Christmas Traditions - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas Traditions

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang yes I agree 
    Aldi have been doing a cheaper version of the Lego ones the last few years and also the alcohol ones 

Will be checking them out when I go shopping and they go on sale 

Aldi really step up their range at christmas well worth a look 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't know Aldi did advent calendars but definitely agree on their food, they have a great range of Christmas food and I think it is good quality and low price.

Lidl is good as well :)
  • 66Mustang
    Has anybody purchased any presents yet? :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I have bought one present, a light-up clementine gin liquor from M&S for my old boss / now friend  :)  Hoping to get a few more knocked off the list this month.  

I always get an advent calendar too because quite frankly, you are never too old!! Again, I'm a sucker for an M&S kids one.  Their chocolate is delicious.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    I have got quite a few mainly for my son , I dont know what tyo get everyone else and also dont know if will get to see family so debating whether to just get vouchers so they can be posted

Not a fan of giving voucher as I think it is the thought you put into the gift that counts and also seeing their reaction when they open the present. Bur this year will be a lot different 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited October 2020
    I've already preordered my main gift for this year, Xbox Series S to come on November 10th, debating whether to set it up there and then when it comes or put it away for a month till Christmas.

Sadly we lost my Nan just over 4 years ago to Alzheimer's, but at Christmas before, they'd come to us for Christmas Day meal and we'd go to them Boxing night for a meal.

We'll still probably do that this year, uwell we would if not for the fact we're from seperate Households and under Tier 3 lockdown we're not allowed to mix, even though my Uncle's in Mum's "dsupport bubble" as he's her Brother, the man was 80 a week last Friday ago.

• 66Mustang
    @MrAllen1976 I’m sorry for your loss.

An XBOX sounds like a pretty good present. I hope you enjoy it. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Ahh I see @leeCal. That sounds quite nice actually! 

We're in a similar-ish position of some family members living with others, but others being alone. I'm hoping at least one of my brothers and I will be allowed to go to my Dad's so that the three of us aren't alone, assuming that my housemates make it home. I've just moved up to tier 3 though :worried: It'll be what it'll be.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger

We'll still probably do that this year, uwell we would if not for the fact we're from seperate Households and under Tier 3 lockdown we're not allowed to mix, even though my Uncle's in Mum's "dsupport bubble" as he's her Brother, the man was 80 a week last Friday ago.

Support bubbles are outside of the tier system currently.  (Worth double checking in case they change it!)  So your Mum and Uncle can still meet if they want.  Of course, you can't/shouldn't have a full family gathering under tier 3 restrictions though.
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited October 2020
    I haven't bought any presents yet...  Tbh I have no idea what to buy anyone.  It's hard enough in normal years but I really don't have a clue this year.  I don't even know if I'll be able to physically meet a couple of relatives for a gift handover and don't want to go into a post office to post any parcels (cards can go in a post box).  I was hoping we could give it a miss this year but after suggesting that to my Mum and Nan it didn't go down well with either of them lol...  

I'm not a fan of Christmas myself - for those of us that aren't religious it's just all about people, food and change...my three worst nightmares!  :D  I don't put up decorations or buy an advent calendar and I only send cards to a few family members that I'm obliged to send to.   

I don't even like receiving cards and gifts due to the potential contaminants that are brought into my home on them...  Of course I'm grateful for them, but I find Christmas morning really stressful with decontaminating each item and washing hands in between each one, I'm worn out and my hands are wrecked before dinner time.  That can only be worse this year with the threat of Covid as well as the usual threats of flu and noro.  I do try to do myself something akin to a 'proper' Christmas dinner...pre-cooked turkey slices, pre-cooked pigs in blankets, frozen roasts, frozen parsnips, frozen veg...but that's been hit and miss in previous years, last year was a definite miss.  Wasn't sure whether to bother or not this year after that but I know relatives will ask I have so have to make some sort of effort lol.  

Hmm, that was a more depressing post than I was aiming for...there must be something I like about Christmas...  I do like Die Hard 2...technically that's set at Christmas...  :D
  • Tori_Scope
    edited October 2020
    Christmas isn't for everyone @OverlyAnxious, but I can imagine it's difficult when you feel pressure to get into the Christmassy mood or make some plans. Do you have a favourite dinner that you could make instead? 

In terms of sending the presents, could you order presents online to their addresses instead? That would remove the need to go to a post office or meet anyone in person. 

The debate around whether Die Hard is a Christmas film is very controversial- be careful! :D 

• janer1967
    That is a good idea @Tori_Scope to get parcels delivered to their own address

Im not into cards myself either but I do like to open presents with the family so I can see their reaction to their gifts, I always put a lot of thought int what I buy thrm
  • Tori_Scope
    edited October 2020
    That's what I usually do for birthdays and the parent I'm not seeing at Christmas @janer1967, it's just a bit easier. Some places also offer a gift wrapping service which can also be handy.

Seeing people's faces is the best bit! Although we usually know what we're getting from each other nowadays anyway :D 

• 66Mustang
    @janer1967 I totally understand what you are saying. I also put a lot of thought into gifts and really enjoy watching people opening them. I actually prefer watching people opening their gifts from me than opening my own gifts from other people. When I was living at home rent free and just started receiving benefits and had a back pay I spent a load of money on Christmas and birthdays etc. and made everyone happy. I now have rent to pay and a car so can’t afford to do that anymore but I hope I can get a decent job one day to allow me to do it again. I don’t spend much on the gifts these days I still put a lot of thought into them and try to get something unique but useful.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Christmas isn't for everyone @OverlyAnxious, but I can imagine it's difficult when you feel pressure to get into the Christmassy mood or make some plans. Do you have a favourite dinner that you could make instead? 

In terms of sending the presents, could you order presents online to their addresses instead? That would remove the need to go to a post office or meet anyone in person. 

The debate around whether Die Hard is a Christmas film is very controversial- be careful! :D 
    Food and me don't get on at all so I don't have a favourite dinner.  I'm just waiting for the advance in medical technology that allows us to stop having to eat daily...  :D  Seriously though, I had really hoped to be in a different position with food this year but due largely to Covid and partly to the fact that no single service seems to know where to start with my problems, I'm at the worst this year than I've ever been despite making a proper effort to get some help.  

Ordering presents online for direct delivery sounds like a good idea but I've done that for a couple of birthdays this year and neither were 100% successful!  One got damaged in transit, and although it was replaced, was a bit disappointing.  The other was meant to be 'letterbox sized' for an 88 year old relative...apparently it wasn't letterbox sized and was quite awkward so she had to answer the door and let the postman bring it into her property which isn't ideal.  So I'm trying to think of things that are unbreakable and are letterbox sized...  Trouble is, my relatives are all quite boring, me included!  We don't really have 'hobbies' that can inspire thoughtful gifts...  :#
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I intend on getting almost all my presents online this year too.  I wonder if between us we could put together a list of 'different' online shops to get gifts from.  I'll start having a think!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    @Cher_Scope I think with the pending announcement from the PM we will all be shopping online this year 

Shops I have used before 
    For gifts 

Debenhams 
    River island 
    Next 
    Amazon 
    Boots 
    Mark's and Spencer's 
    Smyths toys 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Yep...with all non-essential shops closed for the next month in England the courier companies will be busy!!

Amazon offers direct delivery to another address so that's what I've used so far.  (Plus I've got a £5 voucher for doing a survey last month that I haven't used yet!)

I used Bloom & Wild for their 'letterbox flowers' which worked out very well with the discount code at the time.  As mentioned in the earlier post, they didn't seem to fit in the letterbox though which kind of defeated the purpose.  I'm told they lasted over 3 weeks!

Also for anyone that isn't part of a cashback website, it's definitely worth signing up if you buy a lot of things online.  I have a Topcashback account myself so if anyone wants to join up, message me on here and I'll send you a sign up code which will give up both a small bonus.  :)

• 66Mustang
    @OverlyAnxious I have a Topcashback account too as it seems really good but they keep sending me offers that when clicked on say they are only available to new customers. Quite annoying :(
  • OverlyAnxious
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious I have a Topcashback account too as it seems really good but they keep sending me offers that when clicked on say they are only available to new customers. Quite annoying :(
    Yeah it is really good..just checked and I've had over £500 back in 5 years!  I barely buy anything either, most of that is from utilities like broadband and insurance!

Seems a bit weird they send existing customers offers that they can't use!  I don't subscribe to emails myself as I won't be drawn in by offers - I only use the site when I would've bought something anyway.  :)

Brightness