Deputyship at 18 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Deputyship at 18

Options
Supernova
Supernova Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Good Evening! I’m new on here & wanted advice & support where possible.
I will keep it as brief as possible. So I am a single parent, won a small negligence amount for my sons birth and therefore from the High Court I was given a court of protection deputy. 
My question is as parental control ends at 18, the deputy is taking over his well-being & financials. This leaves me possibly living in an annexe, whilst care is brought in for my son. I am middle aged, no family, no support, no friends, on everyday living PIP & carers etc. So all my benefits for my son will go to the deputy.
So firstly, shifted into an annexe, secondly, no income.
I know my son well, they don’t.
How can this be done, with the parent that’s been there every minute of everyday just thrown to one side? Does anyone have any experience of this, or know of anyone in the same situation please? Unsure how either of us will cope. He is not his real age, but several years younger. 
If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate your comments. Thank you 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hello and welcome to our community @Supernova I'm sorry you meet us in these circumstances but I do hope we can help. 

Unfortunately, my personal knowledge of deputyships is very limited so I'm unable to offer any advice.  I'd perhaps be inclined to get legal advice from The Law Centre or through an advisor on the Advice Local website.

I didn't want to not reply though as this must be such a hard situation and my heart really does go out to you.  I've marked this post as unanswered and I'm hoping someone with more knowledgeable clout than me comes along soon!

I really do hope things go well for you both.  If ever you need a vent, we are here to listen.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Supernova I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice myself on your query apart from maybe visiting your local Citizens.Advice Bureau to see if they can assist you. Welcome to the community,  and if you need anything else or have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask us. Please keep us posted with how you are getting on.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Supernova :) Have you been able to get in touch with Citizens Advice, or seek any legal advice? I'm sorry that I don't have an answer for you either! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Supernova

How is everything going? Have you been able to get any answers with this?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • SuePaul07
    SuePaul07 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Hi @Supernova.  The Mental Capacity Act 2005 comes with an associated Code of Practice and the Deputies themselves have a set of standards they are supposed to adhere to.  I used to be a Court of Protection Deputy so I have some experience in this area.  They're supposed to work with you, not ignore you and you have the ability to complain and have their work checked.  I hope this is helpful. SuePaul07  
    Best wishes
    Sue

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."  Theodore Roosevelt - "The Man in the Arena" - a speech given at the Sorbonne, Paris on 23.04.1910.

Brightness