How often do you check your emails? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How often do you check your emails?

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    I’ve had quite a few Emails over time which had an unsubscribe button which didn’t work. Very annoying. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    Yep, I use my Gmail account for anything I think I'll get spam for too @Ross_Scope. I actually got around to unsubscribing from a load of emails over the summer and it's really cleaned up my inboxes.

That's annoying @leeCal! I don't think I've ever experienced that. I find they do often make you jump through quite a few hoops before you can unsubscribe though.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    More than once an hour
    I don’t know why but I don’t tend to get much spam these days. I have a junk folder and even that hasn’t had a message in it for over a week. Spam used to be a big problem if I remember correctly. I do tend to stay on top of “unsubscribing” from any address I don’t want to get emails from though.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    Definitely @Tori_Scope , it rarely seems to be as simple as clicking unsubscribe these days. A few emails I've unsubscribed from have continued to send me emails, so it doesn't even work some of the time.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    There is a website called Unroll.Me which allows you to see all the emails you are subscribed to and easily unsubscribe. I only found this tool recently and it made it easier to get rid of all the unwanted emails!
    Scope

• Ross_Alumni
    A few times a day
    Thank you @Chloe_Scope, what a genius tool that is :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited October 2020
    A few times a day
    I'm a bit obsessive about checking mine, I always think there'll be an email telling me I've got a job or whatever, or won Millions on the Lottery!

I have 2 Gmail accounts and an Outlook address, which I use for Netflix and Xbox Live.

• 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    More than once an hour
    I have a really short email address which I am really proud of.

I like to think it’s a bit like car number plates where if you have a shorter one it’s worth more :D

It is just 4 letters - _ _ _ _ @ me.com
  • Ross_Alumni
    A few times a day
    Must be easy to fill in forms with that @66Mustang :) 

• 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    Yes that’s true :D
  • Ross_Alumni
    A few times a day
    Mine are all quite long, which isn't helpful :D 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Every hour
    I find myself checking mine around once an hour.  After watching 'The Social Dilemma' on Netflix I'm trying to curb this though as it revealed how we become conditioned to checking our online apps for a hit of dopamine!  Urk.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    @chiarieds I’m just wondering if you managed to set your devices up so that you get text messages on your larger device? If not, do you need any help?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    A few times a day
    Hi @66Mustang - strange to say I've just been looking at new keyboards......my son was just showing off his new one a few days, & oh, it's so lovely to type on. Yesterday he came around & put a picture of his keyboard up on my computer, telling me to treat myself. I can't get one exactly like his at the moment, so was having a look at others. There were ones that it showed you could connect your phone to it as you described. I don't really understand what bluetooth is all about, but they mentioned that.......is that what you meant?
  • 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    @chiarieds

I don’t think it’s Bluetooth. What I mean is that I currently have a laptop and an iPad as well as my phone. I have logged in to all three devices using the same account and now if I receive a text message on my phone, it comes up on my iPad and laptop and I can reply from those devices.

Thinking about it, it may be an Apple thing as I used my Apple account, but I’m sure there must be an alternative for Linux as well.

That said, if it is just the keyboard you are having trouble with then connecting a Bluetooth keyboard to your phone is definitely possible and may be a great idea.
  • 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    Sorry, I didn’t explain that Bluetooth is just a trademark for a short range wireless technology that is used for connecting devices together, like keyboards and phones!
  • chiarieds
    edited November 2020
    A few times a day
    Thank you for the explanation @66Mustang - I've checked the keyboard (like my son's) & it doesn't have that functionality.....drat, as it's nearly 2x more cost than those that do! However, it's such a dream to type on that I'll probably go ahead with it.
    I've had a look online (now I understand the concept a little better) & there are downloadable programmes that I should be able to use if they're compatible with the version of Linux I use. I think I may have to post on my Peppermint Linux forum to find out for sure.
    My android phone has also been rather poorly for a few months. Fortunately my son & daughter-in-law are looking into buying me a new one for Christmas. I'll look into how to access texts on my desktop PC in the meanwhile, as that would be way easier for me. Thank you very much for mentioning this, as I was unaware of the possibility.
  • Tori_Scope
    A few times a day
    I don't know if you use Whatsapp at all @chiarieds, but they have a 'Whatsapp web' function that is really easy to set up, too.

• chiarieds
    A few times a day
    Thank you @Tori_Scope - my daughter ensured I knew how to use Whatsapp when I was in hospital with a fractured hip 4 years ago. She said I might as well learn something new, as I had nothing better to do.....then complained I didn't send a photo of me smiling before surgery for this!
    As mentioned, my phone is rather poorly, & Whatsapp no longer works on my phone. My daughter-in-law checked yesterday, & thinks my phone is so out of date (all of 5 years old), that this may be why I can't access this.
    Hopefully I'll get there; I'm pretty good with computers, but absolute rubbish with mobile phones!

• Tori_Scope
    A few times a day
    Ahh I see @chiarieds. Sometimes apps will only work on newer versions of operating systems once they've updated, so if your phone can't update to a newer version that could definitely be the case. Yep, hopefully you'll get there! I'm sure you will.

Brightness