Disability specific employment - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability specific employment

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lisathomas50

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with the virus again, I really hope you get better soon. Please remember to follow the relevant advice, such as this from the NHS, and ensure to look after yourself. If you feel as though your condition is worsening and it is concerning you, then speak with your medical professional about what you should do.

Hi @MrAllen1976
    Glad to hear you've been applying for some things, it's worth noting that the shops you've applied to will be closed right now and might take time to get back to you because of this. Keep it up though, the more eggs you have in the basket then the better, as long as it's a role you're interested in :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope since I last spoke I went in to hospital back out now and I have oxygen and a nurse  comring I have always followed the rules thats what is annoying  me 

First time I had it was when I was working as a carer  the second  time from a hospital appointment and this time from my eye appointment 

There alit if people not following the rules and the new virus is sweeping across Wales I live in a village where only one thousand people live and gor our village today there is 600 cases we have already had 22 deaths here including  children only food drliverys and delivery's are allowed to stop in the village its hitting Wales pretty bad when they brought me home from hospital there were 12 ambulances waiting with patients in them waiting to be seen 

I dont practice Christianity but I prsyed to god for help today the nurse who came to me was on her way home from her shift to check on me this morning and she had just done 14hrs and she ssid its heart breaking and she said I am better being treated at home she is going to be my nurse fir next seven days so I know she will be ok she is lovely and lives in the village 

• Ross_Alumni
    I'm glad you have the support of the nurse @lisathomas50, take it easy and look after yourself :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Ross_Scope thank you this group is keeping me going  night time is the worse 
  • Ross_Alumni
    I'm glad the community helps you @lisathomas50.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    @Ross_Scope I found 2 local employers in Sheffield via that disability confident employers list and have sent some emails after Googling their websites.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lisathomas50 - you mention that, 'You don't build up antibodies but they are saying now thst someone who has had corona virus gives blood so they can put blood into someone who hasn't to see if that builds it up but thst is only being trialed now.' Might you say more, & give links, please.
    My understanding from recent news was that in a retrospective 5 month trial, 83% of those tested positive for Covid-19 didn't contract it again in that 5 month period. Hopefully we'll learn more in the coming months, but who told you that you don't 'build up antibodies?' That seems to be the whole point of currently available vaccines.
    Also please say where you've found out that blood from those identified with Coronavirus is being trialed to help people. It seems like messenger RNA is used with the Pfizer vaccine, which triggers your body to produce antibodies & stimulates your immune cells to therefore help protect a person should they contract Covid-19. A genetically modified virus (from a Chimpanzee's cold) is the model for the Oxford vaccine, which is cheaper to make, & doesn't need to be stored at such low temperatures.
    Anyone interested please see some questions & answers here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/03/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-questions-answered/
    I hope you are feeling better soon; you've been through a lot, Do keep on taking care.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds I am part of the office for national statistics covid research and they take swabs and blood each month to check for antibodies so there must be some connection to antibodies 

I know they were asking for those who had the virus to donate and most vaccines you are given the virus in order to build up antibodies 

One if the reasons I asked lisa the question and hope this doesn't concern other members thinking the same thing 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I have to say (careful John think before you type) that i am concerned to read that you can get CV19 more than once over a short period, everything i've read and understood lead me to believe otherwise, the last time i left the house was 23rd Dec. and i will probably have to go out this week. I don't expect to have the jab until the spring. @janer1967 I have to say i agree with what you say and i think many will be concerned.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    As with anything we all have our own opinions and I for one will go with what I hear from the professionals and scientists on the matter . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    There's some information here regarding immunity to Covid, which does say that a recent study led by Public Health England (PHE) shows most people who have had the virus are protected from catching it again for at least five months (the duration of the analysis so far).

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer & @woodbine - my daughter does part time work for ONS (Office for National Staistics), but nothing to do with Covid-19, however I realise their importance. I have to say I couldn't agree with you more....you are given a very small part of the virus (messenger RNA or mRNA), which triggers the production of antibodies & stimulates our bodies T cells to help protect the immune system, which helps protect against Covid-19.
    I've spent part of this morning looking at the medical info to check what I 'thought was correct.' As mentioned, the statistics seem to show, & this was just looking back at the last 5 months, that 83% of people who were found to have had Covid-19 didn't get it again in that 5 month period. So, a minority may get Covid-19 again. More will be known the longer this pandemic goes on with further longer retrospective studies.
    I just felt it would help our members to know more too by looking at respected resources. If anyone wants links to medical papers about the Pfizer or Oxford vaccines I would be pleased to provide further info. I do feel it's important to ask questions to balance things out, & give the best possible advice about Covid. We all need to know as much as possible.
  • janer1967
    I suppose there are always exceptions to every rule 83% is a very positive result but does show minority may get infected again 

As above it is very early days in the research but I think they have all worked well to even have a vaccine ready this quick 

• Lisatho11987777
    @chiarieds my blood test said I have no antibodies  i had corona virus in beginning of March again at the end of July  and now again I had a blood test again for an antibody test abd still no anti bodys  

The blood transfer thing was in the news didn't take much notice 

I  can get  confirmation if you wish thst I am now on the third time of getting corona virus 

What you have to understand is that a obe point there were three different strains in the UK and the mutation of the corona virus now  there may be more strains no one knows if you had a different strain in the first place then you can get it again if the strain is different  the corona virus nurse who comes in to check me has told me all this and my own dr 

Then the corona virus mutated  which is why I got again there have been lots of people who have had corona virus again we have a corona virus group in wales and there are loads of people who have had it more than once  a few weeks ago on the news it was saying how many proplechad it more than once 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Imunity  doesn't last long if you had it in the first place and as you can see the times I got corona virus there were gaps  

They are also saying you can still get the corona virus even if your vaccinated  also as you can see from my previous posts that I was in high risk areas at the time the three times I have caught it one as a carer one from the hospital and one in my eye appointment 

If there is a different strsin yes you can catch it again I have lupus do my immune system doesnt work properly any way which is why I am at home being cared fir as I am a higher risk the nurse who is looking after me has had it twice 

I know one thing I won't be going out again until its gone away I definitely don't want it again 

Effectively you could get the corona virus every few months if its a different strains 

I have spoken to my friend in Oxford who says there is not enough information and it could be months before they know if the vaccinations have worked becsuse the vacines were made before the mutated version of corona virus  whst she did say was at the moment its being said you could still get corona virus after being vaccinated 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine it was monts apart and three times I was in high risk areas first time I was a carer in the community 2nd time a hospital  appointment and this time an eye appointment  
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 this isn't my opinion this is happening to me 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Ross_Scope well it was until now I hope that people on hete dint get it once that alibe three times 
  • Lisatho11987777
    You can find loads of information on line and from Oxford  I am on my third corona virus infection I don't realy know why but it does happen and is happening 

Information changes every day from my own working experience in Oxford when I was younger only my opinion 

The corona virus will more than likely run its course 4 to 5 years strains will change the virus will more than likely mutate probably twice more  vaccinations will work but not for long lengths as the virus will keep changing so more vacines will be needed as things change hopefuly the virus will weaken its self  where it will only survive at certain times of the year and become a seasonal virus or best sernario  it will burn its self out and will only come back now and then as the plague did all those years ago

This is my opinion nothing else 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hi @lisathomas50

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings on the subject, the discussion above is an interesting one. I'm sure that nobody was doubting that you have the virus, more just expressing surprise that you've contracted it for a third time, because it's quite a rare thing which I'm sure you'll agree with. Stories in the media have been few and far between about people getting it twice, let alone a third time, so I'm certain you have all our sympathy and best wishes. I hope you feel okay today.

Just a friendly reminder that while the conversation around the virus, immunity and the vaccine is a fascinating one to have, it isn't the purpose of this thread. We are here to talk about the subject of employment and how somebody might work towards gaining it. 

If you wish to start a separate thread about the subject then please feel free, but it would be best if this one remains on topic as much as possible. I hope people don't mind but I will leave the screenshots up a little longer so that people have chance to read them and then remove them from the thread, as the amount of scrolling might put others off from commenting here.

Again though, thanks for providing your thoughts and opinions on the matter everybody.

@MrAllen1976
    Glad to hear you've sent off a couple of emails, I do hope you hear back soon but please keep in mind that any response might be delayed by the pandemic. Do you intend on sending out any more enquiries?

Brightness