Do you think the Beauty and hair Industry is inclusive? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think the Beauty and hair Industry is inclusive?

Gauthi99
Gauthi99 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited November 2020 in Research and opportunities
Do you think the Beauty and hair Industry is inclusive?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @Gauthi99! How are you doing?

I think this is an interesting topic, and I'm sure our members will have some thoughts. Is it something you're doing research into, or are you just interested to know what others think? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Gauthi99, interesting topic.

I've moved your question to the coffee lounge section and changed the title so that people know what the thread is about.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Gauthi99

Great topic.  I think there's still not enough disabled representation in hair/beauty media and industry.  Often where a disabled person appears in an advert, its as part of a diversity special and not just a 'normal' run of the mill shoot.

Whilst, are hair and beauty salons particularly accessible?  You could question the position of chairs to have your hair washed in and how this suits different bodies and needs.

There's a lot to think about!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Gauthi99
    @Tori_Scope Hi Tori, thanks for your warm welcome! Actually, I'm a postgraduate student at Leeds Beckett University.

My team and I are currently working on a PR campaign for NHBF (Hair and Beauty Federation) and BBC (British Beauty Council) regarding ableism in the hair and beauty industry. Our objective is to raise awareness on the issue and how to better include people with disabilities within the industry as consumers and employees and also create guidelines for the industry, government and media.

I would appreciate if you could participate in a focus group we are planning in the next few days, as your say matters a lot to us. If you are willing to take part, we can set a date and time convenient to you.

If you can't attend, it is still okay if you could share your views here that would be still immensely helpful for us to project your views to them to bring some changes in the representation of hair and beauty industry. 

Thanks. :)
  • Gauthi99
    @Ross_Scope Hi Ross, thanks for your welcome. I really appreciate your assistance. It would also be great if you can share your insights regarding this if you have any. Thanks :)

• Gauthi99
    edited November 2020
    Hi @Cher_Scope Yes, I think you are right about people with disabilities are not well represented in the beauty and hair industry and that is what I personally felt based on my secondary research. Actually My team and I are currently working on a PR campaign for NHBF (Hair and Beauty Federation) and BBC (British Beauty Council) regarding ableism in the hair and beauty industry. So, for that we planned to conduct a focus group to get more insights and to broaden our understanding regarding this issue. I would appreciate if you could participate in a focus group we are planning in the next few days, as your say matters a lot to us. If you are willing to take part, we can set a date and time convenient to you.

If you can't attend it then I guess I can post my further questions here to get all of your insights on them.

Thanks. :smile:

• Tori_Scope
    Hi @Gauthi99! Thanks for getting back to us. Would you be able to email a few more details about the project through to community@scope.org.uk? 

• Gauthi99
    Yes sure, Tori. I will email regarding our project elaboration to the aforementioned email in your response.
  • Tori_Scope
    Great, thanks @Gauthi99! Much appreciated :)

• Gauthi99
    Hi @Tori_Scope. I have emailed it. :)
  • Gauthi99
    Do you think the beauty and hair products are more accessible for people with disabilities?  If no, can you give me some examples of people with different disabilities find difficulties in accessing the products? Thanks in advance :) 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Hi @Gauthi99

Just to let you know, I've deleted your duplicate post in the Disabled People category so we can keep everything grouped together.  

In terms of accessibility, I'd think firstly of money.  Disabled people are a demographic hit most by poverty so are price points for products too much to begin with, effectively excluding people from the get-go?  

Then consider the lay-out of beauty stores.  Are products within easy reach for people of shorter heights or wheelchair users?  Or, are they rather designed with the normative body in mind.  One who can bend, manoeuvre, grab and tip-toe?  Are spaces between aisles wide enough?  

More-so, are products easy to dispense and apply?  Do they need a firm grip?  Are they easy to open?  What if someone was visually impaired - would braille on the package be advantageous to helping communicate what's inside and how to use?

There's so much to think about but I hope this helps.

I'll add a disclaimer to show we have checked this too :)

Events, research and opportunities disclaimer

The Events, research and opportunities board is the only board that permits the publishing of posts with an email, contact number or survey link.

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Gauthi99
    Yes @Cher_Scope thanks a lot. It is indeed helpful. What about the beauty services such as beauty spas and salons? Do you think people with disabilities find any difficulties in accessing them? Thanks in advance
  • Gauthi99
    Do you think people with disabilities have difficulties in accessing beauty and hair salons? If so, can you list out few of them. Thanks in advance.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Hello @Gauthi99

I've merged your new thread with your existing one to avoid confusion. 

One thing I immediately think of is the physical layout - do beauty spaces have accessible entries? Is there a ramp or is there steps?  This indicates whether wheelchair users have been considered in the design and are therefore an anticipated customer.  

Are places quiet or do they have too much going on (noise, colour)?  How would someone with a cognitive impairment cope?  What about an autistic person, would it cause sensory overload?  Also, do they have accessible toilets?   

I'm sure our other members can think of things too :)

• Gauthi99
    edited December 2020
    @Cher_Scope Thanks for your valuable insights Cher. 
  • Gauthi99
    @Cher_Scope Do you have any suggestion for the beauty and hair industry in general to better represent the people with disabilities? Thanks in advance. 
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    For me as a wheelchair user I find the sinks difficult to manage as they are hard on my neck when washing my hair. I find most nail bars have high benches with high stools so no good for me. I find massage tables dont move either up or down as they are static. I will post anything else I remember. By the way what percentage of people who work in this industry identify as disabled?
  • Gauthi99
    @littleacorn Thanks a lot. It is very insightful. And yes, the percentage of people with disabilities who work in this industry is really less. That should be taken into consideration. Also may I know if there are any kind difficulties that you think people face when accessing the beauty products? Thanks in advance.
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    I have seen that some at beauty counters eslecially in the larger stores do on the spot make overs and seem to ignore those with disabilities. I personally dont have any difficulty with beauty products other than how much they cost ha ha! but I imagine that opening the tubs and tubes will be difficult for some.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.