PIP Paper Based Assessment - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Paper Based Assessment

Comments

• TheFutureEmbrace
    TheFutureEmbrace Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    @janer1967 Yeah that's what I'm still worried about. I won't be completely at peace until i know for sure.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,282 Pioneering
    My Nan says never count your money till it’s In you’re hands . I was very anxious bout it too it was every one on this forum who got me threw my whole pip assessment the support was amazing . 

It seems like a positive report so I really hope she gets pip I’m sending you positive thoughts 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    @Cress yes, but still worried that the case manager can go against the report.
    I won't be completely relieved until I see the money in the account or the decision letter lol.
    Yes I understand...was the same myself.
    The poster who claimed to be a case manager said DM will only go against the report if it favours the applicant in most cases...of course one cant be sure he was who he claimed to be! Fingers crossed for you.
    I actually had the money paid into my account literally a week after my assessment! Hope you dont have much longer to wait...
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @Cress Thats encouraging I'm hoping we'll know soon.
    Thanks for your support.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @cupcake88 Thanks for the support. I'm hoping to know soon now that we're in the final stage.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    So i went back and reread the report as I read on here that some people can read it wrong, and I apparently I did too.
    My partner got 19 points for daily living not 17 and 10 points for mobility.
    If only those 2 extra points were for mobility instead lol.
    Also it says the recommend award time is 18 months but they don't go 18 month awards do they so will it be 2 years?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,914 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, they can give an 18 month award. Usually they go with the report but as it's only a recommendation you'll need to wait for the decision letter and if awarded, it will tell you on there the exact award length.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    Hey guys so I've just had a letter saying 'We have the information we need to decide if we can award you PIP'

'There is no need to contact us. We will write to you when we have made a decision on your PIP claim'.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this letter? And what the next step will be?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

This letter is normal it is just a standard response once they have all they need, no need to worry about it
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @janer1967 Thanks janer. I'm just hoping it isn't too long now.
    I'm on tenterhooks.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont think it will be too long fingers crossed, Keep checking the bank as sometimes you get the money before the letter
  • poppy123456
    Please try to relax, i know that's difficult but it's very rare they go against the report. You've done all you can for now until the decision's been made. There's no timescales how long this will take and the letter that you received is a standard letter. To be honest, i'm not even sure why they even bother sending that letter because it just makes people even more nervous. They could save paper and just wait until the decision's been made and then send the decision letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @poppy123456 I am going to apply for carers allowance if successful with PIP, and I just read about something called the carers premium.
    Is it possible to claim both or is it just one or the other.
  • poppy123456
    The carers premium is only added to certain old legacy benefits like Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support. If your partner is awarded daily living PIP and you look after them for at least 35 hours per week and you don't earn more than £128 per week (after deductions) then yes you can claim carers allowance, which can also be backdated to the start of their PIP award.

If you're claiming any other benefits like Universal Credit then the carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. You don't have to claim carers allowance to be entitled to the carers element in with your UC entitlement.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @poppy123456 My partner and I currently have a joint UC claim. When you say deducted in full do you mean the full £270 for carers allowance will be deducted from our Universal Credit every month?

Also, I was going to apply for CA on the day I got the PIP letter if successful, but how could I backdate the if I can only claim from the date the PIP starts. Or do you mean from when I made the first PIP phone call in July?
    Sorry for asking so many questions I just want to make sure I understand everything.
  • poppy123456
    If you calim carers allowance as well as UC then there will will a deduction of £291 from your UC for the carers allowance. This is because carers allowance is a weeklt benefit and UC is monthly and there's more than 4 weeks in a month.

You do not need to claim carers allowance when claiming UC to be entitled to the carers element of UC. You just need to report the changes on your journal that you are caring for at least 35 hours per week. Carers element is an extra £160 per month.

If you want to claim carers allowance as well of course you can do that but there's no financial gain. Although it pays class 1 NI credits and UC pays class 3.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    Hi guys a quick update.
    My partner's PIP backpay went in today so obviously her application was successful, we're just waiting on the letter to tell us the exact amount, length of award etc.

Thanks for all your help and advice and stay positive for those who are applying. Ita been a long, ardous process but everything went as planned and we didn't have any problems.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,104 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TheFutureEmbrace       That’s great news, yous can finally relax, well done. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @TheFutureEmbrace, that's lovely news.

Hope the letter arrives soon.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    Hi guys.
    So we finally received the dreaded brown envelope today.
    My partner was awarded enhanced daily living and standard mobility until April 2023. So almost 18 months longer than the health care professional recommended.

I have changed our joint Universal Credit claim to reflect that I am caring for her to receive the carer's element and have also applied for carer's allowance, backdating it to July when the PIP claim started.

Thanks for all your support and help its such a relief to have some good news before Christmas. 

Stay safe.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.