Searching for sleep: what helps you beat insomnia? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Searching for sleep: what helps you beat insomnia?

Comments

• Fourpence
    Fourpence Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I can't remember the last time I slept for 8 hours, normally it's 2hrs then get up. Think it's because of the pain I get staying in one position, so wake up to move, still in pain so that's not the answer l. I find something to do like yesterday at 4 am doing the ironing. I don't expect a proper night's sleep anymore, just find something to do and hope I get some sleep. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    It's good to know we aren't alone in facing these sleep struggles!  You have all given me some helpful tips for nights when its bad so thank you. 

I think the key is not to stay in bed trying to force it if your brain is active, and instead trying getting up, making a milky drink, reading or even ironing like you say @Fourpence - then going back to bed.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    I just sing Faithless - Insomnia in my head until the irony sends me off...

But seriously, I just don't 'try' to sleep any more.  I find the extra pressure of trying to sleep makes it worse.  I just accept that some nights I won't get any sleep (before a shopping trip for example) and keep the radio on low.  I never get up though, feel really wobbly and nauseous if I try to get up during the night.  Can just about walk to the loo and back as long as I keep my eyes closed and hold on to fixtures!  
  • Fourpence
    Fourpence Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Or we could just logon here and see who else is up ready for a chat. Thank you all for the messages of support and I hope tomorrow is the start of a better week.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Yep, logging on here is always a very valid option @Fourpence :D hopefully this week brings better things for you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I have had  problems with sleeping since I had corona virus at the begining of the year and haven't been able to work and then I got in debt and still trying to get out of it now since I had corona virus it has turned my life upside down  hut trying hard to turn it back round 
  • Lisatho11987777
    When I do sleep I cant wake up  and stay in bed I have lupus  so the corona virus threw it all out I am tired all day when I get up but I don't go out at the moment though either which doesn't help 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Sorry to hear that you've struggled with sleep since having Covid @lisathomas50, and that you have had financial difficulties. 

Have you spoken to your GP about your struggles with sleep following Covid? 

Also, are you receiving professional advice to help you through your financial situation?

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited December 2020
    The Festive Find present hunt

image of the Christmas present for the festive find game

• Cher_Alumni
    How's everyone's sleep at the moment?  Mines very up and down  :s

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope 5th present!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Lisatho11987777
    Well done  finding the presents 
  • cjbraiden
    cjbraiden Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
     I don't sleep well, amongst other problems I have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. Have to use medical equipment to assist my breathing, while I'm asleep. I've been on medication, for depression and anxiety for over 36 years and it has caused me to gain 9 stone in weight. I'm currently 22 and a half stone. The weight of my own body is painful laying on the bed. The tranquillisers I have to take have made me massively over weight.  
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Hi @cjbraiden

That sounds really rough, you must feel exhausted. Have you spoken to your GP about getting help with losing weight?  Also, have you ever been referred to a local mental health team for support with your anxiety and depression?  It can't be easy at all and I think some outside support would be beneficial for you.  

• Lisatho11987777
    It must be very hard for you are you getting any help  at all 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have had terrible sleep problems  since I had corona virus  I am awake all night becsusr I cant sleep  and then I don't grtvup until about half past three 

I wentcto sleep stx7sm and was up at 11am today as I had my wood  deliverd for my wood burner  just need to stay awake rest of the day  and try and go to bed about 10pm its  worth a try 

I have spoke to my doctor about it  she said its going to be hard  to get my body clock right again   its horrible not being able to sleep when your supised to  but I can guarantee you if I got a job working nights I would be tired all the time ? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Well hete I am ha ha still awake because I fell asleep on the afternoon yesterday and woke up at 10pm so now I cant sleep I am upside down lol ? 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @lisathomas50 Ooft your body clock sounds all over the place.  Have you tried holding out and not sleeping in the daytime?  Easier said than done, I know.  

Brightness