PIP stopped now Mandatory Reconsideration. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP stopped now Mandatory Reconsideration.

Tumilty
Tumilty Community member Posts: 65 Courageous
Hi
so i been on PIP a while then out of the blue with no warning in early October i got a phone call by a healthcare professional where they wanted to ask a few questions and would take only a few mins. 
I panicked & totally messed up my answers as i hate phone calls at the best of times. Maybe they did it out of blue to try catch me out i dunno. 
I got a letter in December saying i don't qualify anymore, also saying that i 'handled the call well' which i know i didn't & that they would let me know if i had to pay any monies back which has panicked me a lot. 
A family member called PIP with me alongside & started the Mandatory Reconsideration, the lady asked a few questions on the points i lost in my scoring so now i await. 
My question is should i have to pay money back when i know i'm in the right & also the fact that there was no letter or sms letting me know when the call would be, would that help my appeal etc & should i let them know this before they tell me the result of the reconsideration & what can i do in the meantime to help my case?

Many thanks

Tumilty

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

May i ask if you filled out a form at any point before you had the telephone call? usually they write to you or text you, if you gave a mobile number and they must give at least 7 days notice. If you didn't receive a letter do you have any problems with your post?

As PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears sometimes when a new decision is made, if the award is lower or there's no award given you can sometimes end up being overpaid. It will depend on when the decision was made. If there is an over payment, it will likely be a small one.

If the MR isn't successful then it's Tribunal after this. If you are eventually awarded successfully then it will be backdated to the date it stopped.

You really should be concentrating on where and why you think you should have scored those points. Adding a couple of recent real world examples of what happend the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Also stating who was with you and where it happened.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tumilty
    Hi Poppy 

No i don't recall filling in any form to do with anyone getting in touch via telephone to assess me. I would have known if i had. Maybe i could use this in my appeal but i cannot prove i didn't receive. 

I was assessed in October so i'm guessing if i have to pay back it will be from the assessment date not the date. 

I know where i should've scored the points & this would have been ok in filling in a form, anxiety issues aren't always easy to put across over a 8min phone call. 

Once ive sone the mandatory reconsideration & before i get the result, can i send stuff in to support my reconsideration or is that that until i get result & then tribunal appeal?

Thanks

Tumilty
  • poppy123456
    The form you should have received would either be the PIP2 form or a review form and it could have been anytime within the past several months before the phone call took place. You're saying you didn't recieve anything at all?

Before your award stopped when was it supposed to end?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tumilty
    Hi Poppy & thanks

My no i don't recall filling any form in. Something as important as that i would've remembered & prepared for the call but no definitely not. 

My award was due to end in September'20  then due to the virus was postponed until Feb'21 but got the out of the blue call October 8th 

I didn't know people were informed prior until the other day when i read a post here. Maybe i could use it in my defense however as i said i can't prove i didn't get it. 

Regards 

Tumilty
  • poppy123456
    You were due to be reviewed anyway. Just because you were given an extension on your award, reviews do still take place. Although a form should have been received, as your award was orginally due to end in September 2020 than you should have received the form around Februaury/March 2020.

Although reviews were suspended for 3 months during the first lockdown, those that did receive their forms would have been given 3 months to return them.
  • Tumilty
    yes i knew i would be reviewed. I expected February as they told me. I didn't receive a form so i'm wondering what to do now and if i can use in tribunal if need be. I guess nothing can be done till the reconsideration results are in . 
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    If it does get to Tribunal you need to concentrate on where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. It will be the strength of your evidence that will help you here. Rather than concentrating on not receiving any form because that's not going to get you a PIP award.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    When my review was comeing up I didn't have a form to fill in o got a letter 6months before  it was due and then got another letter October 2020 saying my review had been done and that my pip was ongoing I phoned them becsuse I wanted to check it was right and it was but it is worrying 
  • Tumilty
    Yes your right Poppy many thanks, all the questions the lady asked in the reconsideration call didn't get thorough answers as was overwhelming.
    Lisa it is worrying, having no mail over xmas each day waiting for postman is a days reprieve. 
    Just gotta wait i guess, nowt can do, impossible to see gp,

thanks 

Tumilty 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Tumilty hope it all gets sorted for  you soon 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there sorry to hear this when was your award suppose to end ? 
  • poppy123456
    Tumilty said:
    Hi Poppy & thanks

My no i don't recall filling any form in. Something as important as that i would've remembered & prepared for the call but no definitely not. 

My award was due to end in September'20  then due to the virus was postponed until Feb'21 but got the out of the blue call October 8th 

@cupcake88 previously mentioned in the quote above :)
  • Tumilty
    Many thanks to you all, i dread the post man coming to be honest & what with the current situation it doesn't make things any better. 
    They say they take into consideration not being to do 1 to 1 assessments yet easily make assumptions over a 5- 10 min call. 
    It's coming up to 5 weeks which was the waiting timer i was told so no point sending in other stuff now i.e dr letter etc.
    I will keep in touch when i know more. 

Regards

Tumilty
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    edited January 2021
    Try not to let it stress you out too much @Tumilty even though I know thats easier said than done. I've got my telephone assessment a week today and I know how much that has been stressing me :smile: Once you get your documentation at least you will know where you stand and will be able to get further advice then moving forward. Try and stay positive, difficult as that is.
  • Tumilty
    Hi Brett 
    Yes it's true but take it day to day. Pleased you had notice& i hope it all goes well for you. 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Tumilty said:
    Hi Brett 
    Yes it's true but take it day to day. Pleased you had notice& i hope it all goes well for you. 
    Thanks @Tumilty and I wish the same for you
  • Tumilty
    Still not heard from them yet, they said it was 5 weeks but been more than that, wondering whether to contact them to see whats what. I'm wondering if they will write or call. 

Regards

• Lisatho11987777
    @Tumilty if your worried about it give them a ring at least it will be peace if mind for you ? 
  • Tumilty
    Thanks lisathomas 
    Got the mandatory reconsideration notice back and I've been denied again. There seems to be no 'mental health' award  just daily living and mobility. Is this correct or is it part of? They said they called me but my phone was off asking if I had further info to send but I hear from my gp surgery that PIP contact them not the other way around.. There's an 0300 number for help with appeal, has anyone done it online, do I get to challenge the points I have not scored on?

Regards 

Tumilty 
  • Tumilty
    Also if I loose appeal do I pay money back, sorry I forgot to ask. 
    I'm guessing they aren't asking people to attend court at the moment. I doubt I could do this just like being OK in phone calls. 

Regards 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.