Universal Credit eligibility by non UK citizen + housing benefit - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit eligibility by non UK citizen + housing benefit

Comments

• monsieur
    monsieur Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Well i want to be a student. I have applied for functional maths and english skills in birmingham college ans they sent me a letter that my assessment will be at 5th of jan :).
    I am not gonna stay in this country and do nothing all the time. I really could .commit.to just study 24/7 maths languages and stuff.
    I am 26 but i still hope one day ill go to university.
    Being uneducated and unqualified is pain :)
  • monsieur
    But i dont know if im gonna go.
    It depends what they say from UC
    I can always learn in home it depends what uc ppl say. I dont know
    Because lot of ppl tell me i have got mental issues even though i think im ok ppl tell me im not
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Just so that you are aware if you do pass the HRT and claim UC successfully, full time students are unable to claim UC unless they are claiming a disability benefit such as PIP (personal independence payment) and have already been assessed as having limited capability for work. Unfortunately you won't be able to start a claim for PIP until you've lived in the UK for 2 out of the past 3 years.

If you do become a student and your claim for UC is successful then you'll need to report the changes to DWP and your UC will end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • monsieur
    edited December 2020
    Yes my roommate told.me this just few moments ago.
    I wont be able to pay for rent then if i get refused and when i become homeless i wont be able.to go to college
    Lets see what happens next week, because i have been told it hasnt been decided yet if i am eligible.
    I might then go to doctor first and start treatment and see how i can manage to get cash to pay for rent and then go to college later.
    Its all confusing me but im hoping that everythings gonna be ok.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @monsieur, how are you today? 

Yes it is all very confusing, but I'm sure everything will be okay for you. And the community will provide as much support as possible. I hope you've found the above advice from Poppy helpful.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • monsieur
    @Ross_Scope Hey, thank you :). I am okay.
    I am just getting prepared for some little sightseeing around Birmingham :). I am going to walk for few hours, that definitely does me good with my mental wellbeing!!
    Staying indoors all the time is not always healthy!! :)
    I think i am gonna get to the canal first and see where it takes me.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Okay @monsieur, hope you enjoy sight seeing. Stay safe :) Make sure you wrap up warm too, it's quite cold.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • monsieur
    @Ross_Scope hey cheers :). Weather is nice today.
    Well i have jist been refused UC again. They said im a job seeker and failed HRT even though i said about my mental problems and that im suicidal.
    I also said i spent 6 weeks in mental hospital where i was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and stuff.
    I am going to call citizens advice on monday and tell them about my situation.
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear this. I think even with your mental health issues you may have difficulty with the HRT because you went back to Poland for at least several months in 2019.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • monsieur
    edited December 2020
    Yeah, that's right. But i told them about being mentally unstable and UC tell me i am a jobseeker I get no help from support worker or GP as well... Im gonna call citizens advice on monday and tell them all this. I feel like some victim and only get support and advice from my friends. I have been left alone i feel like a victim. (Removed by moderator, potentially offensive comment). I don't know what to do now and im calling citizens advice on monday
  • monsieur
    What's wrong with going back to Poland to visit my family when UK at the time was part of European Union, it's just crazy
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2020
    It's not that easy to claim a benefit here, even if you're British and coming back to the UK you still have to pass the HRT.

I understand it's a difficult time for you but please don't compare yourself to someone else because that's really not nice.
  • monsieur
    Thats what english people say as well, its not made up by me.
    Im gonna go back to Leam and live in my tent again if i get no help here, because i was okay there.
    They make me want go back to Poland but i dont want to, they wont make me
  • monsieur
    I am being discriminated.
    If i get a job but im mentally unstable i might hurt aomeone and cause accident.
    They tell me i am a jobseeker but i cant get a job.
    I am also homeless person too.
    Council shouldnt have put me here too they just sent me to bham because i lived in a tent and it doesnt do me any good only makes things worse for me.

• monsieur
    edited December 2020
    Im more worried about my housing situation because if they will kick me out from here for not being eligible to get UC then ill become homeless again.
    But if im gonna have normal housing stuff im just gonna start treatment and forget about UC because i jist dont care now
  • monsieur
    edited December 2020
    I have got pre-settled status and have been here since 1st of june now, so it's taking (Removed by moderator, inappropriate language)out of me because it's more than 6 months. They probably assume that because i am polish i can't speak english very well. But i am gonna call citizens advice on monday and tell them everything and see what they say
  • poppy123456
    Please mind your language when posting here on the community. This is an open forum so young children could be reading this.
  • poppy123456
    Although you have pre settled status, you went back to Poland for several months and this is what's causing you the problems. You must maintain continuous residence in the UK for 5 years, which means not spending more than 6 months abroad in any 12 month period.
  • monsieur
    Sorry about posts. please delete anything that seems like offensive.
    But i read on internet that by law those with pre-settled status have the same rights that those with permanent residence.
    My polish friend who can't speak english but works in warehouse has passed her habitual test and she's got pre-settled as well.
    I said that i have been sectioned in Poland and diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, but they still classified me as jobseeker.
    And they say that to claim benefit i need to be in UK for specific period of time about 1-3 months but i have already been here for 6 months.
    I came back to resettle in this country and said all this as well.
    They probably assume from DWP that because i am polish i can't speak english very well.
    But i will contact citizens advice on monday and see what they say.

Even if i decide to go back to Leamington and live in a tent and rely on my polish friends, i won't be able to prove in 4,5 years that i have lived in this country for 5 yrs without having a job, having a treatment or studying.
    And english people have always treated me very well with respect since i first came here and DWP people just disappointed me.
  • monsieur
    What's causing the stress and disappointment is that after being homeless for some time i have read on web that when i am homeless i was supposed to report it to warwickshire council as soon as possible
    So i have called them and they put me to supported accommodation with people who claim Universal Credit and are on the list for council housing.
    But what's happening with me is that i clearly don't have the same rights that they do. I am not eligible for universal credit and council housing you know.
    This is why i have no idea what's gonna be happening to me and what's causing stress and stuff

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.