Disability specific employment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability specific employment

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,828 Scope online community team
    Hi @chiarieds. I'm sorry you felt the need to delete your post. Sharing personal experience is extremely useful and is something I would actively encourage from all members. It's one of the key components of discussion groups and no one should feel discouraged posting their own experiences. 

Sadly, I think you are not the only one who feels like this at the moment. If you read between the lines of many posts, lots of members are feeling like they shouldn't share their own experiences because they'll be told they're wrong.
    It would seem to me that this general feeling is at the root of many of the arguments and much of the tension across the community.

I highly value everyone's opinions and contributions and I'm very sorry to read you're feeling as though yours aren't being valued currently. I would encourage you (and anyone else feeling this way) to carry on sharing their experiences. 

I'm very fond of this quote by Albert Einstein:
    'The only source of knowledge is experience.'

He's considerably smarter than me so it must be true! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds I personally felt when you posted about your son that it was good news and gave people hope  thsts why I share my on going duport with the wellbeing team of scope supporting me to find a job

Peoples experience helps others I think and why people think its wrong 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    @woodbine if my posts about employment annoy you, you do not have to comment every time, like I told you the other day, post counts are irrelevant.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Just a friendly reminder to keep comments respectful and considerate. You might not all agree with what one another have to say, but please express this in the kindest way possible. 

@MrAllen1976, please feel free to post about this topic as much as you like, and if anybody doesn't like that I would encourage them to hold those feelings back and not comment, just as I would encourage you not to retaliate in any way and risk de-railing your own very important thread. 

Anyway, have you considered any of the advice given here, I'm curious? :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine if my posts about employment annoy you, you do not have to comment every time, like I told you the other day, post counts are irrelevant.

I thought no I won't bite then I thought actually post counts are relevant, if I see someone with 8,000 post then they get my respect for sticking around and taking part, on the other hand if I see someone with 100 post it helps me recognise that they are reasonably new to the forum. I note that the post you refer to was removed by the way.
    Now i've had my say (again ) and its best i put you on my ignore list, a very short list btw.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I have put woodbine on ignore, he's been baiting me all week and enough's enough.

I have applied for several jobs recently including a voluntary job working in the Sally Army Charity shop in s5 but I am yet to hear back from most of them, except I had to drop out of an offer of a job in central Doncaster yesterday because I don't and can't have a Windows PC to test PC games.

• woodbine
    I have been a model of patience and virtue and will remain so, I did say above that I would add you to my ignore list (a list of 1) but decided against such a childish action as we are all adults here.
    I would love it if you could show people where I have been "baiting" you, a few days ago you even put "awesome" to some advice I gave you.
    I have said this before but I will say it again, a lot of people on this forum give their time and advice freely and with good will, it is a friendly forum full of great people .

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrAllen1976 and @woodbine

Although we will never like, nor be friends, with everyone it's important to remember our community is based on the principles of being friendly and respectful to others.  As such, now seems like a good point to 'draw a line in the sand' and move on to more constructive conversations.

Should you want to discuss the matter more, please email the Community Team at community@scope.org.uk And in the mean-time, thank you for your valued contributions and understanding :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    @Cher_Scope i take that all onboard but have to say that someone from admin beat you to it, made me laugh to be honest when I thought about it, as one minute we are being told it's fine to have an opinion, the next minute being told that my post are being monitored which again when i thought about that I was less than pleased. But I will be a good boy from now on. And I promise not to have an opinion.
    Please understand that I am not having ago at you, just some of the double standards that we see too often on here, shame really as it's a friendly place and for 99% of the time I feel respected and valued.
    To say I am upset is a massive understatement as I write this i have a tear in my eye.
    John x

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine I'm sorry to hear that and our intention is never to upset our members.  To emphasise, different opinions are more than welcome and are vital to the life-blood of the community.  However, where opinions breach our online guidelines, we have a responsibility as moderators to intervene and ensure the community remains a safe space for everyone.  

It might seem that these rules aren't routinely applied to all, yet as a Community Team we endeavour to be objective and have integrity in our actions, treating everyone the same without exception.  This isn't always visible on the community as so much goes on behind the scenes, and is rightly kept confidential.  But please be assured our moderating isn't personal and has a purpose, to keep the community the friendly haven it is.

Take care  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Lisatho11987777
    Please can we all try to be nice I admit when I came on here I was bit all over the place stressed 

Now I am realy poorly with corona virus I feel like I am dying 

What I am trying to say is life is to short for falling out with people people are dying all around us  

Most people who go off the site say why they are leaving  I havent been here long enough to know if anyone one has gine off the site and not said but uou could be talking to someone on here who suddenly just drops off the group that maybe you have had a cross word with and thry don't come back uou don't know if this person has passed away 

Some prople come on here because they are lonely  don't see people we all have different problems  I know I repeat myself sometimes on here I do it becsuse I forget if I have said something before but most of the time it's becsuse some has asked me something I have answered before I dont mind 

We don't have to answer  when we read something but as you said @woodbine we are adults and you saying about the ignore button has caused mr Allen to say the same because he is upset 

I have put on here several times that I have corona virus not becsuse I want sympathy because I am scared  I am scared I am going to die so people do put things that are repetitive  mr Allen is probably  frustrated that he cant get a job and sometimes just saying it to someone helps plus new people come on here all the time that may be able to suggest something new to mr Allen

I know that was long but at least if this was the last thing I was saying to anyone it was a nice thing 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine I know I am monitored or I was but I am glad that they do that it protects you both ways  on a bigger scale we are all being monitored one way or another in the world eg anything you do on the Internet is monitored  your monitored in banking  when your shopping when your driving  basically life is monitored one way or another 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lisathomas50 @woodbine & the Scope team. @lisathomas50 - you got off to a shaky start, but are doing great now, thank you. I'm dreadfully sorry you have Covid-19 for the third time & are feeling so very poorly. I appreciate what you're trying to say, & agree that life can sometimes be too short......something I rarely mention because my eldest daughter says this, & always gives someone the benefit of the doubt as we lost our youngest daughter, her little sister, when she was only 23 months old. 
    Please know however that we all try to be more than 'nice' to each other; this community matters to us all. After being a Scope member for a little while, I respected @woodbine who had been here longer, & my views have not changed in the slightest. I hope you take it kindly Lisa, but you're preaching to the converted, as I sometimes feel the Scope team do too. We try our best; might sometimes get it wrong, but it's never our intent. If we could know that a member had left because of the wrong word, of course it would be taken back.
    The Scope team are rightly objective, as I try to be about medical info, but I would ask the Scope team to weigh up on the one hand how many people @woodbine may likely have helped against any distress you feel he may have caused....to say nothing about the distress you've caused him, also another Scope member, thank you.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @chiarieds I understand what your saying and and you have the right to say what you have to say and that is totally fine  and your right I havent been here long but my comment wasn't aimed at one person I take no offence to whst you have said 

I think maybe my surroundings have caused me to come over a bit heavy I also have lost a child in 1999 his name is Adam he was only a baby and I am so sorry you went through the loss of losing a child 

But I do see both sides I think it was ok up until the point where the ignore button was mentioned but we all say silly things that get taken the wrong way and we regret saying it 

People being repetative doesn't bother me as my mum has dementia and I was a carer in the community I can have a conversation with my mum and thst conversation could go on through out the day when I had her with me for three months but on the phone she will ask me several times the same question which then dominates the whole phone call 

Which is why I understand  but there is always the option on here to ignore or not reply the choice is ours  there is fault on both sides if you look at it objectavily doesn't realy matter how long or how many people you have helped if you have said the wrong thing then you have said the wrong thing ? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 sorry to hear you are so unwell with covid for the 3rd time of having it 

I'm not doubting you but for my own knowledge was just curious as I was led to believe you could only get it once and then you had the antibodies as they are using cells from people who have had it to give to those who are ill 
  • Lisatho11987777
    My white blood cells were damaged anyway becsuse I have lupus  when I got corona virus the first time I was worse than I am now  the second time I got it going to a hospital appointment  and this time from my eye appointment 

You don't build up antibodies but they are saying now thst someone who has had corona virus gives blood so they can put blood into someone who hasn't to see if that builds it up but thst is only being trialed now 

In wales two  nurses who had the vaccinations  one and two have since caught corona virus since thry had it done 

No one knows enough about it it can damage the heart the lungs the liver your sight your smell your taste your hearing your sleep  its a horrible thing its annoying when you already know you got it and it says this 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have had it nearly a week lol 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 my doctor told me that i could get more than once the first time I got it 

A cold is a form of corona virus and there has never been a cure for that either 

From my experience  in a job I did this covid 19 will run its 4 year course its going into its second year now after four years its strength will be lost and it will turn into a seasonal winter problem 

The corona virus didn't survive so well in the summer but it also doesn't survive in Iceland the antarctic somewhere like that which is pretty weird because it has still spread in hot countries 

There is so much more to know about this virus  the mutated version we have now has a faster rate of spreading some people have had it 4 times   my next door neighbor is on her 4th time 

It will be a long lockdown this time 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @lisathomas50 interesting info I know there is still lots to learn about this horrible virus 

Hope you feel better soon have you considered if you should go to hospital ? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 I have been in hospital because I have lupus they have given me the treatment I needed and I have come home with oxygen and I have a nurse come in the morning and dinner time and comes in at teatime then twice in the night 

My breathing is alot better today 

Brightness