maybe I could go back to that although there are a few calories in milkshake. I wonder if there is such thing as a low calorie milkshake?
  • Tori_Scope
    Hmm, I don't know @66Mustang! I suppose maybe if you made your own with a low fact milk, or milk alternative, and didn't add any sugar or anything else calorific? I'm sure there are probably some recipes online.

I know it's a bit boring, but I like a good cup of sugar free squash! I try and avoid drinking it during the day, and then it feels more like a treat. I'm not sure the sweeteners are probably very good for you though...

• 66Mustang
    Hmm, I could blend up my own with fruit and milk in the blender! It wouldn’t be super low calorie but it would be nutritious at least.

I understand what you mean with the squash. I do similar with beer in that I have it on the weekend so it’s a treat. I used to drink it every day and it turned into just a drink which is not a good way to view it!
  • Tori_Scope
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, like a smoothie @66Mustang! I think that's a good idea. It's a healthy thing to work into your calorie count. It is better to eat fruit whole, but there's nothing wrong with having a bit blended up. 

Yeah it's so easy to get into that habit isn't it. I try and only buy it in small quantities to limit myself and make sure I have plenty of alcohol-free days. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Smoothies sound like a good idea @66Mustang! You can used tinned or frozen fruit if this is easier as it'll last for longer. :)
    Scope

• nutritionproject
    nutritionproject Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi,

If you are looking to lose weight you will have to follow a plan of some kind. Eating with no plan provides no feedback or knowledge of where you an improve your diet. Eating healthy (clean eating) doesn't necessarily equal weight loss. You can eat very healthy and be overweight, on the opposite side of this you can have a very poor diet and not gain weight.

The attached documents can be used to improve your eating habits. Weight loss isn't something you can do for 6 weeks and then revert to old eating habits. Excluding foods you love and enjoy will only make you want them more, the attachments advise on an eat more, eat some and eat less food groups.

The one thing that isn't mentioned very often when dealing with weight loss is hunger levels. If you are wanting to lose weight, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TOLERATE LOW LEVELS OF HUNGER every day, until you reach your goal. This is normal, but it is also a standard response from your body.

See this website for some healthy cooking ideas.
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/70478/www.thenutritionproject.co.uk
  • 66Mustang
    @nutritionproject thanks for the post :) I appreciate the information.

What you say about tolerating hunger is very true as I discovered however in my experience it only lasts a couple of weeks, until the body seems to get used to not eating as much. I don’t know if that is the same with everybody.
  • nutritionproject
    nutritionproject Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited May 2021
    @66Mustang

that's the exact cycle to follow until you hit your goal weight, just be certain to be patient. As a rough guide a loss of 0.5-1.5% of your body weight per week is more than enough. A sudden restriction of a large amount of calories will wreak havoc on hunger cues (making weight loss very hard).

these links will lead to the attachment i mentioned in my first post.
    (Removed by moderator, advertising)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @nutritionproject and welcome to the community. Just to let you know that we do not allow advertising on the community.
    Scope

• Maria4545
    Maria4545 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited May 2021
    This is the BEST Comment Section about weight loss, I read it practically every day. I am also happy that I was able to find (Removed by moderator, advertising) because it not only allowed me to lose weight, but also to maintain a great figure, I hope it will help others!

• larkintimj
    larkintimj Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    So Far since the beginning of the very first lockdown I have managed to loose 56lb. I have done nothing special I just know the only way to loose weight especially for those of us who are immobile is through a caloric deficit. So I signed up to the free version of the app my fitness pall and logged everything I was eating for 1 week which to my horror equated to an average of about 3700 calories a day. I am addicted to refined sugar so first thing I did was completely cut all refined sugar products from my diet (the withdrawal was horrendous) next I cut out all takeaways (which was almost as hard as the sugar) and bought in a lot of normal everyday food so apart from the refined sugar and takeaways. Now I pretty much eat what I want. I set my calorie intake initially at 2800 for 2 months then reduced it again the following month to 2500 and so on until I reached 1800 per day. I eat a lot of veg and stick to the protein, fats and carbs intake suggested by the app. I was 20st 7lb when I started and am now 15st 12lb. My target weight is anywhere between 13st 7lb and 14st. I've not felt as good as I do now in about 20 years.
  • 66Mustang
    @larkintimj

Well done, that’s an amazing achievement. It shows it can be done :smiley:

Brightness