Debt management help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Debt management help

samfits99
samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
Dear Sam ....

we now need to review the repayment plan and consider an increase to your current payments. 

Please get in touch with us to discuss your current arrangement and agree a new repayment plan. 

I've spoken to them today and the guy was helpful. he asked me how much can I pay I told him and we have set up a DD but they was taking 30PCM off my PIP does that mean they won't now? as I've set up a DD with them over the phone. 

If anyone can let me no that would be smashing. thanks everyone 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi do you mean the DWP were taking £30 a month of your PIP for a debt for a advance off them?
    More info needed to give proper advice.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I think the only ones that can answer your question here is DWP. Give them a ring on Monday morning.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • samfits99
    @woodbine I owed them £850 for a over payment on Job Seekers allowance and they was taking £50 PCM from my PIP not £30 my mistake. I owe them £400 left and it's full paid. hope that helps 
  • samfits99
  • samfits99
    @poppy123456 I no Saturday there open till 12. Or do they not open now on Saturdays 
  • poppy123456
    samfits99 said:
    @woodbine help please 

I'm not sure what other advice anyone can give. You need to ring debt management. I have no idea whether they are open today.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • samfits99
    @woodbine waiting your reply.
  • samfits99
    @Username_removed can you help please with my post.
  • poppy123456
    @samfits99 I'm not sure what other information you're really looking for. We can't give you any advice here because we are not DWP debt management. Please ring them on Monday morning and ask and they will be able to tell you the answers to your questions.
  • woodbine
    edited November 2020
    samfits99 said:
    @woodbine waiting your reply.
    Not sure what help anyone here can offer, you said they were taking £30 a month from your PIP then you remembered it was £50? how much did you set up the direct debit for? @samfits99 how on earth did you end up with an £850 overpayment on JSA?

• samfits99
    @woodbine sorry for the confusion. I was paying £30 but I've increased it to £50 to pay the debt off quicker. budgeting loan from 6 years ago and a over payment. I've set it up for £50 PCM. I told the guy not to take it from my PIP so I'm using money from my part time job to pay £50 PCM instead. he said money won't be taken from your PIP as the standing order is in place. So I'm happy now, I told him is this the biggest debt you have dealt with his reply was I've seen a bigger bigger debts than this your not the only one! there is a lot! 
  • samfits99
    @poppy123456 a DD is in place now so I'm happy. 
  • samfits99
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2020
    @samfits99 may i ask why you keep tagging members? I'm assuming you rang debt management and have now got your answer, so there's no further advice for anyone to give.
  • paulfreyman
    paulfreyman Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    @samfits99 I will be more than welcome to help you with your query as @poppy123456 @woodbine was unable to prompt you on. I have been in your position before but not as high as your debt though. but I'm sure they have dealt with bigger debts than that. as poopy advised give them a call Monday morning, explain to them you want to set up a DD and for the agreed amount and leave it as that ... they don't have to deduct the money from your PIP as long as the DD is in place and you continue to honour the payments it's fine! don't worry!! there not there to take your last penny trust me , as long as a payment plan is in place your all good. let me no how you get on Sam and good luck! 
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2020
    @paulfreyman there was no advice to give because if you had read further comments, you would have seen @samfits99 had already had their answer from debt management, which i'm assuming they had already rang.

Also to add that the DD has also been set up as previously mentioned by samfits.
  • woodbine
    @paulfreyman sorry but that's not true if as poppy says you read back the advice was given

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I have no good advice to give as I have not been in that situation before where I owe money to the dwp . I’m guessing it’s debt management with in the dwp . Hopefully by them taking 50 pound out your pip isn’t affecting you too much if not give them a call and speak to them and explain you can’t afford it . 
  • woodbine
    @cupcake88 he's set  up a £50 a month direct debit with them now

• paulfreyman
    paulfreyman Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    @woodbine @poppy123456 sorry I am new to this and only noticed the below comments* he's set up a £50 DD now so I'm sure it's all sorted! as I advised @samfits99 as long as you have something in place and you keep honouring the payments they won't need to deduct the money from your PIP. hope you get it all sorted tomorrow, once again good luck Sam. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.