Feeling low — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling low

Options
lottie2007
lottie2007 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
Hi everyone feeling low today anxiety through the roof and my husband just been made redundant after 33 yrs at same place it seems never ending 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lottie2007

Sorry to hear that, my best wishes go to you and your husband.

It seems as though he has had a long, successful career so I'm sure he will be able to find work again soon, if that is a worry for you. 

Are you currently receiving any support for managing your anxiety? 

I would suggest doing things you enjoy, that might help you feel better :) This community will always be here to support you as well, you're not alone.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ernie2009
    ernie2009 Community member Posts: 167 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi everyone feeling low today anxiety through the roof and my husband just been made redundant after 33 yrs at same place it seems never ending 
    hi lottie, ive also had a **** day today but dont ask why. redundency is never a good thing as i jolly well know. im retired now but in my working life was made redundant 6 times. keep strong together and all will come good.
  • lottie2007
    Options
    Thank you I’m trying really hard will just take each day as it comes it’s worse because we can’t see our family an grandchildren hope you okay stay safe 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi lottie I’m really sorry to hear this sending you kind thoughts . It’s hard having down days I have a lot also and money worries it’s tough times and being in lock does not help . 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Yes, the pandemic certainly is a pain isn't it @lottie2007? I hope you will be able to see your family again soon, just try your best to keep your spirits up and please use the online community. We are here for you :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • lottie2007
    Options
    Thank you taking the time to read my message it can get very lonely especially when it’s dark at night I know that sounds silly 
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited November 2020
    Options
    It's an absolute pleasure for me to be able to read your posts @lottie2007, we appreciate all of our users on the community.

That doesn't sound silly at all, the darkness can invoke those feelings and it's quite normal. Do you have any hobbies you can do that help you relax or unwind?

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lottie2007 - yes, this pandemic has got a lot to answer for, but I feel it's also made this community stronger, & that helps us all. I know what you mean about not seeing family....it's my youngest grandchild's 13th birthday today.
    You & your husband, & the rest of your family will come through this all too. Do come & chat here whenever you want, & nothing you say is silly; I think these darker nights affect us all. Roll on Spring! :)
  • lottie2007
    Options
    I like to knit which takes my mind off things and listing to music. 
    I can cope during the day but as it starts to get dark then the panic sets in some nights I lay awake waiting for  it to get light I no it’s all in the mind but that doesn’t help 
  • lottie2007
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words it’s nice not to be judged 
    you all stay safe 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Ah that's lovely, what sort of things do you like to knit and what music do you listen to @lottie2007?

Have you tried using a night light?

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Something I can recommend that helped me is to close the blinds or curtains when it is still light, then you don’t see when it has gotten dark.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @lottie2007 sorry to hear about your husband it's not a nice situation I have been through it myself after 30 years working for same company 

Just be there to support him as he will be concerned about how this affects you too 

Always here to support and just chat 
  • lottie2007
    Options
    I’ve made 12shawls blankets now knitting animal blankets with the letter off there name in them lots off pattern so occupies my mind 
    it’s lovely to talk to you all never done it before 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again @lottie2007 - I used to teach relaxation classes (I was a physio), & this breathing exercise I still use every night as it helps me to relax & get to sleep. I hope you might give it a try as it helps reduce stress. Perhaps practice during the day to get the hang of it at first. Please see the following link: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    It's great talking to you too! :)

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All the best @lottie2007, relaxation exercises work well, I hope you try them ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• lottie2007
    Options
    Yep definitely going to give the exercises a go thank you everyone stay safe an well 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lottie2007 I hope today's been a better day for you.  How are you doing? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• lottie2007
    Options
    Hi 
    today has been a better day I tried breathing exercises last night and they helped 
    thank you for messaging me 
  • lottie2007
    Options
    How are you doing 

Brightness