Universal Credit eligibility by non UK citizen + housing benefit - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit eligibility by non UK citizen + housing benefit

Comments

• monsieur
    monsieur Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited December 2020
    They put me here and i was excited you know to have electricity
    I have applied for UC and stuff i searched for jobs.
    Now it seems like i am not eligible for any UC, council housing and on top of that i might get kicked out from here as well because i have spent 7 months in Poland, i am EU citizen and... ahh i can't get UC so probably won't get housing benefit as well.
    It's just i have spent 5 weeks already here and nobody tells me about my situation. Either support worker or council
    And it's just too much disappointment and uneccessary stress that would have been avoided if council had made sure that i am eligible for UC first.

Anyways sorry for bothering you... Have a good day.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    What's causing you the problems is that you went back to Poland for several months, if you hadn't done that then your situation would have likely been very different. All i can advise at this point is to ring your local citizens advice on Monday morning.

I wish you good luck!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • monsieur
    edited December 2020
    Yeah it's only because i was fed up with living in shared accommodation with polish people who were discriminating me on daily basis for not having a job.
    In Poland i lived on my own in a flat and i have done this for my mental wellbeing
    But i have lived here from 2014-2017 continously and now i came back to resettle

Yeah i am calling them on monday. If i my housing situation is going to be okay here, then i can always try to apply in 2-3 years.
    But this is all causing me stress anyways... To be fair i'd prefer just to go to the college and start studying, i'll be fine. But it's all different...

But you know i still had the same home address and had all bank accounts registered. It's not like that when i left UK i changed my address, because i had the same home address from 2015.
    But unfortunately my grandma was feeling lonely in Poland and she made me to go there for so long, but in Poland i always have felt so unhappy with life i always wanted to come back.
    I should have just stayed in Leamington Spa i'd be fine. I told people on council that i have lived on this address for 5 yrs. But because i have been doing nothing for so many years apart from hanging out with my english friends, but living in shared house was doing my heading i decided to go to Poland for so long... And i don't regret it though...

Okay thank you for support. Even if i haven't gone back to Poland in 2017 and 2019 i think they would ask me to prove it that i have lived here for that many years, but that wouldn't have been possible because i have lived like a shade here. Never been registered with GP, my last job was in end of 2015 and i only made it up for 4 days anyways... Cuz later i couldn't get on with managers and stuff even though everyone was telling me i was doing great and every worker praised me obviously not being mentally stable took over and it always does when i get a job i can't concentrate and focus on my job because my head is always all over the place and i keep having too many thoughts in my head and then you know 8 out 10 my warehouse jobs was just that i left without saying the word because i wanted to go home and listen to music or go for a bike ride.

• monsieur
    I'd love just to go back to Leamington and my tent again... My only worry then was just getting settled status in 5 years
    But my friend wanted to create a company with me to sell stuff online you know, so it's not like i am going to back to Poland i will go back to Leamington.
    But at the moment i haven't got any money and can't even afford train ticket.
    My roommate and his family helps me and he won't make me go back to Leamington
    Month ago when i was refused UC i just packed my things and was ready to go back to Leam... But then my roommate stopped me and said that as long as i have something to eat i can stay here in this accommodation.
    But now i also find out that being no habitual resident excludes me from living in supported accommodation as well...
    I have lived here for 5 weeks i am not even sure if this housing agency receives housing benefit for me
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @monsieur

I hope you're doing okay and again I'm sorry to hear about the situation you're in, believe me we all want what's best for you. 

Calling Citizens Advice today sounds like a good idea, I hope that goes well.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • monsieur
    edited December 2020
    @Ross_Scope Cheers. Well it seems like my crazy mental issues always take over and i always start to create negative situations that might happen... And then i get really paranoid and stressed out and suicidal you see....
    But i have got contacted citizens advice and they didn't know anything how to help me
    So what i have done and i should have done it in first place was to call housing warwickshire district council. And i heard that they have called me on friday but ididn't answer the phone. I had a message in mailbox but i don't have credit to be able to dial it.
    So i called them today and their worker will contact me tommorow cuz he tried to contact me on friday anyway. They need me to give them some documents for my housing option or something like that.
    And i heard i can't be kicked out from here because they sent me here to prevent homelessness :smile: 
    I hope i didn't hurt anybody's feeling or made some1 mood's worse by how i deal with this issue and didn't compromise any1 privacy as well :smiley: 
    It seems like everything is ok. And also my housing benefit has been refused and they say i should claim UC to pay for housing costs so this is all confusing. Perhaps they want me to relocate now or something since i can't claim HB or UC
    But woman from district council said that i need go get some benefits or something like that because i have no incomes and stuff. I am not sure if i should mention my mental health problems tommorow.
    So 2m i am gonna write more information here :P
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hi @monsieur

I'm sure it's not you who creates the negative situations, try not to be too harsh on yourself. Please remember to use the resources we sent you in the email if you feel as though you are struggling with your mental health. 

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get anywhere with CAB, but I'm glad that you seem to have been pointed toward the right place with the district council. Hopefully the call back tomorrow goes well.

Whether you mention your mental health tomorrow is completely up to you. It might be worth mentioning as they could signpost you to any relevant support.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • monsieur
    Yeah, it's only me no1 else who creates this situations. It's just me
    Thank you :)

• poppy123456
    The reason your housing benefit has been refused is because you haven't passed the HRT, like UC. As you are living in supported housing then your rent should be covered by housing benefit but because you're not entitled to this then at the moment there's nothing you can claim.

I'm sorry that your local CAB weren't of any help to you. I'm not sure what else to suggest, unless there's a different advice agency near you. The advice you need is regarding the HRT.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • monsieur
    It's nothing to suggest
    I have contacted housing department from warwickshire district council and they gonna call me tommorow. Woman said on the phone that they want me to send them my documents by e-mail or something like that so maybe they want to relocate me back to warwickshire
    She said they can't kick me out because i am on homeless reduction programme.

I think i will have to prove that i lived on this address for 5 yrs tho. All i can say is that my mum lived there and my friends can prove it as well as my old landlord who recognises me you know.
    Housing they called me on friday but i had my phone turned off... So they left message in my mailbox, but obv i have no credit i wasnt able to listen to it
    So tommorow i am gonna speak with housing people and see what's happening
  • monsieur
    edited December 2020
    i didn't speak to them but at least they know i am okay they may call me after christmas ;)
    Ill update you whats going on and my current situation
    my nan sent me £100 and i get lots of food from food banks so thank you England ;)
    your government pays for my room here as well so im looking forward to getting permanent residence in 2025 and because i am on records of housing deparment it will be easier for me to prove to gov that i have lived here for 5 yrs.
    i'll be eligible to get UC then and im looking forward to it ;)

Thank you all for warm words and support
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Hey there @monsieur, just thought I'd see how things are going?

I found this online. Seems useful! I just googled for it tho. 

http://www.eurights.uk/what-you-need-to-know

I don't live in Birmingham, so I can't promise that these will help (I googled them), but give them a try?

https://barms.org.uk/

https://settled.org.uk/en/

https://www.migranthelpuk.org/Pages/Category/euss

https://rmcentre.org.uk/contact/

https://birminghammind.org/

• monsieur
    I am okay...
    Not going to get kicked out from emergency accommodation... 2 cleaners came in two days ago and said it's the best house cuz it's very clean and nothing to do...
    It's a shame that they don't give me this UC cash though...
    But i wanted to go to different country, but it's tier v now so probably not allowed to go anywhere, might get fined?? ;o
  • poppy123456
    monsieur said:

But i wanted to go to different country, but it's tier v now so probably not allowed to go anywhere, might get fined?? ;o

All of the UK, which includes England, Scotland and Wales, inlcuding Northern Ireland are now in a national lockdown and the advice is to stay at home and you're only allowed out for very specific reasons. See this link. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home

I have no idea what the rules are for traveling out of the UK to another country.

• monsieur
    I had delicious Christmas roast
  • Ross_Alumni
    Glad you enjoyed your Christmas dinner then @monsieur :) Mine was pretty good too

• monsieur
    thanks
    everything's good... Few days ago cleaners came up here and they said there is nothing to do and the best house!! It's the cleanest house!!! haha
    I was supposed to go to Poland/Sweden this week, but obviously because of lockdown i have had to stay...
    It's a shame  cuz some people wanted me to get out of UK and bought me plane tickets to Pol/Swe, so i didnt go to assessment in college and on friday i have spoke to my GP and said i am going to Sweden...
    I have been brainwashed and my head is still full of ****...
    But at least i am still staying in UK, and my roomates didn't let me leave this country and support worker said i can't go anywhere and leave this country cuz of lockdown...
    But well at least i am sure that they wont kick me out from here... Especially because i am not a **** lor vandal... :D
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's quite the compliment from a cleaner @monsieur

I'm sorry you weren't able to travel abroad, but it's necessary at the moment unfortunately. Do you get along well with your roommates? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • monsieur
    haha yeah it's true... It's too much risk to go abroad!!!
    yes of course we get along :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Exactly. It's something to look forward to in the future though @monsieur :) 

Great! That's lucky. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.