Super-Smooth Riding New Cars — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Super-Smooth Riding New Cars

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Transport and travel
Has anyone with stomach or motion issues tested out various newish cars and found the smoothest riding ones?  

I'm not able to test drive cars myself as the anxiety of going go a dealership and dealing with a salesman makes me too nauseous before even getting near the car.  It's a difficult situation!

I bought a nearly new car today.  Have spent months researching online to decide what I thought was the ideal model and spec.  Looked good on paper, has independent rear suspension and electronic adaptive suspension with a comfort mode.  But even in comfort mode I couldn't even get half way to the supermarket this afternoon without feeling really ill.  

I don't know how much of that was caused by the anxiety of it being 'different' as I really don't deal with change well.  Even if it's a 'good' change like getting a new car... I will try again tomorrow but if the same happens again I'll have to change it for something with a smoother ride. Trouble is, ride is very subjective so I really need advice from someone else with gut problems rather than back problems for example.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm sorry your chocie of car may not have been the correct one. Personally, i think this is the sort of situation where you may not get the right advice based on other peoples experience because everyone is different. Which could mean you spending more money than you can afford because everytime you choose a car, if it's not right you lose money if you have to sell it to buy another.

I test drove probably a dozen cars before deciding on my current one. My disabilities make driving difficult and if i sit for too long my legs start getting numb, so lack of feeling, which isn't nice. If i sit in a car that's too low, i can't get back out, the drivers seat has to be a certain height, the steering wheel has to be very light also and that's just to start with. The cars i thought may have been good, were infact the worst. Even the car i decided on isn't quite right and it took me a long time to get used to the seat, which was extremly annoying because i love the car but just 1 annoying thing that lets it down for me and i rely on my car so much because i can't even walk to my local corner shop.

I think before you decide what you want to do you should give it some time to at least try to get used to it. Change is a big thing and a new car is a big change. I hope it works out ok for you, if not then good luck and your next choice. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Thinking back I think the smoothest ride I ever had was in an old Daimler, don’t suppose that helps much.

good luck with it ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    edited December 2020
    Just a quick update, sadly it didn't get any better and I've asked to return the car.  Got to wait until Monday to see if they'll allow it.  I've had to switch back to my old car for now.

It also seems that the automatic gearbox was adding to the issue.  I don't have much 'oomph' for want of a better word so find driving physically difficult now and am getting muscle aches in my clutch leg after even short drives so thought it was time to move to auto...had no idea it could cause an issue like this but in hindsight, I can't use lifts, escalators or any form of public transport so it does make sense as there's less control than manual, it's a bit like being a passenger in my own car.

So will stick to manuals and more comfort orientated cars.  I know no-one will be exactly the same as me but has anyone tried a Focus Active?  I've previously had a normal Focus which was ok, but they're changed the suspension setup on the newer ones and made the ride a bit firmer.  The Active model might be a better choice though?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry that you ended up having to return it @OverlyAnxious. I don't know anything at all about cars I'm afraid! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    With the issues you have i definitely wouldn't recommend a ford focus. What car did you actually choose that you are unable to drive?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • OverlyAnxious
    With the issues you have i definitely wouldn't recommend a ford focus. What car did you actually choose that you are unable to drive?
    Seat Leon.  But it was in FR Sport spec - the only model with adaptive suspension and I hoped putting that in comfort mode would have smoothed the ride but it wasn't enough.  There is the possibility of changing to the Xcellence Lux (comfort equivalent) but that comes with fixed suspension (albeit comfort orientated) and no IRS as with the models below.

I have previously had a few Ford Focus's in Titanium and Titanium X spec (comfort models) but they were the Mk2 and Mk3.  Now we're on Mk4 and annoyingly they've dropped the independent rear suspension on these models and just fit the cheaper rear beam suspension from the Fiesta.  The only one that kept the decent rear suspension was the luxury Vignale model...BUT they fit 18" wheels to them so there's less sidewall to soak up the bumps which I'm very cautious of.  

My current car is a Golf Match (comfort model) which is just about ok but again that's the old model and VW have also dropped the IRS on the more recent models.  So There aren't any modern hatches that are a direct comparison to what I've had before.

I don't really want an MPV type thing, I don't need the extra size or height, but if that's the only way to get a better ride then I may have to do that.
  • poppy123456
    Ah yes the sport spec isn't suitable for me either because it's just not a smooth enough ride and my pain levels would increase a huge amount. My daughter has a ford focus with adaptive suspension (66 plate) it's potentially one of the worst cars i've ever been in. Even my grandson in the back in his car seat feels all the bumps and you can see his seat bouncing up and down.

I currently have a peugeot 3008 (newest shape) GT line and i love it, it's a very smooth ride, although if i'm going to be super picky i found the seat wasn't 100% right when i first got it but now i'm used to it. My grandson's car seat doesn't bounce at all in the back of this one.

Before that i had the suzuki vitara again it was lovely but not as comfortable as the one i have now.

My personal opinion is to stay away from the sport spec models even if they have adaptive suspension because you'll likely find the exact same problem. I also agree that you may have no other option but to think of the SUV/MPV cars. Not all of them are big, the Nissan Juke is quite smal for a SUV, likewise the Renalt Captur.

I don't know if they will agree to have the car back or whether you'll lose any money for returning it. Do let us know what happens and i hope you'll find something suitable soon.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck returning the car, I hope they are understanding of your reasons to return it.

I’ve heard Citroens have decent suspension. They also have their “luxury” make DS.

I do hope you manage to find something. I keep thinking of a possible solution but there’s always a reason it wouldn’t work for your situation. It must be very frustrating for you :|
  • poppy123456
    Ah yes, the Citroen. When i had my annual service a couple of weeks ago my courtesy was Citroen C3 Aircross. Peugeot and Citreon share a dealers where i live. The car was so lovely to drive, extremely smooth too. Th eonly thing i didn't like was there was no arm rest. I need an automatic so an arm rest is very useful.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Yeah, I'll definitely be avoiding sports specs now!

Do you know which trim level your daughters Focus is?  On 66 plate that's still the old model, I've had a couple of those, albeit in comfort spec.  I guess hers is probably an ST-Line with the lowered springs and 18" alloys though?  Unless it's a full fat ST3 with 19s?  Tyres look like rubber bands on those!

I hadn't really considered 3008s (or anything that size) but there are some just in budget.  GT-Line is semi-sport spec though, I'd probably be better off with the Allure myself.  They look a bit futuristic inside, how do you get on with everything being via touchscreen?  I had several late 90s/early 00's Peugeots back in the day but then they stopped making decent cars for around a decade lol.

@66Mustang it is incredibly frustrating.  Tbh I feel far more frustrated by my issues than I ever feel depressed about them.  The underlying issues are the same ones that stop me getting out and dealing with any medical people as well.  I don't see any way for it to change though, it just goes round in circles with anxiety/agoraphobia/OCD causing nausea and IBS....and the IBS and nausea causing more anxiety.  I am really struggling physically this week as my insides just won't settle at all.  I just want to get all this car stuff out of the way and get moved into a new place (have found a potential compromise on a house...) in the hope that I can then relax a bit and get physically settled back to a more manageable level.

DS is a 'premium' branch of the Citroen brand, but the smaller cars are still sporty rather than luxury unfortunately.  I did try a DS3 a few years ago but the ride was rock solid!  The days are gone of the air suspension on the old Citroens.  On that subject though...have you seen the 508 Fastback?  Looks fantastic...no idea what the ride is like on them though.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Good news on the house @OverlyAnxious :) I hope it works out!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure but It's defintiely not the ST line. It's actually her partners car but she uses it because her car is a 3 door and not really suitable for a babies car seat.

The Allure just has a few less things on it, like the trim around the outside, on a GT line it is chrome, unlike the Allure, the headlights are not HDI like the GT line. There's a few extra things on the GT line but pretty much the same to drive to be honest.

Inside, now that's my favourite of all! I love the cabin, it's so top spec for me. Touch screen is nice and responsive, it has a sat nav but i prefer to use my phone for google maps, although the sat nav on mine has live instant updates. The only thing i found difficult to get used to was the climate controls are in the infotainment system so really it's one button too many for me, exactly like the Utube videos i watched before i chose the car. Mine is the EAT8 diesel.

I haven't see the 508 fastback but now you have left me curious so i'm going to have a look on google :D
  • OverlyAnxious
    I'll have to go petrol this time...  I've had constant DPF issues on both the Focus's and the Golf.  I just don't do enough miles for them but needed the cheap running costs of £30 tax and 55mpg.  This time I can afford a bit more on fuel and tax so a petrol is fine...though I know some new petrol's also have a GPF now.  Don't really want any less than about 150bhp though...
  • poppy123456
    Yes, that was my thinking too when i chose my current one because i don't do huge amount of miles, about 6-7,000 a year is my average. I sopke to the dealer before i made my choice and was advised that because it's a mobility vehicle then for me any repairs would be free, so it didn't make any difference to me and my bank balance. This was why i chose the diesel, otherwise i would have choosen petrol. Although i did look at a hybrib but the waiting list was far too long, so i passed on that one.

BHP makes no difference to me at all really.
  • irishman
    irishman Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hello, 

Please just take my word for it and go for the new 2020/2021 Tiguan r line.

I have ordered mine (coming Friday 18th December) and it is really an amazing car heated seats, steering wheel & Parallel parks the car for you if you prefer that and don’t like the pressure.

It’s a suv and it has a rather expensive down payment of £3500 but if you can afford it please just get it, drives so smooth and has that sitting up high feeling.

I have it because I have a hidden disability looking at me you’d think there’s nothing wrong but I am suffering massively from sciatica going down the back of my leg, I’m on a ton of tablets which include 300mg of pregablin twice and day and morphine patches.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Thanks @irishman .  Sadly I don't qualify for Motability so have had to purchase a used vehicle with my backpay from the Daily Living award.  New shape Tiguan would be well out of budget this time but may be a contender if I'm awarded Mobility at the next assessment.  I am a VW guy despite having owned various makes and models over the years!  You'll have to post a few pictures when you get it!

After a colossal amount of hassle I have finally got the original car returned and the refund should be on it's way...  :)
  • irishman
    irishman Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Aww I’m sorry to hear mate, hopefully you get it at some stage. 

yeah I’m a vw man aswell I currently own a 2014 golf GTD it’s a great car but it’s too low down for my back. 

That’s great news, I’d say go for a SUV and I’d rather automatic it’s way handier (golf was auto). 

What car are you thinking off getting? ?
  • OverlyAnxious
    Yeah, it's a bit annoying regarding Mobility.  I have to rely on a car, and need a specific type of car, in order to get anywhere at all.  Yet I don't qualify under the descriptors as I can walk an acceptable distance and go out alone.

The Leon was DSG and I couldn't really get on with it so will be sticking with manual this time despite the aches it causes.  The 'box itself was really nice but I just couldn't deal with the lack of control when pulling away and parking etc.  I might have been better with an old slush box that creeps on the brake, but with the DSG it wouldn't creep until the throttle was touched first and kind of felt like stepping onto an escalator and being 'pulled' rather than being totally in control which was giving a sort of vertigo effect.

I'm probably going to try a Mk4 Focus Titanium X tbh. I'm not sure why Poppys daughters Mk3.5 is so bad as I had two Mk3s myself a couple of years ago.  It may have some optional 18" alloys on it.  Anyway, for the first 6 months of the Mk4 production they still fitted independent rear suspension to them so it will have to be slightly older than I was after, I wouldn't risk a newer rear beam version.  I put my budget and criteria into a few sites and only came up with 4 cars - Mk3 Leon, Mk4 Focus, Nissan Juke and BMW Active 2 Series.  The Focus should be the safest option out of those and I've had plenty of experience with Fords in the past.  Heated windscreen is a massive bonus as well.  It's not what I want to be completely honest, I had ideas of going back to German shows (when Covid is over) and having a car that was interesting enough to photograph in scenic locations, but if the Focus allows me to start getting out and about reliably over short distances again that will be a good start.

If the Focus isn't suitable, I will have to look into SUVs instead, but they'd have to be over 3 years old and out of warranty for my budget so would rather avoid that if possible.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I can’t remember if I already suggested this to you or not, I thought I did but can’t find it in my PMs.

Just trying to think outside the box a little: did you ever consider the ND (4th generation) MX-5?

It’s really light so they could afford to give it soft suspension. I have driven one and it is honestly really smooth riding. Though I find the Fiesta smooth :D

There is a 1.5 and a 2L. You’d be looking at the 1.5 as the 2L comes with slightly firmer suspension and bigger wheels. It only has 130 odd HP but that is plenty because it is so light.

Would also fit the reliability criteria, and it it interesting and has a great following so there’d be shows etc. to go to.
  • OverlyAnxious
    @66Mustang Haha, yeah you did suggest an MX-5 before.  They look cool but not for me unfortunately, I can be pretty sure they won't be smooth enough for me specifically, plus if they're the same as earlier models, very low and quite cramped inside.  We had one bought into college one day, I didn't even fit in it!  :D  I need something with a bit of practicality too really, especially with the (hopefully) upcoming house move.  I would have liked a Scirocco before I bought the Golf tbh. 

Due to the risk and costs involved I'm just going to stick with something as close to my current Golf as possible now.  But not a newer Golf, seeing as they're overpriced and under-specced...and only come with solid beam suspension on normal models (1.5 TSI Match).  I couldn't even afford the equivalent to my own one on a 19 plate, let alone equivalent to a Titanium X Focus on a 19 plate lol.  

In other news, I used Tesco Pay @ Pump service for diesel yesterday for the first time due to the BP app becoming too unreliable.  Glad to say it was a success so will continue with that from now on!  ;)

Brightness