Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

How often do you check your emails?

66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,304 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Coffee lounge
I’m just wondering whether I am a bit obsessive, or just bored, checking mine every fifteen minutes!

How often do you check your emails? 19 votes

I don’t check, I let my device alert me
0%
More than once an hour
10%
Ami230166Mustang 2 votes
Every hour
15%
goodtimesjaner1967Cher_Scope 3 votes
A few times a day
52%
DocleeCaldeb74Chloe_Scopeearthchild23OverlyAnxiouschiariedsTori_ScopeRoss_Scope[Deleted User] 10 votes
Once a day
21%
easywoodbineTammyjane33Cintique 4 votes
Less often
0%

Replies

• OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,149 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    I check mine first thing in the morning, and then again at lunch time...  I don't check for the rest of the day as it's like Schrodinger's inbox, nothing bad can happen until I open it again!  Specifically have email notifications switched off on my phone lol.  

I hate checking emails, always get anxious before doing it (I guess you could say, overly anxious...  ;) ) and it's even worse if I've emailed someone as I'm then terrified about their reply!  :D   
  • Butler356Butler356 Member, Community champion Posts: 37 Courageous
    Yes I am guilty of checking emails through the day and must make an effort not to do this, reading the results. I can't help checking just in case someone is offering a fantastic job, or something good. 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,896 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    I check mine a few times a day, as I've persuaded my daughter to do this, rather than text, as I find it easier replying by email than using texts. Tho she often texts me to say she's sent an email! I dislike texting as I'm forever hitting the wrong letter, & don't have nearly as bad a problem using a keyboard. :)
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,304 Disability Gamechanger
    More than once an hour
    @OverlyAnxious what is it you get nervous about? Not asking because I find it odd but because I am possibly similar - I often send an email then worry about what the person will say in response to it!
    edited October 2020
    More than once an hour
    @Butler356 yes I understand you, I am anticipating a couple of “good” emails and get excited when I see I have a new message then see it’s just some marketing or something haha.
    More than once an hour
    @chiarieds depending on what devices you are running, you may be able to pair your phone with your computer/tablet, and then be able to send and receive text messages from the larger device. They will still go through the phone using your number, just the larger device acts as a kind of display.
    A few times a day
    Hi @66Mustang - Thank you, I didn't know that so will have a look into it. :)
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,430 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    A few times a day for me. I have five email addresses, so it's important I have the right notification set up and routine to keep on top of it all :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    More than once an hour
    @Ross_Scope wow that’s a lot of email addresses :o
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community champion Posts: 7,139 Disability Gamechanger
    More than once an hour
    90% of my emails are notifications from the community, I find it easier accessing the threads by email notifications so I can keep track... especially with how many boxes I ticked in the notification settings 😄 

I check several times an hour, keeps me occupied :)
    Community Champion
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
    More than once an hour
    Glad I’m not the only one @Ami2301
    A few times a day
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious what is it you get nervous about? Not asking because I find it odd but because I am possibly similar - I often send an email then worry about what the person will say in response to it!
    Yeah that's it.  I'm worried about upsetting someone, being a nuisance or causing confrontation.  But I also worry about 'positive' emails as well...for example, if someone accepts my offer on a car, then I'm obliged to go through the next anxiety-inducing steps of actually meeting them and changing the paperwork etc.  If I send an email, I usually don't look at the inbox again for the rest of the day...  :#
    More than once an hour
    66Mustang said:
    Yeah that's it.  I'm worried about upsetting someone, being a nuisance or causing confrontation.  But I also worry about 'positive' emails as well...for example, if someone accepts my offer on a car, then I'm obliged to go through the next anxiety-inducing steps of actually meeting them and changing the paperwork etc.  If I send an email, I usually don't look at the inbox again for the rest of the day...  :#
    Are you the same on forums as well?

It doesn’t happen on this forum as no one really gets confrontational on here, but sometimes on other forums I will post something and not want to go back to that thread to read the replies in case they are negative haha!
    A few times a day
    66Mustang said:
    66Mustang said:

It doesn’t happen on this forum as no one really gets confrontational on here, but sometimes on other forums I will post something and not want to go back to that thread to read the replies in case they are negative haha!
    Yep, lol. 

I try not to make any controversial posts but sometimes things get taken the wrong way.  I have been known to leave forums for weeks or months after accidentally upsetting someone!  I don't post anything at all on social media either.  Tbh I don't really even check Facebook any more as even reading other peoples confrontations trigger me!  
    edited October 2020
    More than once an hour
    66Mustang said:
    66Mustang said:

Yep, lol. 

I try not to make any controversial posts but sometimes things get taken the wrong way.  I have been known to leave forums for weeks or months after accidentally upsetting someone!  I don't post anything at all on social media either.  Tbh I don't really even check Facebook any more as even reading other peoples confrontations trigger me!  
    Same here, I left a forum for good after accidentally upsetting an established member. (To be honest what I said was silly but they could have seen my point.) Also same about other peoples confrontations haha.

In real life I am known as the neutral person and family members always come to me to “moderate” their arguments as they know I never take sides haha.
    A few times a day
    Yeah it is quite a few email addresses @66Mustang :D 

One day a long time ago I decided to create multiple so I could divide my interests between each email address, as a way of filtering my messages. Works pretty well.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    More than once an hour
    That’s actually a really good idea. I have heard of people having an email address that they give to businesses to keep marketing off their main address but never thought of splitting your interests between addresses. :)
    A few times a day
    Yeah, it really helps me keep track of everything @66Mustang, I would definitely recommend it. Only downside is remembering all the passwords :) 

• Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 3,210 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    I 100% recommend having a 'spam' email address @66Mustang @Ross_Scope! It was a life-changer when I made mine. I have 3 personal emails that I actually use.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    A few times a day
    I don't tend to get much spam @Tori_Scope, any website that normally sends spam I sign up to with my Gmail account, which then normally sticks everything in the promotions category, which I never check.

With anything else, I periodically go through my emails and hit the unsubscribe button at the bottom of anything I don't like receiving. 

• leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,011 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    I’ve had quite a few Emails over time which had an unsubscribe button which didn’t work. Very annoying. 
    A few times a day
    Yep, I use my Gmail account for anything I think I'll get spam for too @Ross_Scope. I actually got around to unsubscribing from a load of emails over the summer and it's really cleaned up my inboxes.

That's annoying @leeCal! I don't think I've ever experienced that. I find they do often make you jump through quite a few hoops before you can unsubscribe though.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    edited October 2020
    More than once an hour
    I don’t know why but I don’t tend to get much spam these days. I have a junk folder and even that hasn’t had a message in it for over a week. Spam used to be a big problem if I remember correctly. I do tend to stay on top of “unsubscribing” from any address I don’t want to get emails from though.
    A few times a day
    Definitely @Tori_Scope , it rarely seems to be as simple as clicking unsubscribe these days. A few emails I've unsubscribed from have continued to send me emails, so it doesn't even work some of the time.

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    There is a website called Unroll.Me which allows you to see all the emails you are subscribed to and easily unsubscribe. I only found this tool recently and it made it easier to get rid of all the unwanted emails!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    A few times a day
    Thank you @Chloe_Scope, what a genius tool that is :) 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    edited October 2020
    A few times a day
    I'm a bit obsessive about checking mine, I always think there'll be an email telling me I've got a job or whatever, or won Millions on the Lottery!

I have 2 Gmail accounts and an Outlook address, which I use for Netflix and Xbox Live.

edited October 2020
    More than once an hour
    I have a really short email address which I am really proud of.

I like to think it’s a bit like car number plates where if you have a shorter one it’s worth more :D

It is just 4 letters - _ _ _ _ @ me.com
    A few times a day
    Must be easy to fill in forms with that @66Mustang :) 

More than once an hour
    Yes that’s true :D
    A few times a day
    Mine are all quite long, which isn't helpful :D 

• Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,715 Disability Gamechanger
    Every hour
    I find myself checking mine around once an hour.  After watching 'The Social Dilemma' on Netflix I'm trying to curb this though as it revealed how we become conditioned to checking our online apps for a hit of dopamine!  Urk.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

More than once an hour
    @chiarieds I’m just wondering if you managed to set your devices up so that you get text messages on your larger device? If not, do you need any help?
    edited November 2020
    A few times a day
    Hi @66Mustang - strange to say I've just been looking at new keyboards......my son was just showing off his new one a few days, & oh, it's so lovely to type on. Yesterday he came around & put a picture of his keyboard up on my computer, telling me to treat myself. I can't get one exactly like his at the moment, so was having a look at others. There were ones that it showed you could connect your phone to it as you described. I don't really understand what bluetooth is all about, but they mentioned that.......is that what you meant?
    More than once an hour
    @chiarieds

I don’t think it’s Bluetooth. What I mean is that I currently have a laptop and an iPad as well as my phone. I have logged in to all three devices using the same account and now if I receive a text message on my phone, it comes up on my iPad and laptop and I can reply from those devices.

Thinking about it, it may be an Apple thing as I used my Apple account, but I’m sure there must be an alternative for Linux as well.

That said, if it is just the keyboard you are having trouble with then connecting a Bluetooth keyboard to your phone is definitely possible and may be a great idea.
    More than once an hour
    Sorry, I didn’t explain that Bluetooth is just a trademark for a short range wireless technology that is used for connecting devices together, like keyboards and phones!
    edited November 2020
    A few times a day
    Thank you for the explanation @66Mustang - I've checked the keyboard (like my son's) & it doesn't have that functionality.....drat, as it's nearly 2x more cost than those that do! However, it's such a dream to type on that I'll probably go ahead with it.
    I've had a look online (now I understand the concept a little better) & there are downloadable programmes that I should be able to use if they're compatible with the version of Linux I use. I think I may have to post on my Peppermint Linux forum to find out for sure.
    My android phone has also been rather poorly for a few months. Fortunately my son & daughter-in-law are looking into buying me a new one for Christmas. I'll look into how to access texts on my desktop PC in the meanwhile, as that would be way easier for me. Thank you very much for mentioning this, as I was unaware of the possibility.
    A few times a day
    I don't know if you use Whatsapp at all @chiarieds, but they have a 'Whatsapp web' function that is really easy to set up, too.

A few times a day
    Thank you @Tori_Scope - my daughter ensured I knew how to use Whatsapp when I was in hospital with a fractured hip 4 years ago. She said I might as well learn something new, as I had nothing better to do.....then complained I didn't send a photo of me smiling before surgery for this!
    As mentioned, my phone is rather poorly, & Whatsapp no longer works on my phone. My daughter-in-law checked yesterday, & thinks my phone is so out of date (all of 5 years old), that this may be why I can't access this.
    Hopefully I'll get there; I'm pretty good with computers, but absolute rubbish with mobile phones!

A few times a day
    Ahh I see @chiarieds. Sometimes apps will only work on newer versions of operating systems once they've updated, so if your phone can't update to a newer version that could definitely be the case. Yep, hopefully you'll get there! I'm sure you will.

A few times a day
    That's it @Tori_Scope - my daughter-in-law thinks my phone can't update. She's good with phones; my son with computer hardware problems; myself with software problems. Between us all we are usually able to help each other! :)
    A few times a day
    Teamwork makes the dream work as they say @chiarieds! It's great that you're all able to help each other out :) 

More than once an hour
    I know phones go out of date quicker than milk but I am surprised that a 5 year old phone is no longer able to update! A new one is a very nice Christmas present though :)
  • Tammyjane33Tammyjane33 Member, Community champion Posts: 650 Pioneering
    Once a day
    I may need to check them more for notifications 😁
Sign in or join us to comment.