Pip and casual work advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and casual work advice please

Options
cupcake88
cupcake88 Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
Hi every one I’m looking for some advice @poppy123456 and who ever else has any advice . I was just offered a casual cleaning job that’s near my home but this is doing bank work so 3 to 8 hours here and there could be even 3 hours a month it’s just a start to get me back working or at least to try that this employer seems really nice and knows I’ll disabled . 

Now of course I don’t want to loose my pip I know you don’t have to tell them your working but they will know via the tax office and I don’t want them thinking oh she’s back at work she’s better and stop my pip .

I still struggle day to day my points I scored still stand . My medication has gone up so I feel bit more better that I can do this work as it’s hardly any hours but I was just worried it will flash up and there like for example cupcake gets pip but she’s now working let’s stop her pip and re assess her As I rely on my pip . Is  there a chance that could happen they could just stop my pip because when I had my assessment I explained I used to do the odd bit of cleaning but I wasn’t doing any work at the time of assessment . 

Some advice would be appreciated I do want to do this job as it’s little work but not if there’s a chance my pip will be stopped advice please XX 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A lot of people work and claim PIP some work full time, as long as what you are doing doesn't contradict what you have told PIP you can't do then there will be no problem.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Agree totally with @woodbine.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cupcake88
    Options
    Thanks @woodbine and @poppy123456 yeh I understand that but soon as they see your working how do they know what contradicts with what you told them that’s what I mean will they contact you to ask and stop your pip until they speak to you ? 

I have been really ill these last few weeks on and off my nurse things it’s a bad idea for me to even work for 5 mins I’s what she said . I’m good at cleaning and I feel like I’ll be ok to do a casual job but my nurse and partner disagree I just want my independence back abit . 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's for you to work out yourself whether the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP. Here's an example for you and please remember it's just an example because i have no idea exactly how your affected by your conditions.

If you said you're unable to walk more than 20 metres and you work in a supermarket, walking around the shop for the whole shift a few times a week, then this can be seen a contradiction.

Good luck with the job if you decide to decide to go ahead with it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cupcake88
    Options
    I was just worried they will see that your working and they will just stop your pip I don’t think any thing has changed or I have any thing to tell pip . 

I prob won’t even start the job or stick at it with my illness but I wad wondering do they just see that your working and just send you a letter or what happens 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As has been advised, you can work and claim PIP, lots of people do. They won't just send you a letter and stop anyone's PIP if they work.
  • cupcake88
    Options
    I looked threw my report and nothing I said would affect me doing a little cleaning job , I do decide to do it do I need to call the dwp and let them know and explain how it doesn’t affect what I told them because I wouldn’t want them to see that I’m working assume I’m better then stop my pip because I’m sure they can do that 

im always in a hurry to try and get better maybe I always do things to soon 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You don't need to ring DWP to tell them that you're working because you can claim PIP and work.
  • cupcake88
    Options
    Thanks poppy I just don’t want to break any rules you know what I’m like I worry and it spirals I just got off the phone to my nurse and she Strongly advises against working 
  • cupcake88
    Options
    @Username_removed I always cleaned at home over the Top cleaning at times . When my health was at its worst I don’t always change my clothes and forget to bath embarrassed to say . 

I had a phone call from the manager again and asked me if I would still be a bank cleaner for them she said that her daughter has bi polar and has thrived being back at work . 

She said they are prepared to support me she said because I’m bank my shifts will be little and some times shifts  . 

She has asked me to go in tomorrow to speak to them they seem like there prepared to Make reasonable adjustments I know what I’m like tho I think things are a good idea but being back at a job would be a different story . My disability has not changed . I was having a lot of good days then that stopped I became very suicidal a couple of weeks ago and then the last few days I feel positive . 

I became mentally ill due to a abusive partner I suffered horrific trauma . I feel that he’s turned me into some one who can not longer look after them selves it bothers me that I have to rely on others so much . I so badly want to get back to work have tried and failed . 

This place seems nice and I really want to try especially with lock down approaching I felt so down the last lock down and it made me very ill . 

I don’t want to call the dwp as nothing has changed I’m still I’ll but I will be trying this 3 hour cleaning job tomorrow that will be like once or twice a month . 

Will I have to let the dwp know that I’m going to try this job tomorrow ? 

My nurse and my partner think I shouldn’t be attempting work  but I want to try . My abuser took so much from me and I want to take some of that control back . 

• cupcake88
    Options
    I’m still debating even starting the job my partner and nurse think it’s a bad idea . But I just want to try it 
  • cupcake88
    Options
    I’m not sure who I’m kidding no way I can go back to work I’m useless and can’t even go out most days I just feel like whats the point being alive most days . 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Options
    You don't need to tell the DWP for PIP.  You would need to if you were on ESA or UC but I don't think you are from memory?  Absolute worst case scenario would be that some jealous neighbour or colleague reports you and you'd get investigated.  But that could happen anyway just from them seeing you outside and 'looking ok' for example...  Benefits are never totally secure and without risk.

Regarding the job itself, only you know what's best for you...  Other people will rightly want to protect you and stop you risking something that could go badly but at the end of the day it's your choice.  Personally, I don't think you've got anything to lose by seeing them tomorrow or having a trial.  If it's not for you, even with the support and adaptions, then you can leave but at least you'll know.  If you don't try it you'll spend weeks wondering whether it would have been ok or not.  For what it's worth, I briefly worked in a small supermarket...as you know I'm agoraphobic and suffer with OCD, SA, GAD etc as well, I worked alongside colleagues with depression, anxiety, ASD and bi-polar...honestly it was more like a mental health support group than a workplace! :D  The biggest mistake I made there was not disclosing my issues even after seeing everyone elses...as the employer already knows about yours and is willing to adapt, I'd say that's a better starting point.
  • cupcake88
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious thank you my mood constantly changes I think the fact the world keeps changing is not helping . 

I’m having quite bad time with my mental illness . This lady just seems really nice and supportive she has said I’m not tied to any set hours which is what I like . 

I was very honest with my illnesses even told her that I hear voices and she seemed like she wanted to help me get back into work slowly like I said her daughter has bi polar so that’s prob why she’s so understanding she knows the struggles you face with mental illness . 

What I was worried bout was that I flag up on the dwp system for working and they don’t even ask me me bout it and just stop my pip .

no I don’t claim any thing else just pip . I have been truthful with pip about all my struggles , my care I’m getting my meds ect . theres nothing I have said to them that isn’t the truth . All tho I didn’t let them know bout a recent overdose I took as I didn’t see why they would need to know that and my meds have got up . 

Oh that’s good do you still have a job ? How did you find working and being around other people with your anxiety ? I’m so worried I’ll start getting panicked or even worse I start talking to my self . 

My nurse and my partner think i should stay at home and rest but I don’t rest at home I’m in a panic or I’m sleeping and feeling horrible. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    cupcake88 said:

What I was worried bout was that I flag up on the dwp system for working and they don’t even ask me me bout it and just stop my pip . 

Oh that’s good do you still have a job ? How did you find working and being around other people with your anxiety ? I’m so worried I’ll start getting panicked or even worse I start talking to my self . 

You really don't need to worry about that.  As others have said, many people do work and receive PIP.  Even on their own website/letters they don't list starting work as a change of circumstance that needs to be reported.  It would only be questioned if someone reports you.

No, sadly I only lasted about 9 months there and have never had another 'proper' job since...I couldn't cope mentally or physically and left on poor terms in the end.  If I had explained that I had health issues I might have lasted longer as it was the pressured, entrapped till work that kept triggering panic and IBS attacks, if I'd been allowed to continue with just shelf filling and no till work I could've coped better. 

However, after leaving, I did always have some 'work' to do, whether that was gardening or fixing cars or DIY.  I lost two grandads within the space of a few months, leaving 2 disabled Nan's in a rural area that didn't drive and needed a lot of help.  It's only now that I can't really do anything other than sit at home all day that I'm really struggling mentally, I was able to manage much better when I had something to do and hope to start doing something similar again soon.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @cupcake88 please stop worrying about your PIP and losing it this wont happen they do not just stop paying you, you have been advised by lots of people that you can work and still get PIP and as this job is only occasional for a few hours maybe a month you have no need to report it to DWP

What you need to concentrate on is if you want to take the opportunity and try this work. To be honest you will probably not find an opportunity like this very often to allow you to return to work slowly and with someone who seems to understand and dealt with similar employees in the past.

But the question is are you ready but you can give it a try and see if you cant get on with it then just stop doing it 
  • cupcake88
    Options
    @janer1967 you know What I’m like I over think stuff way to much . Might do me some good to have a list of jobs to do and to go off and get them done other that sat here working my self up . 

As you pay know some of you I haven’t had the best time with employers .  Most will say oh yeh we understand but then they do not understand this lady really does understand .  I have to work with some one so they can show me what to do and she has emailed me The name of the person and has said she’s lovely and kind and patient . 

Most places run a mile when you tell them you suffer with pychosis when your anxiety gets bad and she was so lovely and supportive and said that I can say no and yes to work . She’s asked me to just do 3 hours this week and then she hasn’t got any thing else till 3 weeks time then she has 9 hours then she will fit me in a few hours a month at least . 

Not many people are going to be looking for a job that is so little in hours so it probably helps her out . 

Not many places would be patient . I told her I over thing things , I panic , I work better if I’m given a list to follow , and I work better on my own I also said I often hear voices . And she knows I’m supported by a nurse and she still wanted to hire me ha . 

I’m going to pretend I’m cleaning my house and focus on my breathing my nurse taught me . 

Thanks janer for all your support and advice x

• cupcake88
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious
    thank you for your reply . Yeh I know it states that but I just panic and over things stuff . 

Well at lease you tried and 9 months is an amazing Achievement So you  should be Very proud of your self . 

I have found i have been honest in interviews ha ha then I don’t get the job . 

I’m sorry bout your grandads and that’s good that you was able to help your grandmas . 

I know what it’s like to sit at home panicking because you can not go out I know that feeling . Since being on anti psychotic meds I find that I’m able to leave the house and pop out more than what I did with out the meds but I still have my weeks where I’m in a bad way even on meds . 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @cupcake88 I would say give it a try its only 3 hours and I dont think you would find a better opportunity

I know and understand your anxiety which is why I may sometimes come across as blunt but I am only trying to motivate you 

Good luck and let us know how you get on tomorrow
  • cupcake88
    Options
    I’ll let you all know whether I go or not and how I get on xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.